Far Cry Primal [PS4, XO] (Feb 2016)

I think that's what DF concluded for Far Cry 4 on Xbox One as well. I was wondering if they'd eke a little more performance out of Xbox One for Primal given theres fewer explosions but there's no denying it's a very pretty game and I saw no frame drops during my extensive play. I'll get a dabble with the PS4 version later.

So @DSoup what about this grain filter? Is it noticeable? is there a toogle to get rid of it?

Graphics comparison between PS4 / XB1 here. In some cases the draw distances are slightly better on PS4 (1:00 on the video), the rest looks identical. Could be a bug, though, like the missing godrays in XB1 version of FC4 that were subsequently patched. That volumetric lighting looks great though.

@Globalisateur I read about the grain filter in the DF analysis of the early PS4 code but didn't notice it while playing the Xbox One version (50" 1080p plasma approx 8ft away).

So it's either subtle or I have a blind spot for it. Is the grain filter new for Far Cry? I don't recall it being prominent in Far Cry 4.

@Globalisateur I read about the grain filter in the DF analysis of the early PS4 code but didn't notice it while playing the Xbox One version (50" 1080p plasma approx 8ft away).

So it's either subtle or I have a blind spot for it. Is the grain filter new for Far Cry? I don't recall it being prominent in Far Cry 4.
Ok thanks. It's new in Far Cry. Unfortunately It's very noticeable and immersion breaking for me, worse than CA. Will wait for DF analysis.

Ok thanks. It's new in Far Cry. Unfortunately It's very noticeable and immersion breaking for me, worse than CA. Will wait for DF analysis.
It's more noticeable on PS4 (50" 4K X-Series Bravia) but it doesn't stick out to me. I have to look for it. I'm also sitting closer to the screen, say 6ft.

I hate you. It's now really distracting and I can't unsee it. :-|

I'm past it, thank God, Your world is not a good place. :nope: There's no setting to disable it on PS4 but perhaps on PC.

does it have hardcore difficulty setting where we can actually feel like surviving in a savage land? that would be great, if its just a Far Cry romp then I have grown tired of that already in FC4.

I do feel like replaying FC4 though. I never finished it.

This would have been so much more awesome if they'd just Flintstoned the hell out of it. It already has a remote controlled owl drone carpet-bombing the shit out of settlements using beehives, you get to ride a Sabretooth Tiger like you're in a badass Frank Frazetta painting, and the setting is about as believable and threatening as an amusement park. It's just severely lacking in prehistoric vehicles and Rachel Welch type women wearing fur bikinis.

Last edited:
does it have hardcore difficulty setting where we can actually feel like surviving in a savage land? that would be great, if its just a Far Cry romp then I have grown tired of that already in FC4. I do feel like replaying FC4 though. I never finished it.

I'm playing normal on PS4. They added in an 'Hard Expert Mode' in yesterday's day one patch which adds the changes the following:
  • Players' health has been halved compared to Hard difficulty.
  • Reduced players aim assist.
  • AI shoots faster by 1/3
  • Enemies in combat are not shown on mini map by default (they appear only if they are tagged).
  • It takes the AI a longer time to "forget" you when you hide
  • The aim assist box is reduced for several weapon types (bow, club, spear)
  • The player damage is reduced
So not really :nope: It's obviously Far Cry but no guns and beasts does feel very different to Far Cry 4 - which incidentally I also didn't finish. You're never going to have such a huge arsenal of firepower that encounters will always be a walkover. and while the owl is great for recon, it has limits on where it can go and enemies will attack it.

This would have been so much more awesome if they'd just Flintstoned the hell out of it.

I think for Primal 2 they'll defintiely wind the clock back further and throw some dinosaurs in. I called the "bee grenade" back in december before they'd been revealed! :yes:

There are extensive HUD options so you can enable/disable as much or as little as you like. Less if definitely more for me. I don't have my rideable kitty yet but I agree with you, this is a great outing for the franchise.

I'm really digging this game. I like having a village because having makes you feel like your venturing further and further from home each game day. I like when pushing the boundaries of your fast travel points and exploring new areas, getting around takes time - and that exploring new ares can feel like a multi-day adventure. I like that night still feels scary even when you have a sabre tooth tiger and that that night is virtually pitch black a lot of the time and you're lucky if you have moonlight to see by. I like creeping through that dark forest in the dark, thinking I'm being all quiet and alone then turning around and seeing half dozen pairs of wolf eyes watching me, waiting for me to screw up.

Echoing Ike Turner, this game does TOD so well.

Hunting at dusk.
The Henge - early afternoon
Hunting at midnight 1
Hunting at midnight 2
Waterhole - early afternoon
Mammoth plains - dawn

But still no weather, Ubisoft!?! :no:

Back