HDR gaming on XB1S

Forza Horizon also supports HDR and I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda on PC in HDR . I just wish my TV was better at it. :|

The limitations of my display mean I have to choose from a quite good SDR image or a weak HDR image (most things in any given scene look muted in color and brightness to allow things at the extremes of color and brightness to look, well, extreme). Despite this, I still choose the HDR image, but I'm not sure I can definitively say it looks "better". When you see things like the engines on the ships in ME:A for the first time in HDR and then compare with what they look like in SDR you can see that HDR definitely has its advantages.

Also HDR games list for XBOne S:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/List_of_Xbox_One_S_HDR_Compatible_Games

Games with upgrades for PS4 Pro including some with HDR:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Couldn't (quickly) find a list of OG PS4 HDR games.

Last edited:
Forza Horizon also supports HDR and I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda on PC in HDR . I just wish my TV was better at it. :|

The limitations of my display mean I have to choose from a quite good SDR image or a weak HDR image (most things in any given scene look muted in color and brightness to allow things at the extremes of color and brightness to look, well, extreme). Despite this, I still choose the HDR image, but I'm not sure I can definitively say it looks "better". When you see things like the engines on the ships in ME:A for the first time in HDR and then compare with what they look like in SDR you can see that HDR definitely has its advantages.

Also HDR games list for XBOne S:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/List_of_Xbox_One_S_HDR_Compatible_Games

Games with upgrades for PS4 Pro including some with HDR:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

Couldn't (quickly) find a list of OG PS4 HDR games.
Some additional information...Mini-guide based on Xbox One S about how to enable HDR in 4 different lines of 4K HDR TV models.

http://www.windowsce...-tvs-xbox-one-s

Samsung KS series (2016)

LG 2016 models

Vizio P series (HDR10 added via new firmware)

Sony X800D/Sony X850D

HDR: The weirdest, most intangible display upgrade ever...

OT: My brother got a $1200 PC monitor. It's just an Asus but, 34" ultra wide, gsync, curved display, 144hz I think, it doesn't have HDR AFAIK. But all that to say, HOLY SMOKES IT LOOKS SO GOOD. PS4 Pro (what I mostly used on it) looks amazing. A toaster would look amazing. It's not 4k either, but some sort of 3kX1440 (the widescreen equivalent of 2560X1440)

So yeah, if you buy a $1200 monitor, it will look like it. Now I really want a $500 monitor that can approximate the experience, lol.

Classic Beyond3D Xbox thread...

Something Xbox Something -> something Xbox -> something -> but PS4! -> PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 -> but Xbox! -> thread cleanup -> silence -> thread locked

Tommy McClain

I understand why the list is so short; on Xbox, HDR is essentially behind a 299 dollar paywall (you have to buy a new console as opposed to it being a free software update like on that other console); devs have no incentive to support HDR if only a very small percentage of the userbase has a One S console capable of producing it, let alone needing an HDR tv.

If Microsoft enables it on older consoles as well, then you'll see the list grow over time. More fans of the Xbox enjoying HDR can only be a good thing in my opinion.

On the topic of Xbox One S HDR; was it ever explained why HDR or regular HDMI output in general has a weird gamma curve (clipping off some detail due to higher than normal contrast)?

It's short on both consoles. That's basically what I was wondering, if HDR was getting full support on XB1 being limited to a subset of owners. Turns it out seems to be, being no less supported than on PS4.

HDR will be supported as much as on PS4 in cross-platforms because it's already needed for PS4, ergo it'll be just a port to XB1S. And LDR will have to be implemented for the XB1O

OT: My brother got a $1200 PC monitor. It's just an Asus but, 34" ultra wide, gsync, curved display, 144hz I think, it doesn't have HDR AFAIK. But all that to say, HOLY SMOKES IT LOOKS SO GOOD. PS4 Pro (what I mostly used on it) looks amazing. A toaster would look amazing. It's not 4k either, but some sort of 3kX1440 (the widescreen equivalent of 2560X1440)

So yeah, if you buy a $1200 monitor, it will look like it. Now I really want a $500 monitor that can approximate the experience, lol.
Wait till you and your brother see a HDR game on a proper high end 4k HDR Fald TV, the difference it makes is just beyond words. Gears 4 XB1 S version with HDR on a Z9D looks far better than the SDR PC version on Max settings you simply don't wanna go back to SDR afterwards. You gonna have to experience it to believe it.

I own a curved 34" 3440*1440 IPS monitor (probably the same panel, I just didn't pay ridiculous money for gsync) and a 55" 4K TV with only "mid-end HDR", meaning it uses an 8-bit panel + FRC and edge-lit local dimming.
No, you can't have the approximate experience between such a monitor and a HDR TV playing HDR content.

The difference in contrast and lighting is very big, and if you compared to an OLED or FALD TVs the difference would be huge.

It's short on both consoles. That's basically what I was wondering, if HDR was getting full support on XB1 being limited to a subset of owners. Turns it out seems to be, being no less supported than on PS4.
Probably because HDR support on either platform is very recent?
If you look at it from a different POV, very few high-profile games released since late November are lacking HDR support.

At least for the PS4, the only AAA titles that released in the last 5 months without HDR were Nier Automata, For Honor and Nioh.
The numbers for the Xbone shouldn't be that different, but for now Microsoft has much less incentive to get the devs to use HDR.

Wait till you and your brother see a HDR game on a proper high end 4k HDR Fald TV, the difference it makes is just beyond words. Gears 4 XB1 S version with HDR on a Z9D looks far better than the SDR PC version on Max settings you simply don't wanna go back to SDR afterwards. You gonna have to experience it to believe it.
Honestly I can't wait to get home on Saturday to fire up some HDR games on my new ZD9 :)

Honestly I can't wait to get home on Saturday to fire up some HDR games on my new ZD9 :)
Make sure you try Resi 7, Horizon ZD, UC4 and FFXV, the HDR alone gives them so much more oomph than the standard version. That Backlight Master drive and prodigious brightness of ZD9 are simply transformative.

Well I got my budget solution and bought a 2016 model 55" Samsung KS8005 (9000 in US), should arrive next week. It's edge led, but at this size it should not be as big of a problem as it was on my 78", atleast on a few units I've seen it hasn't been. I'm also tolerant to some flaws with this one as imo I got a pretty good deal on it, only 999 euros. I was looking at a 55" E6 Oled, but I need the TV to be brighter and that model was still over 2k€.

I'd really would have liked to have gotten the ZD9, but that's at 4700€ and I just can't do that right now. A Fald KS9500 65" would have been 3k€, but it's not as good as the ZD9 and still expensive...
I should be ok with my TV for a while. I basically haven't played any game since I returned my 78" in December. Don't need that SDR no more. :)

Back