Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD most likely has the better RT solution then Sony does, if it is the case that Sony went with their own.

This is based on what exactly? AMD is nearly 2 years late to the RT party and you have a Sony ex-engineer questioning AMD's s implementation even comparing it to 2 years old Nvidia tech... assessing it as inferior, as well as raising specific situations where DXR does not work well.

This is based on what exactly? AMD is nearly 2 years late to the RT party and you have a Sony ex-engineer questioning AMD's s implementation even comparing it to 2 years old Nvidia tech... assessing it as inferior, as well as raising specific situations where DXR does not work well.
But then the question is, if AMD is late 2 years, a company that specializes in GPUs, has such a weak implementation, how can we even imagine that Sony has managed to create out of the blue an even better solution?
To be honest his replies makes me more "worried" because it sounds more like the gibberish that MS was spreading back when the XOne was announced and was clearly the weaker console.

But then the question is, if AMD is late 2 years, a company that specializes in GPUs, has such a weak implementation, how can we even imagine that Sony has managed to create out of the blue an even better solution?
To be honest his replies makes me more "worried" because it sounds more like the gibberish that MS was spreading back when the XOne was announced and was clearly the weaker console.

Who says it's out of the blue? Who says it was Sony by it's own? There were companies working on Ray Tracing long before DXR came along like PowerVR. There was talk on this thread a few weeks ago about a company licensing their RT solutions and they even mentioned gaming consoles..

Personally, I hope Sony are using their own RealTime RayTracing solution. At least that would give us something to talk about over the course of nextgen. That's instead of them being even more HD-Twins like PS3 and X360 were.

Who says it's out of the blue? Who says it was Sony by it's own? There were companies working on Ray Tracing long before DXR came along like PowerVR. There was talk on this thread a few weeks ago about a company licensing their RT solutions and they even mentioned gaming consoles..
Sounds like a less efficient and a more complicated way to go through.
AMD is the second major player in the industry, NVIDIA's biggest competitor. They are the ones most likely to have invested the most and most likely to have been closer towards implementing their own solutions that will become mainstream. It should be expected that they have moved farther compared to others and it should expected that the implementation of these features by the same company that makes the console's GPU might offer easier real world solutions.
Really how much better is a company like PowerVR positioned compared to AMD?
Adding other vendor's technologies and expecting maximum implementation on a GPU made by AMD sounds like a harder task to coordinate.
In a world where multiplatform games and ports become more important, going the more complicated route is not longer suitable. It was back in the 90s and the 00s.
Where have we seen PowerVR's proven prowess in RT and DRX equivalent?
MS went the better route

Personally, I hope Sony are using their own RealTime RayTracing solution. At least that would give us something to talk about over the course of nextgen. That's instead of them being even more HD-Twins like PS3 and X360 were.

Good god I hope not. Or these pages will be filled by “How many bounces my platform can do” “How many gigarays” “how many inches is it tho” “does it do real time boob illumibounce” ad infinitum.

But such custom solution would surely not be integrated into the function blocks of the GPU itself and be able to share caches and other resources. That looks like a waste of chip space and transaction bandwidth to me to feed such custom RT engine.

It wouldn't be out of the blue but years of R&D. Potentially going back to before AMD considered producing RT hardware, which, two years after nVidia introduced RTX, looks to be a 'rush job' in response to RTX. Not saying RDNA's solution is a rush job, but if just going by appearances, AMD have committed less time to RTRT than Sony. Sony's photon mapping patent dates back to 2014.

MS went the better route
How (and why?!) are people judging not only technology that isn't even out yet, but technology we don't even know what it might be?! With zero idea what RT is in PS5, you're able to state MS went the 'better route'??

Seriously, B3D, people! Let's see what the tech is, and then discuss it open-mindedly. An alternative RTRT tech is desperately wanted to fuel some decent, meaty tech debates!

Last edited:
But such custom solution would surely not be integrated into the function blocks of the GPU itself and be able to share caches and other resources. That looks like a waste of chip space and transaction bandwidth to me to feed such custom RT engine.
Could it be done with chiplets if the API's supported it?

A custom solution could be anything. There's no way of knowing what its limits are without knowing what the tech actually is.

It wouldn't be out of the blue but years of R&D. Potentially going back to before AMD considered producing RT hardware, which, two years after nVidia introduced RTX, looks to be a 'rush job' in response to RTX. Not saying RDNA's solution is a rush job, but if just going by appearances, AMD have committed less time to RTRT than Sony. Sony's photon mapping patent dates back to 2014.

How (and why?!) are people judging not only technology that isn't even out yet, but technology we don't even know what it might be?! With zero idea what RT is in PS5, you're able to state MS went the 'better route'??

Seriously, B3D people! Let's see what the tech is, and then discuss it open-mindedly. An alternative RTRT tech is desperately wanted to fuel some decent, meaty tech debates!
This reminds me of the CELL. They went for the multi core CPU before anyone else. And what did we get?
This sounds more like a custom solution, and going with PowerVR for it as suggested above sounds like a peculiar choice.
Unless they worked with AMD for max implementation which again sounds kinda off or probably they managed to partially create MS's implementation for the Series X just like they partially created the 360 CPU.
Patents dont mean much by themselves.

I do not believe Sony would be using ImgTec RayTracing. Considering the blog post going over what improvements they're still working on, their product wouldn't have been ready in time for devkits last year. Though I am looking forward to see what magic Rys can work in RT when it does hit the market.

Sounds like a less efficient and a more complicated way to go through.
AMD is the second major player in the industry, NVIDIA's biggest competitor. They are the ones most likely to have invested the most and most likely to have been closer towards implementing their own solutions that will become mainstream. It should be expected that they have moved farther compared to others and it should expected that the implementation of these features by the same company that makes the console's GPU might offer easier real world solutions.
Really how much better is a company like PowerVR positioned compared to AMD?
Adding other vendor's technologies and expecting maximum implementation on a GPU made by AMD sounds like a harder task to coordinate.
In a world where multiplatform games and ports become more important, going the more complicated route is not longer suitable. It was back in the 90s and the 00s.
Where have we seen PowerVR's proven prowess in RT and DRX equivalent?
MS went the better route

Eh. TBD. One advantage so far is that MS went the more widely adopted route if Sony is not on RDNA 2 RT. Remains to be seen which is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back