Yomiuri Daily: CELL only upto 10X as powerful as other CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadmeat

Banned
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20040122wo11.htm

Cell means 'Goodbye Mr. chip'

Yomiuri Shimbun

Toshiba Corp., Sony Corp. and IBM Corp. expect to revolutionize the home electronics business as early as the end of next year through a project to jointly mass-produce a cutting-edge semiconductor that will be widely used in such devices as next-generation digital appliances and home-use game consoles, The Yomiuri Shimbun learned Wednesday.

The advanced microprocessing unit (MPU), referred to as a "Cell," is expected to be put on the market as the next generation of integrated semiconductor. The circuit width will be half that of currently mass-produced advanced chip models.

The circuits of advanced chips currently used for such devices as personal computers and mobile phones measure 130 nanometers in width. A nanometer is one-billionth of a meter.

The three firms developed a technology enabling the mass production of circuits as small as 65 nanometers wide, providing a leap forward from the current so-called next-generation semiconductors that feature 90-nanometer-wide circuits. Such next-generation chips only went into mass production last year.

Early this fiscal year, Toshiba began building a semiconductor production line at its plant in Oita, the firm's base for large-scale integrated chip production, spending about 200 billion yen. The new, more advanced semiconductor Cells are expected to be mass-produced at the plant.

A senior Sony official said the company is considering an investment in the Oita plant and talks are reportedly under way between the two firms with Sony to bear the cost of manufacturing Cells at the plant for its own use.

The functional capacity of the Cell will be up to 10 times larger than conventional MPUs. The Cell is expected to be used in all kinds of digital and network peripherals, ranging from DVD recorders and digital televisions to computerized air conditioners and refrigerators.

Sony is said to be planning to install the Cell in successive models of the popular Playstation 2 game console produced by its affiliate, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Thanks to the Cell's high data-processing capability, users will be able to instantly load large volumes of moving image data through broadband transmission or recreate computer graphic images as smoothly as live-action images.

The volumes of information exchanged between devices will also increase by a large margin. The Cell is expected to drastically enhance the distribution of films, television programs, games and other data via the Internet.
Only up to 10X as powerful as conventional processors? There goes Panajev's teraflop dreams down the drain....

Is that 10x the power of chips in dvd players and cell phones, 10x the most powerful consumer chip, or 10x more powerful than anything running at the same mhz?

And wasn't the ps3 supposed to have multiple cell apus? Is it 10x the power for all or just one?(and how many would be all?)

Is that 10x the power of chips in dvd players and cell phones, 10x the most powerful consumer chip, or 10x more powerful than anything running at the same mhz?
10x the power of PC processors, I presume.

And wasn't the ps3 supposed to have multiple cell apus? Is it 10x the power for all or just one?(and how many would be all?)[
10x the power per chip

Let's do a quck math here.

1 Ghz CELL with 2 PEs = 16 APUs x 1 Ghz x 8 FLOPS = 128 GFLOPS

This is roughly 10x the power of 3 Ghz Pentium4s. The numbers seem correct.

The functional capacity of the Cell will be up to 10 times larger than conventional MPUs

capacity- determines how much "functionality the chip" can hold. Not how much it can do.

larger- determines a value more associated with quantity, rather than power or magnitude.

So I'd guess that this means it can be used for more "things" unlike other microprocessing units.

Or it could just be some quirky language, and the person wanted to say Cell will be 10 times faster and more powerful than current cpus.

Speng.

a 128 GFLOP PS3 CPU compared to the 6.2 GFLOP PS2 CPU

that would give PS3 CPU about 20.6x (twenty point six times) the floating point performance of PS2's CPU. in terms of raw power.

then we can expect PS3's GPU to add a further 64 GFLOPs. so combined with the CPU, PS3 in total should have roughly 30x the performance of PS2, just in terms of floating point performance.

that's still FAR from the whole picture, though.

PS3 is almost gaurnteed to have hardwired rendering features that PS2 did not have.

as well as improved latency/efficiency.

all of this making the difference between PS2 and PS3 even greater than just 30x.

this is just rough speculation. not enough hard info to say "well, PS3 will be xx times more powerful than PS2"

I expect overall, PS3 to be a similar leap over PS2, that PS2 was over PS1.

The functional capacity of the Cell will be up to 10 times larger than conventional MPUs.
Now I have no idea what kind of power Cell will have, but the quote does say will. That could mean you need to compare it to conventional CPUs at the time Cell is available. Pentiums will be much faster by then.

