Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

Again, today I tried to play this game (PS4 Digital Version), again without success:

I really like the batman combat gameplay, game mechanics and stats, I love the whole Tolkien world (and novels that I read several times), the graphics are great, the image quality is ideal with great clarity (when you are not moving...), the game's atmosphere is really impressive in an open world etc.

Congrats to the developers!

But I have 2 fundamental problems with this game that completely prevent me from playing it:

- The important input lag, particularly with the camera (Batman games on consoles had lower input lag, why so much input lag here?)
- The heavy motion blur. You can't slowly look around the environment to just contemplate the superb and crisp scenery (or search things) because the smallest motion triggers a disconcerting and annoying strong blur (like a Depth of field really) around you.

I am really frustrated with this game. I think I'll have to buy it later on PC (if I can deactivate the moblur obviously) because those 2 elements completely kill the fun (and immersion) in this game for me even though I badly want to play and finish it!

Started playing this game. Really good. Compilation of well executed ideas from different games.

Could certainly look better and needs better camera work on the PC. Maxed out at 1600p with a 980GTX and no real wow moments so far but really loving the game itself.

I'm one of those folks for whom the game just isn't clicking. I'm only a few hours in, but it feels like the camera is always working against me when I'm trying to stealth, making it hard to really see what's around me while I'm sneaking about, pressed up against rocks or building structures. I don't mind the combat so far, although it's frustrating at times (might check and see if it's because of the input lag mentioned upthread). I just can't seem to make enjoyable progress because of the camera.

Will spend some more time on it and see if it gels, as @London-boy suggests. I'm playing on PS4. I want to get The Witcher 3 (maybe), but I feel like getting something new to play when I've barely played SoM is a waste of money. Could always trade it in I guess.

I didn't click with me either. After a few hours I never touched it again and don't regret it :)

But I can fully recommend W3! The game is fun, massive and beautiful.

I had to mess around with the camera settings a decent amount to get it to work OK on the pc. Still not ideal but functional.

Having finished the game my biggest issues are such:
- The last 2 boss battles are a total let down. Why have such a wonderful combat system if you can't use it on the bosses
- Side quests lead to nothing so I just stopped doing them. Was hoping for some special weapons or level or anything

fix those in the sequel and I'm game.

I didn't click with me either. After a few hours I never touched it again and don't regret it :)

But I can fully recommend W3! The game is fun, massive and beautiful.
Same here, swpent quite a lot of time with it, loved th enemesis system but the combat, the batman stuff, could not hook me. Also, game felt pretty repetitive after a while. But the open-ness in approaching stuff was great and options of combat were very good too. But it could not SINK its teeth into me, just like FC4. Gave up on both the games after a while.

I can buy this game for 7.50 euro, is it worth it? There is a pro patch which adds a dynamic 4K resolution. I hate TW3 (combat), I have seen most LotR movies. Is it a buy at that price?

I can buy this game for 7.50 euro, is it worth it? There is a pro patch which adds a dynamic 4K resolution. I hate TW3 (combat), I have seen most LotR movies. Is it a buy at that price?
It's truly an awesome game once you get into the swing of things. And by that I mean swinging a sharp piece of metal at squealy pig things with bad dentistry.

Yes! Get it, it feels awkward at the beginning but the nemesis system leads to very fun and sometimes hilarious emergent situations ! Just like Horizon u get so lost in the open world emergent stuff that u forget the main story and never finish it ...like me ! Maybe now I should go back to this after Horizon

Thanks for the advise guys, the game is really good!! I like that it's not too big in scope, and feels very focussed and coherent.
Graphics are also not bad at all! Although I feel like they could have pushed for 60, given that Horizon is locked 30 :( Also f- Horizon, making all other games look like previous generation titles :p
Only downside is the game feels a bit easy, or maybe that's just me with my supernatural reflexes.

Thanks for the advise guys, the game is really good!! I like that it's not too big in scope, and feels very focussed and coherent.
Graphics are also not bad at all! Although I feel like they could have pushed for 60, given that Horizon is locked 30 :(.
The game was the first from the developer for a new console they hadn't worked on before and was cross-platform with the previous generation. HZD is the second from a first party (who would have had earlier access to development kits for their first title) released two years later than Mordor and is platform exclusives so needs make no compromises.

"HZD is a prettier game than yours and it's open world game," is a sucky attitude. I know HZD looks gorgeous, but can everyone please do all the other devs a favour and get off their backs comparing their old games to this latest release as if they just weren't trying hard enough with their first titles? Congratulate GG without belittling everyone else.

If Horizon had antagonistic Dinosaur assholes haunting me like the War Chiefs in SoM (or better yet: some non-cosmetic idea to call its own) I might actually enjoy it. As it is, it's just a really pretty pastiche of countless open-world game that came before it, and for the life of me I cannot understand what's so special about it. The controls are tight and it looks really pretty. Other than that you got your map littered with crap, your towers to climb, crafting 'til the cows come home (we know you like pouches, so how about having a different one for each type of ammo?), some rather sucky traversal mechanics (will not climb rock structure unless yellow piece of wood sticks out), semi-automated stealth, half-assed rpg mechanics complete with a by-the-numbers skill tree, and a cast of incredibly bland characters. Literally everything Ubisoft games are being lambasted for is present and accounted for in Horizon, except Ubisoft at least manages to sneak the occasional cool or odd-ball character past all the corporate mandated bullshit. Last thing I did was "liberate" a Far-Cry-esque bandit camp, and I really cannot remember the last time I encountered enemy A.I. that was quite as rubbish. I literally just circled between conveniently placed bushes, sniped everyone with arrows, and not one single enemy ever bothered to venture outside the compound to go and have a look.

Back