Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

2TB HDD will be a bit faster than 500GB HDD.
A friend has Linux Mint on a 2TB 7200 rpm HDD (3.5"), on the beginning on the drive as is natural for an OS partition. It's stubbornly fast. It doesn't know that it's supposed to be not fast. Although it doesn't see anything demanding.

Data Density plays a part in drive speed. The larger storage drives pack the data closer together so it ends up with faster transfer speeds. Its how my first 750gb 7200rpm sata hdd was almost on par with my 74gb 10,000rpm WD Raptors. Yeah, that's going back a long time. Its also how my parity check speeds remained nearly the same despite upgrading from 2TB drives to 4TB drives and having twice the sectors to check.

Only when they are packed tighter though. Other times you get multiple platters of the same density, and sadly that doesn't enable 2x and 3x and 4x speeds (why not?! ;)).

Yes, you could have a 1 platter 500gb drive and a 4 platter 2tb drive if they're both from the same time period. However today, you're more likely to have a 1 platter 2tb drive and a 2 platter 4tb drive and a 3 platter 6tb drive with a 4 platter 8tb drive. For the lower drive storages you use less of the 1 drive platter so it can have more defects or be lower quality, thus the smaller drives end up being salvage parts.

Maximum is 1.25TB/platter for 3.5 and 1TB/platter for 2.5. And I do not think density increases any time soon.

So how do all the 8TB and 10TB drives exist? I'm not talking about SMR-tech either, but there are 8TB and 10TB PMR drives available.

EDIT: Seems like they use 7Stac for the 8TB drives. Still not sure how they're hitting 10TB unless it must be using SMR.

EDIT2: Seagate seems to be using 6 platters of SMR on their "Archival" 8TB drives. Which is around 1.33TB/platter. I don't know how Seagate is doing 8TB using PMR since they still haven't hit 7 platters.

They use five and even six platters in the big drives, e.g. Seagate Desktop HDD 8TB is said to have six 1.33TB platters.

Consoles are moving from 500GB single platter to 2TB dual platter? One of the coming console refreshes, don't remember which was said to go to 2TB.
If so that's a theoretical +41% in MB/s.

Last edited:
They use five and even six platters in the big drives, e.g. Seagate Desktop HDD 8TB is said to have six 1.33TB platters.

Yup, which is more than the 1.25TB/platter limit that was said.

It's also one of the edits I made on my post as I'm looking in further and finding more details. Seagate now has a non-SMR drive at 8TB, so density is making an increase. It's just not at the level I initial said of 2TB per platter. My bad on that one.

So how do all the 8TB and 10TB drives exist? I'm not talking about SMR-tech either, but there are 8TB and 10TB PMR drives available.

EDIT: Seems like they use 7Stac for the 8TB drives. Still not sure how they're hitting 10TB unless it must be using SMR.

EDIT2: Seagate seems to be using 6 platters of SMR on their "Archival" 8TB drives. Which is around 1.33TB/platter. I don't know how Seagate is doing 8TB using PMR since they still haven't hit 7 platters.

To expand on what was just said about more platters. It's a combination of more platters plus a less dense (and thus less viscous) and more inert gas. In this case Helium is used within the enclosure to reduce heat generated through friction. That allows for drives with up to 7 platters (possibly more) versus the 4-5 platters you're limited to with standard drive manufacturing.

In other words, don't expect to see them in budget oriented drives (IE - those used in consoles). They are more complex and cost of manufacturing is significantly higher with significantly lower tolerances.

Regards,
SB

Maybe. 1.25TB-1.33TB is not a big difference. I think it's close to the limit. We won't see 2TB with PMR.
SMR is not good for writing, and HAMR will be too expensive.

Data Density plays a part in drive speed. The larger storage drives pack the data closer together so it ends up with faster transfer speeds. Its how my first 750gb 7200rpm sata hdd was almost on par with my 74gb 10,000rpm WD Raptors. Yeah, that's going back a long time. Its also how my parity check speeds remained nearly the same despite upgrading from 2TB drives to 4TB drives and having twice the sectors to check.

Additionally where access latency is important (high IO server workloads) drives made for that sector are often short stroked. That'll use a standard 2.5" HDD platter but configure it through firmware such that only the inner outer 1.8" of the platter is accessed. That limits latency induced by having to seek over the entire 2.5" distance as well as limiting the read and write speed falloff from accessing the outer inner tracks.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
"Price and availability have also yet to be announced for the range"

It's incredible performance, and we could do without HDDs, but I doubt these things will be cheap! Certainly inadequate for one device per game. This goes back to the original notion of taking storage to some store and downloading to it, or DD onto a card.

"Price and availability have also yet to be announced for the range"

It's incredible performance, and we could do without HDDs, but I doubt these things will be cheap! Certainly inadequate for one device per game. This goes back to the original notion of taking storage to some store and downloading to it, or DD onto a card.

We will have to wait and see. We should know more for the fall. However these are already used in the galaxy line as embed memory.

I'd pay $15 or so more for a game using this than the bluray edition of said game.

Or while its not distrubition so I don't want Mr Fox to come yell , but we could see this instead of hardrives in scorpio and neo. The write speeds are really low but that shouldn't be a big issue as it should be as fast as a current hardrive. But up to 5 times faster in reads. About on par with current SSDs.

Put a 512 gig or two 512 gigs inside the new consoles and you can solve the problem of storage and speed. They have to be cheaper than current ssds . The x400 sandisk came out at $200 for 1TB so its about 20 cents a GB at this point in time. These have to be lower than that

I guess the real question is how long can it sustain the read speed

Wow those are crazy. Samsung really killing it in the next-gen storage media stuff.

I am considering getting a PCI-E hard drive from them for my next computer, maybe in next year or year after. Lol.

Probably gonna be expensive AF for a few years though, so not seeing it feasible for consoles at all really. 512 GB storage is next to nothing for current-gen consoles. That's like 1o to 15 games these days.

Now this is still standard HDD, but just goes to show some increase in data density of spinners since Seagate is announcing 3 different 10TB drives. No real details on how many platters, but they're all 7200 RPM and using PMR technology. If they're using 5 platters that puts them at the 2TB a platter that we talked about earlier! If it's 6 Platters that would land them at 1.67TB per.

http://www.cnet.com/news/seagate-unveils-massive-10tb-hard-drives-to-meet-all-storage-needs/

According to Seagate, the Barracuda Pro 10TB desktop drive is a high performer that spins at 7,200RPM and includes a five-year warranty. The IronWolf 10TB NAS drive is a "tough, ready and salable" drive that's designed specifically for network attached storage (NAS) servers. It has rotational vibration (RV) sensors to to reduce vibration in multidrive systems, RAID optimization and power-saving features. Finally, the SkyHawk 10TB Surveillance drive is similar to the IronWolf but is designed as a 24-7 host of storage for surveillance cameras, supporting high-resolution images from multiple cameras simultaneously.

All of the new drives have the standard 3.5-inch (desktop) design and support the latest SATA 3 (6Gbps) standard. The Barracuda Pro and the IronWolf are available now at the suggested prices of $534.99 (£406, AU$714 converted) and 469.99 (£357, AU$627), respectively. The SkyHawk will be released later this year and will cost $459.99 (£349, AU$614.)

EDIT: More details at AT as they're Helium filled drives for the masses -- http://www.anandtech.com/show/10496...s-10tb-hdd-portfolio-brings-helium-mainstream

Back