Well you know, being ten times faster than something is very very good. If Cell was 10x more powerful than conventional processors I would be very impressed indeed!

The way they worded is making me suspicious. Why say 10 times the functional capacity instead of times the performance...speed, power, etc...? Why compared it to MPU instead of CPU and which multi processing unit are they refering to?

I could have swore DM a while ago was saying BE would only max out at 32GFLOPS going from the Blue Gene chart?

But anyway, your all in for a shock if you think Sony and Toshiba will only top BE out at 128GFLOPS.

Paul said:
I could have swore DM a while ago was saying BE would only max out at 32GFLOPS going from the Blue Gene chart?

But anyway, your all in for a shock if you think Sony and Toshiba will only top BE out at 128GFLOPS.
I thought he said 32gflops per apu ?

32GFLOPS per APU is what the Patent says Sony wants to achieve. DM after looking at the Blue gene chart a while back deduced that BE must come in at 32GFLOPS total..

He made threads about it.

Actually I saw this article long ago, but refused to post it as it does not cite any credible source as reference.

EDIT: This in no way give any representation of my opinion about GFLOPS numbers or whatever statistics pple are so obsessed about.

Paul said:

32GFLOPS per APU is what the Patent says Sony wants to achieve. DM after looking at the Blue gene chart a while back deduced that BE must come in at 32GFLOPS total..

He made threads about it.
I dunno , it may have been when my back was messed up again .

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
10x the power of PC processors, I presume.

And wasn't the ps3 supposed to have multiple cell apus? Is it 10x the power for all or just one?(and how many would be all?)[
10x the power per chip

Let's do a quck math here.

1 Ghz CELL with 2 PEs = 16 APUs x 1 Ghz x 8 FLOPS = 128 GFLOPS

This is roughly 10x the power of 3 Ghz Pentium4s. The numbers seem correct.

DM MPUs are not regular PC chips....I believe that Multi processing units right .....or am I wrong?

I posted this http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9964 so recently.....

ANYHOW, how can we miss this juicy bit,

Toshiba Corp., Sony Corp. and IBM Corp. expect to revolutionize the home electronics business as early as the end of next year

This article sposed to be a very recent one...so Cell in 2006 would go alone with many's guestimation. I think though Sony can do PS3 in late 2005 Japan, just like they did PS1 late 1994, IF they feel the heat from MS guestimated US late 2005.

speng said:
capacity- determines how much "functionality the chip" can hold. Not how much it can do.

larger- determines a value more associated with quantity, rather than power or magnitude.

So I'd guess that this means it can be used for more "things" unlike other microprocessing units.

Which would, um, make sense as it's the lead sentence talking about using the architecture in other products.

Don't tell me Deadmeat is again taking things out of context for this futile crusade against the evil Michael Jackson supporting Sony... the more things change...

DM MPUs are not regular PC chips....I believe that Multi processing units right .....or am I wrong?
No, it is a Japanese word for CPU.

CPU -> MPU in Japan.
VCR -> VTR in Japan.

and so on....

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/ynews/20040122it01.htm

新開発のセルは、現在のMPUの数倍から10倍程度の性能を持つ。デジタル多用途ディスク(DVD)レコーダーやデジタルテレビのほか、エアコンや冷蔵庫といったネット家電など、あらゆるデジタル機器やネットワーク機器に幅広い利用が見込まれる

In the original Japanese language version, the word "performance" is clearly used. I don't know why the translator used the world "Functional Capacity"(Auto translation software???) But in the original Japanese article it was "performance".

Above lines says that CELL will have upto 10 times performance of conventional MPUs.

Re: ...

Deadmeat said:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/ynews/20040122it01.htm

新開発のセルは、現在のMPUの数倍から10倍程度の性能を持つ。デジタル多用途ディスク(DVD)レコーダーやデジタルテレビのほか、エアコンや冷蔵庫といったネット家電など、あらゆるデジタル機器やネットワーク機器に幅広い利用が見込まれる
In the original Japanese language version, the word "performance" is clearly used. I don't know why the translator used the world "Functional Capacity"(Auto translation software???) But in the original Japanese article it was "performance".

Above lines says that CELL will have upto 10 times performance of conventional MPUs.
Clearly? I've checked two dictionaries:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
性能 (n) ability; efficiency;

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/
性能 ability; capacity; efficiency; performance.

The only thing clearly here is that there are several readings for 性能.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back