Nintendo Switch Revelation

The audience of the 3ds seem to be 25 yo kids more than actual kids from what I seen. Kids like ipads more than anything nintendo has mad it a long time.
Well, in that case, then yeah, this is made for those 25 years olds. This thing might have legs after all. I hope nintendo gets their chance to shine some more... As much as I'd love to play mario no xbone & ps4

Well, in that case, then yeah, this is made for those 25 years olds. This thing might have legs after all. I hope nintendo gets their chance to shine some more... As much as I'd love to play mario no xbone & ps4

Its not just 25 year olds. My nephew is 7 and his cousins all have 3ds systems and they play a lot of games on them but their tablets are starting to replace the 3DS for all but the most hardcore games.

If parents can get their kids a tablet that also plays the Nintendo games that appear on their hand helds then that's a good deal for them. I am also sure that kid's tablets are replaced when needed and not every year or two like adults replace their tablets

Does this thing play videos or education and entertainment software besides the Nintendo games?

well the wii and wii u both have Netflix and Hulu . So i'm sure this will have those features. I'd also wager this has some type of app store and if it just running some type of android then Nintendo shouldn't have to much trouble bringing android developers over to it

If it's $300 and over, the parents will want more functionality than just gaming, vs. iPads.

Well no touch screen so I wonder if those education apps. would be ported.

What's the price?

I'd say at least 300. High end android/Apple tablets are about 400. Nintendo might save some money with a smaller, lower resolution screen and by leaving out stuff like GPS. They might also be willing to take a lower margin on the hardware itself but they got a big new chip in there as well as the dock, controllers etc. Even if none of that is particularly expensive to make it is not going to be 200 like I've read some people saying they are willing to spend on this. Nvidia's own tablet is still 200 and that has been on the market a while and doesn't have the best build quality or materials in the world.

So my guess would be 300 with 250 being a possibility if somebody over at Nintendo goes crazy but my guess would be 300 for the base SKU with another SKU at 350 or 400.

Does this thing play videos or education and entertainment software besides the Nintendo games?

Who knows but I suppose it will get some media functionality. Even the 3DS can play movies though you have to convert them first.

I still don't see the point.
Generally, core gamers want cutting edge technology that can play most modern third party games + whatever 1sr party stuff that wets their apetite. They don't care much about playing on the go.
Meanwhile, the portable-games audience wants cheap. And a majority of them are children.
This seems tobnot service either. Too weak for the former, too expensive for the latter.
Those who want a premium portable that can play core games (sort of) have been proved to be a small niche by the psvita.
Maybe the consolidation of all software efforts from console and portable into a single platform might give it enough extra market strength to be moderately successful, but I'm not holding my breath...

No. Core gamers, or rather console gamers, want something that has good enough graphics (not too far off from the competition), at an acceptable price that is easy to use. If core gamers only cared about the latest and greatest everybody would be gaming on pc.

This is obviously aimed at core gamers and not trying to get people new to gaming to pick up the console as was the case with the Wii. Yes they will be sacrificing power so games won't look as good though as long as it's going to be in the same ballpark it probably won't hurt too much. The big advantage obviously is that you can now take your console games with you everywhere as well as easily play multiplayer.

I think the Nintendo Switch can work, I can definitely see the appeal for myself. I hate gaming on my phone because the controls are just shit, it also drains your battery like crazy with is rather annoying because my phone is primarily a communications device, not a gaming device, so running out of juice is a lot more annoying that your gaming station running out of power. Something like a 3DS doesn't really suite my taste but a console that I can use at home as well as while traveling and on top of that allows me to play with somebody else wherever I go, that is very appealing to me. Yeah you can get better graphics on ps4one. Who cares? For graphics I have a pc.

How is it better than the 3ds? By being huge, more complicated and more expensive? Isn't the audience of 3ds kids? Does this looks like something a parent would by his kid?

I don't know. But I'm betting this is the first Nintendo handheld where the majority of the cases targeted at kids come with shoulder straps. LOL.

It's all about software now. Ultimately, if Switch has compelling games, parents will buy it if their children are putting it on their wishlist.

