Microsoft Windows 10 hardware event Oct 6th 10 am EST

I need to check to see if the MS Store in my closest Best Buy has a demo model. It's a shame that the i7 model won't be available until November. In your play time with both, did you notice any difference (to the eye) with frame rate?

I need to check to see if the MS Store in my closest Best Buy has a demo model. It's a shame that the i7 model won't be available until November. In your play time with both, did you notice any difference (to the eye) with frame rate?
no , the game did load faster on the sp4 however.

The MS store near me had about 15 SP4s hooked up.

According to Paul Thurrott preorders for the Surface book are higher than any previous surface device. So MS has to be really happy

Last edited:
We both have surface pros , I figure we can get 300 or so for each of them. So for me the $1300 would be a nice deal. Or even less with the educator discount.

I'd pay you $300 easy if you are interested in selling your SP3 for my wife. She is a very basic user and mostly just needs it for office, web surfing and plants vs zombies 2. The laptop I got her 3-4 years ago is bulky so she typically uses her Ipad mini 2 I got her last year for the above.

Truthfully, an i5/8 GB RAM SP4 is probably enough for me, but I want to know what the i7 gives you for portable gaming reasons. Nothing else I would do would probably need that extra horsepower.

I'll def let you know before I sell it. I wont before January though ! the real question is would she want a type or touch cover lol.

Last edited:
hmm, so this means MS probably give more aggressive limit in surface book than pro. But what about if you buy surface book without dGPU? it became SLOWER than pro?

it could very well be. The DGPU has its own cooling so I'm sure that when the two are paired the Surface book will come out ahead .

This is the cooling for the NVidia cooling
upload_2015-10-6_12-36-59-png.973

I'd think combined they would beat out the surface pro 4. I also don't know how long that thermal copper pad thingy in the sp4 works. It could get overwhelmed quickly while gaming. I'm not sure.

It looks like the SP4 has 3 main cooling components . The aluminium piece directly over the cpu the copper piece by the batteries and then finally the fan.

@eastmen yups, looks like the thermal runaway will be a concern on SP4 but should be easily worked-around by blowing a fan to it when gaming.

on the other hand, Surface Book seems really need its keyboard (with dGPU) for gaming. Thus making its rather unfit for gaming with tablet unit only (or with chapest model without dGPU).

@eastmen yups, looks like the thermal runaway will be a concern on SP4 but should be easily worked-around by blowing a fan to it when gaming.

on the other hand, Surface Book seems really need its keyboard (with dGPU) for gaming. Thus making its rather unfit for gaming with tablet unit only (or with chapest model without dGPU).

Judging from hands-on impressions, the SP4 cooling is much improved with ppl saying the fan didn't come on in most instances.

Looking forward to someone putting it through the paces to get an indication of how good/bad it is.

With the complaints of throttling in SP3, I don't think MS will make the same mistake. This is key to MS getting that cool as Apple cred and I can't see them not addressing this issue.

Yea that's what I do with my surface pro 1 . It just adds more to what you have to bring which I hate.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-A...=UTF8&qid=1444362860&sr=8-17&keywords=usb+fan

guess one of these will be needed when traveling for both

@eastmen hey at least MS is sensible enough to tie the throttling to temperature.

my Sony Vaio Tap 11 tied the throttling to TIMER. bloody hell...

lol what the hell lol

I mean the extra fans aren't horrible. But it does suck a bit.

Here is a long hands on

http://www.winbeta.org/news/went-hands-surface-pro-4-awesome

the timer is 30 secs or something for turbo and 1 minute or something for max normal TDP. Stays longer, . So the CPU and GPU will throttle to

erasing with it is actually REALLY FUN.

winbeta made a nice point there. Erasing using side button and pen tip is just dont feel right. But... it is very precise. So dunno... from artist perspective which one will be better

Its a custom chip. Goto 1:06.

https://www.thurrott.com/podcasts/6725/windows-weekly-434-polo-is-the-minimum#disqus_thread

Its not an off the shelf product but it is part of the Maxwell line.

Mary Jo Foley - "It's a custom chip. It's Maxwell but it's not an off-the-shelf product"
Interviewer - "Can you give us an equivalent? 960? 970?"
Mary Jo Foley - "Erm... err... uhm... I don't know..."

Doesn't seem like she has any clue of the difference between a custom chip and a custom implementation of said chip.

The real question is why are you so adamant about disputing a very knowledgeable source? Your saying that because MS has not revealed the specifications of the chip to her.. then the chip isnt custom - its just a custom implementation? Surface designers would not need the Xbox engineers for an "implementation"...?

Before she said she doesnt know.. she said "its something they built custom for microsoft.." I'm Sure Nvidia could have provided a base chip without considering it custom.

I dont care either way, but you seem pretty sure of your position..

Last edited:

Too hard to say with those.

It still has hybrid cooling just like the SP4. Just instead of a relatively thin copper sheet for passive cooling, it has a relatively thick aluminum block. There also appears to be a lot more free space in the Surface Book tablet enclosure which should aid in heat dissipation assuming they've designed the air flow intelligently.

Regards,
SB

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i5

Its starting to show up on geek bench only in i5 6300u set ups which i'm assuming are store displays with 4 gigs of ram

The SP4 i5-6300u stays at a frequency of 2496 and scores single core 3071 multi core 6388

THe sp3 i5-4300u stays at a frequency of 1896 and scores 2589 / 5146

Seems to be a nice bump

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=surface+pro+3+i7

SP3 i7 465u stays at 2295 scores a 3009 /5453

So it seems like the i5 SP4 is going to be about as fast as an sp3 i7 .

Back