Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clearly you are trolling at this point. Please stop.
He said the difference between the Xbox1x and the ps5 will be the same with difference between PS4 and xboxonex, Xoboxonex has an almost 3.5 times stronger gpu (6 vs1.8) so the ps5 should have a 20tf gpu for that to be the case and because I find that unlikely my reply was tongue in cheek .

I think having a Zen in there would justify the $499 tag. You'd have a noticeable upgrade in cpu allowing for higher frame rates and it would pair well with the gpu and ram upgrade. missed opportunity.

Sony spent hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing deals, so everything that was third party that sells consoles was essentially locked up like battlefront 2 etc... no excuse for not having 4K gears, halo, and newer IPs, stuff from Sega even... I was disappointed mostly by price. At $399 they wouyld be feeling chuffed today. instead they wait for the Sony hammer tonight.

The hammer didn't really come. That's the beauty of the top hardware, it is the hammer.

Sony didnt touch the price of any hardware SKU which was their best option to fight back (still a losing option whenever you have to rely on price cuts to fight back, see, Xbox One 2013-17). By default that makes XBX look better today.

So all this to say, do I think 499 is great? No. But the more we move on from the show the more positive I am about it. Put it this way, when they come up for preorder, maybe I'm crazy but with the way things have been selling out lately from Nintendo, I am pulling the trigger quick. Just to be sure...in other words I could see this thing selling out.

I saw a comment on here earlier that Xbox X would have been better at 399 and 8GB RAM. Well, I doubt that was a binary choice, but I cant agree. I dont think PS5 is coming anytime soon, but I'm guessing it almost certainly comes with 16GB RAM, not 32 (if it's before say 2021). So 12GB is a pretty decent hedge against PS5 even being to pass Scorpio much.

Just in general when it comes to hardware V. price I think the correct decision is almost always more hardware. Especially given the generally falling price of technology. 12GB gives it a lot more cachet.

At 399 the thing would have been impossible to keep in stock I bet.

The one good thing about the price is that it will put an end to internet forum arguments about power deciding sales :LOL:

So you're assuming it wont sell? Good luck with that. It's already set the forum hardcore agenda for about a year now based on hype.

And if it didn't come out MS would be up crap creek long term (PS4 winning more than usual in sales thx to Pro for past few months) cause guess what...PS4 Pro is powerfulz. So the power thing is kinda right in your face but yet you cant see it. Never mind arguably the entire reason Ps4 dominated this gen so far was the initial power gap (and price parity too be sure, but I really doubt it would have mattered much).

Anyways, they can cut the price, but cannot tack on more power later. See how that works? Like it's almost a truism this would do well at 449. Since it would then just be a PS4 Pro+ offering pretty good value (~50% more power for 12% more price). And lets say it bombed (it wont) 449 should be easy to get to.

I think it could be a good idea to bracket the market like this. High end and low end. For that to work best they need to really cost reduce XBO though, as it needs to undercut PS4 by at least $50 given well, the power. So like $200-$250 XBO, $500 XBX could work well. We'll see.

Last edited:
So you're assuming it wont sell? Good luck with that. It's already set the forum hardcore agenda for about a year now based on hype.

And if it didn't come out MS would be up crap creek long term (PS4 winning more than usual in sales thx to Pro for past few months) cause guess what...PS4 Pro is powerfulz. So the power thing is kinda right in your face but yet you cant see it. Never mind arguably the entire reason Ps4 dominated this gen so far was the initial power gap (and price parity too be sure, but I really doubt it would have mattered much).

Anyways, they can cut the price, but cannot tack on more power later. See how that works? Like it's almost a truism this would do well at 449. Since it would then just be a PS4 Pro+ offering pretty good value (~50% more power for 12% more price). And lets say it bombed (it wont) 449 should be easy to get to.

I think it could be a good idea to bracket the market like this. High end and low end. For that to work best they need to really cost reduce XBO though, as it needs to undercut PS4 by at least $50 given well, the power. So like $200-$250 XBO, $500 XBX could work well. We'll see.

