Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how early they opted out of RDNA2.

Plus isn't ray tracing pretty much a DXR feature at the moment? Does any other 3D graphics API for gaming support it? It's also quite recent, so Sony could have preferred to go ahead with their own solution in case AMD screwed up.

Depends how early they opted out of RDNA2.
I guess but I would think that if Sony was working on a custom RT solution and they were aware that AMD was also developing an RT solution they would at least at some point want to know what AMD's solution looked like. If Sony did develop custom RT why not at least see how their solution stacks up against what AMD has available to them. I'm just surprised he doesn't already know the answers to the questions he asking.

I guess but I would think that if Sony was working on a custom RT solution and they were aware that AMD was also developing an RT solution they would at least at some point want to know what AMD's solution looked like. If Sony did develop custom RT why not at least see how their solution stacks up against what AMD has available to them. I'm just surprised he doesn't already know the answers to the questions he asking.

I think he does know the answer. It's a rethorical question.

If he is being that specific about certain things I suspect they have an idea of what their solution addresses/enhances over AMD's solution. I mean that's sort of what he is doing in that rhetorical tweet...

It could be that they were proposed something from AMD but had already been doing their own research and decided to go that route. But I would expect if they decided to go that route they'd be cut off from info from AMD about that product. These decisions would have been made years ago.

If he is being that specific about certain things I suspect they have an idea of what their solution addresses/enhances over AMD's solution. I mean that's sort of what he is doing in that rhetorical tweet...
Yeah, it smells like a taunt, phrased as a question so it can't be confirmed.

I hope it is a taunt - it'll make next-gen more exciting if the two boxes aren't identical, and I like the sound of his RT features. :devilish:

I hope it is a taunt - it'll make next-gen more exciting if the two boxes aren't identical, and I like the sound of his RT features. :devilish:

He has doubled down on it in more detail. I think it's now 99% certain that they do differ.

Yes I can see that angle as well. Or it sounds like he's questioning whether MS really has true RDNA 2 possibly? This quote makes me wonder if that's the case. "Very curious to see how directly these questions get addressed."

BGs - vetted VR dev at neogaf said:
I can't say anything about the devkits. Although I can say something now that Microsoft has officially published the "number". And what I can say is the following:

If XsX is "12TF" then PS5 is not "9.2TF".

Similarly, if PS5 is "9.2TF" then XsX is not "12TF".

My take is that he doesnt know the exact numbers, however he's under the impression that the diffrence is smaller than 3 TF

They either know everything about rdna2 because they’re using it (including the possibility they’ve beefed it up) or they’re totally custom and he expects they’re better, or he’s just genuinely curious because he’s an engineer.

They either know everything about rdna2 because they’re using it (including the possibility they’ve beefed it up) or they’re totally custom and he expects they’re better, or he’s just genuinely curious because he’s an engineer.
Sadly, that's a very realistic option.

His twitter bio says "formerly Principal Software Engineer for PS5"

Wonder what he was involved with and when he left?

I can't say anything about the devkits. Although I can say something now that Microsoft has officially published the "number". And what I can say is the following:

My take is that he doesnt know the exact numbers, however he's under the impression that the diffrence is smaller than 3 TF

My take is he is being vague on purpose and hoping that enough will line up with what the actual end products ends up being for him to to gain some "insider cred".

Why would a developer ever put TF in quotes?

His following tweet reads even more like a taunt:

I guess we should consider that the PS5 will be a significantly larger departure from AMD's RDNA2 for PC than the SeriesX.

Why would a developer ever put TF in quotes?
He's not a dev. He's a retailer afaik.
EDIT: sorry mistook with OsirisBlack. BGs is a vetted VR dev on GAF.
Quotes probably mean it's 12.x or 11.x that was rounded down/up for 12TF, but he can't be more precise.

At ResetEra Dictator from DigitalFoundry and others already broke down his tweet question and gave their own reactions.

His following tweet reads even more like a taunt:

I guess we should consider that the PS5 will be a significantly larger departure from AMD's RDNA2 for PC than the SeriesX.

He's not a dev. He's a retailer afaik.
EDIT: sorry mistook with OsirisBlack. BGs is a vetted VR dev on GAF.
Quotes probably mean it's 12.x or 11.x that was rounded down/up for 12TF, but he can't be more precise.

He quoted 9.2TF, too, though. It's a really weird thing to do if you are at all technical. TF aren't up for interpretation. They are a defined thing.

AMD screwed up

AMD most likely has the better RT solution then Sony does, if it is the case that Sony went with their own. Sony could have started their PS5 development earlier then MS did with their XSX, and went with RDNA1 and their own RT solution. Multiplat games will benefit mostly MS then, with Sony only their first party AAA games. This wouldn't be a good position to be in imo.

That would be absolutely right, as everything points to a 2.8TF differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back