Far Cry Primal [PS4, XO] (Feb 2016)

As have been widely publicised now, Far Cry Primal's map is a retool of Far Cry 4. I've sunk a ton into Primal - far more han FC4 - and can't say I noticed. It's amazing what new textures, a new palette and different foliage can do. And I guess the navigating on ground level is very different to zipping along roads or in the air and it does explain those inexplicable non-existents trails / paths in Primal's map though.

Far Cry Primal

jpg

Far Cry 4

jpg

Can't wait.

Question: Is Primal a bit of a spin off, so we ca n wait for FC5? Or is this a completely new direction, and we'll then be waiting for Primal 2, or a completely new setting? I'd like that very much.

Can't wait.

Question: Is Primal a bit of a spin off, so we ca n wait for FC5? Or is this a completely new direction, and we'll then be waiting for Primal 2, or a completely new setting? I'd like that very much.
I am confident they'll release FC5. After all, FC Primal has being directed by a new guy. FC4 creative director, Alex Hutchinson, is not officially doing anything at Ubisoft since FC4 release...

Hopefully with a new map. :yep2:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Far Cry Prehistoric with dinosaurs unless they do dinosaur DLC for Primal. Every Far Cry game thus far has been something new, i.e. no sequels or relationship with the predecessors but the thing is with 'modern' Far Cry is where do you go next and what do you add? You have guns and explosives and you have land, sea and air vehicles - you have elephants! They've now done Europe, Asia and Africa. They've kind of done everything unless they put it into an urban environment which would be new but think I think would limit things. Far Cry Nuclear Apocalypse? Far Cry Aliens Assault? Far Cry Zombie Outbreak? Far Cry Vampires stole my Girlfriend? Far Cry Columbus finds America?

I don't think we'll see a branded "Far Cry 5", I think they'll abandon the numbering convention like they did with Assassin's Creed (IV then Unity then Syndicate) and now with Far Cry Primal. I think the number is just a reminder that you've probably played this tired franchise to death :yep2:

Primal is still Far Cry but with enough mechanics switched up to make it feel different enough. You know the sky is falling when Ubisoft take climbing towers out of their tower-climbing games! I think I tired of Far Cry 4 after about 15 hours because it was too like Far Cry 3, which is ironic because I liked Far Cry 3. But what I really wanted, what I didn't realise I wanted, was something new and different.

BTW, the spear in Primal is awesome. I used to consider the bow my favourite gaming weapon across any genre but spearing something or somebody in the face never gets old. Hell, get a few people lined up and shish kebab a bunch with one spear!

I have to go now, I see something moving that doesn't have a spear in it's face.

Oi! Hey you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the days, something like this usually presented as total conversion mod.

It's both sad and delightful that now something like that can be full price games. Sad because it's used to be a mod, awesome because it means developers get money. Not just get the fun of modding.

I just think it would be kinda awesome if from now on, each new Far Cry is a completely new setting. The formula works, all they need is to tweak a few things, reskin everything and go.

I just think it would be kinda awesome if from now on, each new Far Cry is a completely new setting. The formula works, all they need is to tweak a few things, reskin everything and go.

But what about people that's bored with the formula?

I'm bored completely with far cry and AC formula.

The Division seems also follow the same formula for the quests and collectibles. Basically put lots of stuff on map for busy work.

Can't they make it like final Fantasy where each series is basically a different game? Release that as mini episode like blood dragon if it's too niche

But what about people that's bored with the formula?

I'm bored completely with far cry and AC formula.

The Division seems also follow the same formula for the quests and collectibles. Basically put lots of stuff on map for busy work.

Can't they make it like final Fantasy where each series is basically a different game? Release that as mini episode like blood dragon if it's too niche
exactly....

Well if a game's formula is boring you, buy another game?

Jokes aside, I did say tweak the formula here and there. The general 'formula' for me just means being open world, and the general shooting and fighting mechanics. They can change most other things and put it in another setting, that's what I meant.

I just think it would be kinda awesome if from now on, each new Far Cry is a completely new setting.

Haven't new Far Cry games always introduced a completely new setting? Far Cry: Pacific archipelago, Far Cry 2: African plains and jungle, Far Cry 3: A massive island in the Indian Ocean, Far Cry 4: Asian jungle and mountains (Kashmir), Far Cry Primal: European jungle and mountains. Geographically there is the Americas and Australasia but how distinct are they from what we've seen? Plains, mountains, jungle, coastlines.

While Earth has hugely diverse ecosystems and jungles and forestry is highly varied, in game terms one bunch of trees is much like another: they burn, are good cover and an obstruction to your vision. I think that's why Ubisoft went to a different time in Primal. It gave them a chance to do somethigm radical in terms of weaponry balance.

What setting(s) do you think would work well - or appeal to you?

But what about people that's bored with the formula? I'm bored completely with far cry and AC formula.

With regard to Primal I would suggest you ask yourself what is it about the Far Cry formula that bores you, because they've changed a bunch of things. It's still unmistakably Far Cry but it's also different. I checked out of FC4 after about 10-15 hours, I'm 25+ into Primal and having a blast. I often find that I've waited 2 hours because I was just messing with the enemy and its the kind of game that gives you a bunch of tools (figuratively) to have a riot and it does a great job of making you feel über powerful one moment then completely vulnerable the next.

I'm definitely tired of Assassin's Creed. I loved Unity but Syndicate did't look different enough so I skipped it - maybe I'll pick up cheaper later in the summer drought. If I get the urge for Assassin's Creed I find myself returning to Unity and Black Flag. I'm interested to see what they do with their refresh. I really hope it isn't just a reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The map layout being the same as FC4 sounds amazing! Does the game take place before FC4; at the exact same site? Or is it meant to be on a different part of the planet?

I just mean extreme differences! Like dinos, past/future settings, things like that. I don't know!
I still can't quite believe dinosaurs didn't make it into Primal. Ubisoft said they wanted it to be appropriate for the time then give your cave dude a grapple, let him craft angry bee grenades and chemical weapons. Hmmm..

The future you say? Far Cry: Space Marines :yes: This is what I was trying to articular in my longer post above - they need to keep changing things but where do they go next? Maybe they could go urban, do post apocalyptic so you explain the lack of mass civilisation and law and order plus you can have nature encroaching into the city. Throw in some environmental destruction as well. Or super far into the future, Far Cry: Planet of the Apes - you can keep Primal's spear then.

I don't know either. :nope: I do know I want more spears in games! :yes:

Love this game, as soon as you learned Beast taming ability the whole game becomes that much more interesting:). The feeling of having a Smilodon Populator prowling along side you and do your bidding is just fantastical. Graphics also looks very impressive, at times breath taking. Really like how organic and fluid some of the animal vs animal animations are, watching a brown bear wrestle down a yak is almost like watching Planet Earth. Ubi's next Far Cry has got to be dinosaur based! God damn it the engine is so wasted if left unexplored.

The animal takedown animations are awesome. The sabretooth is particularly good. And by 'good' I mean terrifyingly brutal. And it's great that beasts have different strategies for taking down different targets.

Fellow reviewer playing it on Expert difficuly is loving it. ANyne here has any experience of the higher difficulties? Does it feel like the survival of a timid man in a savage world?

Back