MacBook Pro Battery Woes

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
I've read a few articles about the unpredictable performance of the batteries in the latest MacBook pros along with suggestions for extending battery life, but in all the conjecture I've not seen anyone point a finger at the on board battery manager.

Consumer Reports had rundowns that differed by as much as 7-8 hours. Afaik there's no background task etc that can explain that, but a bug in the battery manager firmware or a faulty ADC could easily produce such a result.

I don't have one of these laptops but I'd like to get one eventually as my Razer 14" is heavy and doesn't run a couple apps I depend on. I just can't buy one until Apple fixes this idiocy.

One theory was that they had problems maximizing battery mass within the new form factor.

They were supposedly working on filling in the rounded spaces with stair-step battery design to compensate for thinner case but they didn't pull it off.

The other complaint is slower RAM and limit of 16 GB RAM. Then the shallow travel on the new keyboard.

All for 20% more!

Hey Mize, you probably heard by now that this was largely caused by a Safari bug, which has since been fixed.

Consumer Reports has handed the new MBP its customary 'Recommended' rating after retesting.

Most websites which report the poorest battery life often use google chrome, and video players which do not have hardware acceleration support.

Back