PSVR questionable without PS4K?

PSVR questionable without PS4K?
Everyone who tried PSVR so far did it on PS4, and all reports are glowing. Lag is minimal, framerates are locked, 120hz display works, PS4 can deliver on the rendering side in many great looking games.

I think that PS4 will remain fully viable for PSVR gaming during its entire life on market, and especially now when base PS4 install base will be so much bigger than PS4K install base.

More stable 60...
There is no "unstable 60" on PSVR. Sony has announced they will not cert games that have framedrops below 60.

Last edited:
I don't think so. From 60 to 90 is 50% faster and rendering a much higher resolution is already not totally CPU free. I think they'll prefer more stable 60fps, higher resolutions and maybe better effects.

Also going to 90fps you lose the 120hz trick. And it's less work for the devs to aim 60fps on both models, and easily increase the resolution on Neo.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if developers optimize the base mode version then just see what resolution they can set the neo mode version to with the same frame rate.

Everyone mentions 1440p but we could see a 30% difference res (aka 900p equivalent but in other direction). Something like 1260p.

Here is a good example of what Zed is talking about
Rich of ReviewtechUSA has a video with +90% upvotes who thinks that PS4K is primarily designed to prolong the life cycle of the overall PS4 platform because the console came out underpowered and will not last 6-7 years. Instead of migrate off the platform as PCs become more powerful or another more capable console comes that disrupts Sony's leadership position in the market they are preempting that danger.
He is ignorant to the fact for the forseeable future consoles will likely be x86 as well which is a selling factor, thus enabling a large degree of forwards/backwards compatibility from here on out with consoles which would blur the lines between generations (aka PS4 platform never needs to end because x86 backwards/forwards compatibility will continue for a long time).

Last edited:
PSNeo could very well be a mean for Sony to "future-proof" PSVR...at least a bit.

I think that PSNeo will be useful for VR anyway; that extra power will be useful at some point even if now PS4 seems to suffice.

Last edited:
PSNeo could very well be a mean for Sony to "future-proof" PSVR...at least a bit.

I think that PSNeo will be useful for VR anyway; that extra power will be useful at some point even if now PS4 seems to suffice.
This. Its the 2nd wave of VR games where Neo is going to become most relevant. IMO of course.

Of course PS4 can run VR games with no issues, but PS4 Neo will run it with additional MSAA. For some people such small difference can make the presence of VR much more believable.

^^^

PSNow entire appeal comes from the empty promise that you will get something better if you buy it.
PSNeo must bring meaningful/substantial differences/improvements/advantages otherwise I doubt that it will have success.

Last edited:
I'm just looking forward to all the Sony haters claiming that you can't get "real" VR unless you spend more than you would have to spend on Rift so PSVR still sux.

Here is a good example of what Zed is talking about
Rich of ReviewtechUSA has a video with +90% upvotes who thinks that PS4K is primarily designed to prolong the life cycle of the overall PS4 platform because the console came out underpowered and will not last 6-7 years. Instead of migrate off the platform as PCs become more powerful or another more capable console comes that disrupts Sony's leadership position in the market they are preempting that danger.
He is ignorant to the fact for the forseeable future consoles will likely be x86 as well which is a selling factor, thus enabling a large degree of forwards/backwards compatibility from here on out with consoles which would blur the lines between generations (aka PS4 platform never needs to end because x86 backwards/forwards compatibility will continue for a long time).

Stop giving credibility to some fanboy who loves to hear his own voice and opinions while click baiting because he found out he can get paid for any drivel the sheep are willing to believe.

He's also a PC fanboy who claims he isn't...just stop...I blocked him from my feed...wake up.

Digital Foundry has already provided a proper explanation and analysis as have a few others with questionable inserted opinions instead of analysis.

Sony has mandated all VR titles must run 60fps locked, no dropped frames
How did that mandate of MS requiring all xb360 games to be minimum 720p with MSAA work out? Even their own games didnt make the grade, mandate smandate :)

For a start, such a move would be illegal under many country's consumer law - the EU would tear Sony a new one. Second Sony have already released tons of official footage of PSVR games running on base PS4 hardware.
See above, did the EU tear MS a new one with all the release screenshots being 720p but when the final game released it was 640p with no AA?
No

Isn't this bad for all current PS4 owners?, from now on the vast majority of games will be shown running on a ps4k, the ppl will buy the game put it in the ps4 back home and be let down.

PREDICTION (after my last 2 being apple ones, #1 the iphone will release in multiple screensizes, #2 apple will not release applewatch numbers cause theyre gonna be terrible)
time for a sony one
because of the ps4k, ps4 owners are gonna get worse games. eg some ps4 VR games will not run 60fps solid (where the ps4k version will) or even some vr games are gonna be ps4k only.

Stop giving credibility to some fanboy who loves to hear his own voice and opinions while click baiting because he found out he can get paid for any drivel the sheep are willing to believe.

He's also a PC fanboy who claims he isn't...just stop...I blocked him from my feed...wake up.

Digital Foundry has already provided a proper explanation and analysis as have a few others with questionable inserted opinions instead of analysis.
I'm simply using him as an example of someone who is ignorant. Lol, what makes you think I take him credibly? I was pointed out why I think he's incorrect. Generally he rants about things that are obvious and watching his videos are pointless.

PREDICTION (after my last 2 being apple ones, #1 the iphone will release in multiple screensizes, #2 apple will not release applewatch numbers cause theyre gonna be terrible) time for a sony one because of the ps4k, ps4 owners are gonna get worse games. eg some ps4 VR games will not run 60fps solid (where the ps4k version will) or even some vr games are gonna be ps4k only.
I am hereby betting against your prediction! :LOL:

There will be no ps4k exclusive games until ps5 is out. Also, the most logical and effortless development is the ps4k running a 1.4x to 1.7x frame buffer for PSVR while the exact same game would run a softer 1.0x to 1.2x resolution on PS4 at the same frame rate. It's the quality of the dynamic scaling which will determine frame rate stability.

Some publishers suck like hell, so there might be a few lemons, but it will be a rare occurence.

How did that mandate of MS requiring all xb360 games to be minimum 720p with MSAA work out? Even their own games didnt make the grade, mandate smandate :)
Lack of 60 fps solid results in puking rendering the VR experience nigh worhtless. It's a requirement that every VR solution recognises. There's no option for sub-60 fps, hence all the work done to address it. If VR requires a new console, Sony wouldn't be releasing it on PS4.

And for the record, Sony are very good at blocking games that don't meet their targets. They just seem weird about when to enofrce them. But in the case of VR, that's not an option so the mandate will stand.

Back