Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone was parroting the Emotion Engine, Super Computer, CG graphics, the Cell Processor, Graphics Synthesizer, Blu Ray, real High Def visuals and all that every time the next Playstation was revealed
And Sony can call their chips something pretentious and quote next-gen visuals, future technologies, fastest PlayStation ever, blah blah. They don't have to give any specific figures. Show a couple of great looking PS exclusives and full BC with your existing library, and the fans will be happy.

And Sony can call their chips something pretentious and quote next-gen visuals, future technologies, fastest PlayStation ever, blah blah. They don't have to give any specific figures. Show a couple of great looking PS exclusives and full BC with your existing library, and the fans will be happy.
Not if the competition can respond to any of these with tangible proof + their own PR marketing.

Ask Nintendo...you know, Nintendo is in complete different position, even give Sony and Microsoft 20 years of time i doubt they can touch them.

Not if the competition can respond to any of these with tangible proof + their own PR marketing.

So like the competition announcing they can play your existing Sony library too? There is no way to respond to that at all.

Seriously, the vast majority of consumers will just upgrade to the next version of their current console, sony to sony and ms to ms. Some may switch camps but that minor. Some may go multicamp because they can play multiple generations of games they may not have before. To me, having both systems be fully BC is the best reason to be multi-camped than ever before. No reason to miss out on any game.

So like the competition announcing they can play your existing Sony library too? There is no way to respond to that at all.

Seriously, the vast majority of consumers will just upgrade to the next version of their current console, sony to sony and ms to ms. Some may switch camps but that minor. Some may go multicamp because they can play multiple generations of games they may not have before. To me, having both systems be fully BC is the best reason to be multi-camped than ever before. No reason to miss out on any game.
Well I accept BC plays a role but I doubt it solidifies the market so strongly that we cant expect a platform switch. Some people who switched to a PS4 were originally 360 players. Many switched even after the BC was announced for XBOX One. If there is a significant performance advantage to market that will show up, and are accommodated by the games to show it off, people will shift were they perceive the gaming experience will be better. Sony leads by a difference without any form of BC currently. MS will bet more on exclusives this time around

Well I accept BC plays a role but I doubt it solidifies the market so strongly that we cant expect a platform switch. Some people who switched to a PS4 were originally 360 players. Many switched even after the BC was announced for XBOX One. If there is a significant performance advantage to market that will show up, and are accommodated by the games to show it off, people will shift were they perceive the gaming experience will be better.
Exactly, and it only needs to be the early adopters who are performance conscious, after that it's the, I game on what my (early adopter)friends game on crowd, and the which one is most powerful crowd. Cheap gamers bring up the rear after the gen has already been decided.

Well I accept BC plays a role but I doubt it solidifies the market so strongly that we cant expect a platform switch. Some people who switched to a PS4 were originally 360 players. Many switched even after the BC was announced for XBOX One. If there is a significant performance advantage to market that will show up, and are accommodated by the games to show it off, people will shift were they perceive the gaming experience will be better. Sony leads by a difference without any form of BC currently. MS will bet more on exclusives this time around
I agree and disagree.
This page here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox
With the exception of less than a handful of titles (< 5) the rest are entirely mp/online connected/GaaS type games.
We've never had that type of thing before in the last generation and the idea you didn't support BC would mean all these companies would have to rerelease new versions for next gen and they'd have to wait.

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to drop the biggest selling titles. Imagine getting a PS5 for little Mikey and Sandy and not being able to play Minecraft, Fortnite, Apex Legends, some EA Sports title, CoD, Destiny with your friends that haven't yet upgraded. Or because the title hasn't been released or patched for the next generation.

That would be a collosal way to slow down your adoption rate to next generation. if the goal is to move everyone as quickly as possible away from this generation and to move them to next; that library needs to move forward as well. The anchor in this case; are those games that people are invested in. New style games are all designed to keep you locked in. And I also hate that many games with Season Passes have 'FOMO' mechanisms built in to require players to be playing and buying month round.

Last edited:
this is from the admin of TechPowerUp, who warns that this is temporary data and things could change.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-5-gpu.c3480

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-x-gpu.c3482

ENYbXXqWkAAwQLv

ENYbXXqXYAA0PGE

MOD EDIT: URLs merged into post.

Last edited by a moderator:
from TechPowerUp:
For the sake of improving your post; could you please post the URL that you got that from into your post. I can't google it; and I don't see context around it.

Last edited:
But where is techpowerup getting their info? 8GB of RAM for PS5, and 12GB of RAM for Xbox? I'm assuming that's whats available after the OS reserves 4GB? Otherwise, wtf. Maybe they're really relying on fast data streaming off disc so they didn't have to use as much RAM to pre-load things. Not sure that's a bet that will pay off. SSDs are fast, but not RAM fast.

But where is techpowerup getting their info? 8GB of RAM for PS5, and 12GB of RAM for Xbox? I'm assuming that's whats available after the OS reserves 4GB? Otherwise, wtf. Maybe they're really relying on fast data streaming off disc so they didn't have to use as much RAM to pre-load things. Not sure that's a bet that will pay off. SSDs are fast, but not RAM fast.

At least the RAM and die size section of PS5 is just directly copied from a Navi 10 table, it even says Navi 10... and the die size is the same 251mm2 as Navi 10, so clearly this information isn't correct for PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back