This is exactly the type of argument i expect to be either validated or finally put to rest once XB1X has been out for a while

If it sells poorly, then we will know that PS4 sales came from brand and games, not power. If it sells gangbusters, then we are in for an arms race

one of the nice things about the XB1X is that it allow the "power sells" hypothesis to be tested. It's not a clear cut test, obviously, but still.

Surely Pro already does this? Sales order is PS4>XBO>Pro and then a few months after XB1X comes out add >XB1X at the end of that list ;)

It's not really good comparisons, and power like everything else only make up part of the package.
If you compare XO to 1X then everyone expects the XO to outsell the 1X due to the casual market.
If you compare 4pro to 1X then other factors come into play like mindshare, market share, game library, perception, etc

In other words I wouldn't expect it to answer that question any time soon :LOL:
Guess if 1X ends up really successful it may show that power helped? If it doesn't do as well, then how do we judge that?
If X1 was speced similarly to 4pro and same price, does anyone think it would outsell it or do better than what X1 will do now?

It's not really good comparisons, and power like everything else only make up part of the package.
If you compare XO to 1X then everyone expects the XO to outsell the 1X due to the casual market.
If you compare 4pro to 1X then other factors come into play like mindshare, market share, game library, perception, etc

In other words I wouldn't expect it to answer that question any time soon :LOL:
Guess if 1X ends up really successful it may show that power helped? If it doesn't do as well, then how do we judge that?
If X1 was speced similarly to 4pro and same price, does anyone think it would outsell it or do better than what X1 will do now?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Pro proves power isn't the be all and end all - otherwise it would have sold more than 1/5th of PS4s since launch. Why people think that 1X will change the rules is beyond me, seriously, over 1S the difference is clear - much like the Pro - you will need a 4K TV to benefit - except this time the upgrade path is much larger. Sure the difference going 1S to 1X is bigger as well but that's the point, this market is those;

Who own a 4K TV (small market) plus own a 1S (again, not a massive market) and have disposable income.

If you have a 4K TV with disposable income you probably already own a decent PC so this likely won't be much of a pull.

If you own a PS4 why would you switch to 1X when you can get a Pro not only cheaper but you can keep all your games.

People keep saying that this is for those who want the best version - well that's the PC version. Add a controller and away you go.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Pro proves power isn't the be all and end all - otherwise it would have sold more than 1/5th of PS4s since launch. Why people think that 1X will change the rules is beyond me, seriously, over 1S the difference is clear - much like the Pro - you will need a 4K TV to benefit - except this time the upgrade path is much larger. Sure the difference going 1S to 1X is bigger as well but that's the point, this market is those;

Who own a 4K TV (small market) plus own a 1S (again, not a massive market) and have disposable income.

If you have a 4K TV with disposable income you probably already own a decent PC so this likely won't be much of a pull.

If you own a PS4 why would you switch to 1X when you can get a Pro not only cheaper but you can keep all your games.

People keep saying that this is for those who want the best version - well that's the PC version. Add a controller and away you go.
So now your saying that it's not about power, but about 4K TV's that is the big factor?
So in that case it doesn't prove that power doesn't sell, as it's about the TV install base.

Also I disagree, there are many benefits to X1 on 1080p displays. We won't know how much untill comparisons.
The same benefits that 4k gets, apart from pixel count, which is replaced with downsampling.
Better textures, performance, loading times, etc

Also 1X 1080p has advantages to XO, performance, loading times, 16AF, Vsynced on every non X1 patched game.

X1 is faster to load 4k games than XO is to load standard ones, and even faster when loading standard games. Again needs independent testing to see how big the differences are.

This was part of the problem I had with the reveal, didn't highlight all the benefits apart from 4K resolution getting the heavy push.

Sounds like a room full of 1080p apologists.
If it was too cheap, it would be impossible to buy ;)
More 1Xs for those who can afford it.

/s :runaway::runaway::love:

Realistically, I see this as being supply limited, in fact that would probably be my greatest fear.
I Do not discount the XBOX crowd, they've got $$$ if $149 USD/ $200 CAD elite controllers being sold out for the first few months are any indication of the disposable income available.
If you want to get in on Scorpio, I think you're going to have to pre-order or wait for the wave following.

