Self shadowing bumpmapping demo updated with offset mapping

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Longest thread title in history :p

Offset mapping surely adds another notch to the appearance.
selfshadowbumpmapping.jpg

Both self shadowing and offset mapping can be turned off independently so you can compare.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Dunno if it's a problem with my Machine (Cat 3.10, R9700Pro) but on the floor it's not shadowing along the bumps but along the edges of the vertices. Looks really weird.

Re: Self shadowing bumpmapping demo updated with offset mapp

Humus said:
Good thing you don't live in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. ;)

That is a really cool demo Humus. Is it possible to make the brick textures non-shiny? That would make them look even more realistic.

Yeah he could he just used one shader for all the surfaces.

Man I could consider buy a doom 3 licence implement offset mapping and selling just the engine as an update for doom 3 its soo sweet.

Heathen said:
Dunno if it's a problem with my Machine (Cat 3.10, R9700Pro) but on the floor it's not shadowing along the bumps but along the edges of the vertices. Looks really weird.

Got a screenshot of that?

nate240 said:
That is a really cool demo Humus. Is it possible to make the brick textures non-shiny? That would make them look even more realistic.

Well, you can edit the shader and remove "0.3 * specular" or replace it with something less shiny like 0.1 * specular.

good work Humus,I wish I had your talent.

BTW, the demo runs much slower than the last self-shadow demo IIRC, is it because of the additional instructions for generating the texcood offset?

Now that was fast. And as always very impressive. Me & Andy thought that this technique would quite suddenly appear in a lot of places...

Crikey, 1000 posts!

Excellent, Humus, glad to see you made a demo using this technique :)

Edit:
Now the really fun part would be to see if you can manage to accurately combine this bump mapping technique with a global shadowing technique (i.e. shadow buffers, shadow volumes).

I can't wait to get my Radeon 9800 so I can test this demo. The last demo I was able to run was Infinite Terrain, so I have loads of catching up to do, too.

Ah, Geforce 3, you have served me well but now you must be replaced. No hard feelings, eh? You will get a nice antistatic bag to live in.

Edit: typo

Humus said:
Of course “New Demoâ€￾ and “Another New Demoâ€￾ are already used. ;)

Yeah! everytime theres a new demo and you put it on a "NEW DEMO!" thread, i never know if it's really a new demo or if it's an old thread being bumped!

You should keep the names of the demos, like this one, maybe a bit shorter though :D

One day you'll come up with a "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Demo At Full Quality in Real Time, DX12 Required, Full Details Inside" thread, at which point it will be a little too much... ;)

Humus said:

Offset mapping surely adds another notch to the appearance.

Both self shadowing and offset mapping can be turned off independently so you can compare.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

do you use the ps2a profile for gffx cards?

Heathen said:
You shouldn't extract this .zip into the same folder as the old version of the demo :LOL:

Heathen said:
Heathen, I think that you have the same problem as me. You probably installed the contents of the ZIP file in the same directory as the older version. Because of that the demo doesn't recalculate the floor silouette maps, and the same silouettes are used from the old demo. In the old demo the floor had some sort of big tiles.

I solved it by first deleting the directory and reinstalling it from the new ZIP file. I think you will find that it will do that too for you.

991060 said:
BTW, the demo runs much slower than the last self-shadow demo IIRC, is it because of the additional instructions for generating the texcood offset?

That, and because I have improved the lighting slightly.

Back