What's "Longhorn"?

The interesting part of Longhorn is going to be that the whole GUI of it will be 3D accelerated. Hmmm, I found a small .mpeg video of some alpha version in action a while ago, chances to find that link again are rather small though, probably MS killed it off within 24 hours anyway... ;)

edit: damn you guys are fast! I thogh I'd be the third to reply, hrmpft ...

Now THIS is obviously a conspiracy meant to sell more chips.

What ever happened to the days when GEM was enough?

Also I remember being told by a friendly windows developer, sitting opposite me at work, that you'd need a DX9 capable gfx card to run longhorn. Maybe that's changed but maybe M$ are moving into the CGI meets the desktop arena that everyone else seems to be interested in. Especially now that x86 architetcure has become more popular amongst thee renderfarm community.

I have heard it will have no legacy support.

The good things I see are:
-Improved user interface (with 3D capabilities)
-Database for applications data (today the best we have is some journalled file system protecting metadata)
-Software cleanup

The bad things you can guess.

RussSchultz said:
Now THIS is obviously a conspiracy meant to sell more chips.

What ever happened to the days when GEM was enough?

well, GEM was fine, but I liked more GEOS for C64. :) you could actually use Joystick as pointing device. :)

And it fully supported all capabilities of extremely advanced VIC II chip. ;)
epic311.gif

oh well, times change... But still C64 forever! ;)

pascal said:
I have heard it will have no legacy support.

The bad things you can guess.
I guess dual boot is the only option for legacy support plus the two 'bad' things that I know of is it will support Palladium & the same pre-requisites as Win. XP if you change your hardware.

Prepare your wallets. Everything will be a service that will run for a specific limited time in a specific machine/configuration :cry: :cry: :cry:

Burn as much MP3, videos and other things as you can.

Whistler, Blackcomb, Longhorn .. whats up with skiing ?

It's because a lot of the higher ups come to BC all the time for the sking and what not. My cousin actually had a few over in Pemberton at his bread and breakfast. My brother met them while he, his wife and his nephew were visiting.

One of them was baffled by how my aforementioned nephew at the age of 3 was able to, snap his fingers from which his little top would fly a 1/2 a metre above him and then land on the ground spinning at full speed. In on fluid motion, of course.

The interesting part of Longhorn is going to be that the whole GUI of it will be 3D accelerated.

Does this mean that the 2D section of graphics cards will be eliminated thus saving die space?

Does this mean that the 2D section of graphics cards will be eliminated thus saving die space?

Yes, but I think the amount of space a VGA engine takes up incomparison to the rest of a 3D engine these days there won't really be much of a saving.

If Longhorn was truly not compatible with older version of Windows, wouldn't have made sense to postpone it for the consumer version of Itanium?

<uberspeculation> Maybe they are. Sure they'll make an x86-64 *Windows* but Longhorn will be IA-64, and named something else. After that, x86 support drops.

Or probably not.

Back