This is exactly the type of argument i expect to be either validated or finally put to rest once XB1X has been out for a while

If it sells poorly, then we will know that PS4 sales came from brand and games, not power. If it sells gangbusters, then we are in for an arms race

Still too many variables. At best your going to be making comparisons like, "How does the way the One X is selling relative to the Pro compare to how the One S is selling relative to the Slim?" and then try to adjust for the price difference to try to isolate how power is effecting people's purchase decisions. This assuming we get concrete sales numbers to start.

I really want an XBOX, but that price is a little too steep for me. I'll get one if I can get a good pack-in bundle like if it came with an Elite controller or AAA game for the same price.

I'm also in the market for a good 4K/HDR TV, so a bundle that included a XBOX with it might also be an option.

Right now I'll wait for the price to drop despite really wanting one.

I really want an XBOX, but that price is a little too steep for me. I'll get one if I can get a good pack-in bundle like if it came with an Elite controller or AAA game for the same price.

I'm also in the market for a good 4K/HDR TV, so a bundle that included a XBOX with it might also be an option.

Right now I'll wait for the price to drop despite really wanting one.

Same here. I also have too many other consumer electronic devices competing for my dollars at the $499 and above price point. The new Pixel phone, the HTC Vive, and then the need for a good 4K TV to make the XB1X investment worthwhile. For some odd psychological reason, I could stomach a $399 XB1X with no problem - probably putting off the new phone and Vive and putting those dollars towards a 4k TV. Now, I'm going to wait on the value propositions of the new Pixel and the Vive without a rush to be a Day 1 XB1X purchase.

Sounds like a room full of 1080p apologists.
If it was too cheap, it would be impossible to buy ;)
More 1Xs for those who can afford it.

/s :runaway::runaway::love:

Realistically, I see this as being supply limited, in fact that would probably be my greatest fear.
I Do not discount the XBOX crowd, they've got $$$ if $149 USD/ $200 CAD elite controllers being sold out for the first few months are any indication of the disposable income available.
If you want to get in on Scorpio, I think you're going to have to pre-order or wait for the wave following.

Never buy something with a low serial number. ;)

Doesn't have to be either or. Do you think Pro is a success? It's 20% of PS4 sales says Sony. That's much less than I thought it would be but I still think it's successful, in that I dont think MS could have kept competing without an answer to the Pro. It might be 20% who would not have otherwise bought a PS4. Also, a long timeline is when power tends to shine through. It will snowball, perhaps slowly. 499 will make it difficult for XBX to sell "gangbusters". I think it DEFINITELY would have at 399. But I think it will be successful, and again a longer timeline is where it will really flex (probably eventually requiring a Ps5 to counter, which if you notice as soon as Scorpio began to be talked about, PS5 began to be talked about as the counter)..

I dont think the idea needs testing we have plenty of historical evidence for example Ps4 vs Xbox One, or 360 vs PS3.

Doesn't have to be either or. Do you think Pro is a success? It's 20% of PS4 sales says Sony. That's much less than I thought it would be but I still think it's successful, in that I dont think MS could have kept competing without an answer to the Pro. It might be 20% who would not have otherwise bought a PS4. Also, a long timeline is when power tends to shine through. It will snowball, perhaps slowly. 499 will make it difficult for XBX to sell "gangbusters". I think it DEFINITELY would have at 399. But I think it will be successful, and again a longer timeline is where it will really flex (probably eventually requiring a Ps5 to counter, which if you notice as soon as Scorpio began to be talked about, PS5 began to be talked about as the counter)..

I dont think the idea needs testing we have plenty of historical evidence for example Ps4 vs Xbox One, or 360 vs PS3.

It depends on how we define success? Its a high margin product but still limited mass appeal so in those terms i think XB1X will be a success (atleast in the US) but it wont change the marketshare. I dont buy the narrative that PS4 had a lead due to power, you ignore that it was more powerful but also 100$ cheaper while being out a year earlier. 360 vs PS3 was also not about power, Sony was losing the generation until they managed to come out with cheaper SKUs and strong first party titles

IMO it seems like MS is buying into the forum banter about specs that has been going on and forgetting the reason why 360 was successfull. They had the multiplayer scene but also had some incredibly strong exclusives. Now MS is trying to push hardware while relying on mostly multiplat titles. Wich all have exclusive content and promotion with Sony

Back