Last edited:
All their marketing in that 3 minute video targeted 20 somethingers.
Is that to get the conversation started that this new device is suitable for more than just kids and to expand outside their core demography, or a strategy of who they must target given a high entry pricepoint?

Because that just works best in ads. Show kids and half the internet will go Nintendo made another kiddy console. Show old people and.. well... Who wants to see old people in a gaming promo?

The ps4 reveal trailer was the same though i think it shows a kid like once or twice.

How is it better than the 3ds? By being huge, more complicated and more expensive? Isn't the audience of 3ds kids? Does this looks like something a parent would by his kid?

Kids all carry 7-10 inch tablets wherever they are these days. Size is hardly a problem. On the other hand the Switch is vastly more capable and not shackled by ass-backwards design decisions like shipping without a second analog control and an incredibly wasteful display tech.

I'd say at least 300. High end android/Apple tablets are about 400. Nintendo might save some money with a smaller, lower resolution screen and by leaving out stuff like GPS. They might also be willing to take a lower margin on the hardware itself but they got a big new chip in there as well as the dock, controllers etc. Even if none of that is particularly expensive to make it is not going to be 200 like I've read some people saying they are willing to spend on this. Nvidia's own tablet is still 200 and that has been on the market a while and doesn't have the best build quality or materials in the world.

So my guess would be 300 with 250 being a possibility if somebody over at Nintendo goes crazy but my guess would be 300 for the base SKU with another SKU at 350 or 400.

There is another thread for the hardware cost but I mean back in 2012 the ipad mini screen was a 10254x768 7.8 inch screen that cost only $80 https://technology.ihs.com/414160/l...8-bill-of-materials-teardown-analysis-reveals https://technology.ihs.com/414160/l...8-bill-of-materials-teardown-analysis-reveals . From what I can tell looking at other tear downs unless NVidia is charging a lot for their SOC the cost to Nintendo should be around $200 maybe lower.

So I'm hoping a $100 price mark up for a $300 price point with the controller and dock. Maybe a $400 bundle with Zelda and the pro controller

Not if those kids want a portable device to play games.

Right if a kid wants a pure tablet experience from the ios or android experience they might have to go with one of those. IF they want a gaming experience with some of the traditional tablet then they get a switch. For a lot of kids they have 6 inch phones now anyway so smaller tablets aren't a big deal.

I think a lot depends on how Nintendo prices the tablet. I think $300 is the max they can go with a $400 bundle and some games. I would think $250 would be ideal for this but hey its Nintendo.

Not if those kids want a portable device to play games.
Kids can play games on a tablet just fine. I don't think a dedicated device will sway them. They won't be able to do a lot of things on a Switch that they do on a traditional tablet and if they and their friends already all use tablets, I doubt they would really find a new device, that can't do a lot of the things they are already used to, appealing.

Don't know where you live but I don't really see kids (0 - 12) with 6 inch phones hehe.

I'm not sure what the pre social media/chat app age group does on their phones or tablets but I guess it's videos and games so the switch could easily be a replacement for that.

Kids older than that I think will mostly see this as a gaming device that might or might not have some tablet functionality.

I see it as a console and handheld rolled into one. The current gen launched at 400 and they didn't have cutting edge hardware. Even the Wii was 250 and that launched with ancient hardware. The Switch will have a cutting edge soc by the looks of it. 300 at least, 250 would be a big maybe but definitely not 200.

Don't know where you live but I don't really see kids (0 - 12) with 6 inch phones hehe.

I'm not sure what the pre social media/chat app age group does on their phones or tablets but I guess it's videos and games so the switch could easily be a replacement for that.

Kids older than that I think will mostly see this as a gaming device that might or might not have some tablet functionality.

I see it as a console and handheld rolled into one. The current gen launched at 400 and they didn't have cutting edge hardware. Even the Wii was 250 and that launched with ancient hardware. The Switch will have a cutting edge soc by the looks of it. 300 at least, 250 would be a big maybe but definitely not 200.

I see it a lot with android phones and i'm starting to see it more with the iphones now that they have had the models out a few years. For a lot of kids their phones are their lives. Its most likely their big present of the year and now with leasing plans in the states its even cheaper to get .

Kids older still play console games.

Back