The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

That should actually be easier to accomplish because you can give the animator the timings for how many frames each move should take and what the start and end poses should be. It's a lot harder to get an actor to hit those timings, and once you start to manually tweak the mocap to change the speed or positions, it starts to lose it's natural feel.

Sure Tekken and Soul Calibur are all about animations but they can deliver very fluid animations even when they alter them or "invent" them altogether.
Here not so much IMO.

I don't ask for perfect animations in a game like this. Skyrim had an absolute shit show character animations, but it found an audience of ~20M fans.

W3 looks great in every aspect [well... wind is often at a hurricane level and trees are somehow surviving it... and those bricks are still annoying me :D].

Good work if you can get it! Of course, that assumes both people mo-capped are different sexes!

As far as I've known, there's no same sex option in the Witcher games, but there are plenty of ladies. I've only played the first chapter of the first game so far, but there were many options already...

As far as I've known, there's no same sex option in the Witcher games, but there are plenty of ladies. I've only played the first chapter of the first game so far, but there were many options already...
I meant the actors doing the mo-cap. There's no reason the two actors need be a man and a woman.

I meant the actors doing the mo-cap. There's no reason the two actors need be a man and a woman.

One thing is, it's actually pretty obvious if you pair the motion of the actor to a very different character. For example ILM has recruited 2m tall people for wookies on the new Star Wars movies to get it right. Then again some of the mocap for the first Hulk was performed by the director, Ang Lee...

Or, in our projects, we usually go with one of two options: we're in a good relationship with a talented local actress and we can always hire her for lead roles; like, she was Rose McGowan's actor for the COD AW Zombies DLC stuff. I think we've also worked with a dancer for some other roles, and a different actress some years ago on the Secret World shorts.
And when it's not a lead role, we can always ask a female co-worker and they're always happy to participate. They did for example the crowd characters' motions in the Watchdogs trailer, and one of them was Ashley in the ME3 trailer. That's actually a pretty damn good example in my opinion, no male stunt guy could have done that walk, whereas it was just completely natural for her.
The only time we've used a male actor for a female role was in a recent action scene, where it doesn't really matter; if you're interested, I can show it soon hopefully.

But more importantly, why would they do that male-male actor thing? I just can't see any reason to hire a male performer for such an obviously feminine role. I fact, not only would this compromise the actual results, it'd also make the capture sessions unnecessarily awkward and less efficient. Any reasonably good actor/actress would usually have some sort of related experience and could handle the situation well (and the "sex scene" thing is probably still something with good taste in the Witcher anyway).

But if you don't, some people might find the Boob animation to be stilted and unacceptable.

You can't mocap that - for a start, the suits are far too prohibiting and you can't mocap naked people.
Well, at least, I've never heard of such a thing...

Although that makes me wonder. Is there a reason that you can't mocap naked people? Other than moral/ethical reasons? :p Or was that just part of the joke?

Regards,
SB

You can't mocap that - for a start, the suits are far too prohibiting and you can't mocap naked people.
Well, at least, I've never heard of such a thing...
Passive, or rather markerless, capture techniques do exist to capture surface tension, distortion and general movement of volatile materials or substances where introducing another physical property (the marker) would affect the properties of the item being captured. Typically IR cameras and lasers are used.

I've not heard of it being used professionally in movies or games though because the capture area is generally small and static. Suits with blue dots are just cooler.

Although that makes me wonder. Is there a reason that you can't mocap naked people? Other than moral/ethical reasons? :p Or was that just part of the joke?

Regards,
SB

C'mon. Ofc you can. It's the same job as hand-substitute, ass-substitute, sex-scene-substitute, belly-substitute, foot-substitute. You can't have all parts perfect I guess. :)
Tit-cap-substitute when the main actor doesn't want to capture naked. What's the deal, some people just feel awkward, others can run naked in the city at any time.

Optical mocap has stood out and became an industry standard because of its flexibility. There's no fixed set of sensors, you can put markers on anything and anywhere and you can process the data as you want. It's most practical use is of course for tracking skeletial movement and experience has lead to a generally efficient marker layout - number of markers and their positions, number of actors within the volume, coverage and so on.

You could theoretically stick the markers on naked actors, including any special body parts; but I'm not familiar enough with the tech to tell how it would work compared to a tight body suit. I'm quite sure though that the fabric has different properties compared to human skin, so there's probably a reason - I guess the markers can stick better to the suit.
For example we've captured horses before, using markers sticked to their skin, but recently we've actually created a mocap suit for horses and I'm sure there has to be a reason for this. And yeah I'm not kidding, it's a skintight black suit (although made from multiple separate pieces) that you have to put on the horse.

However, capturing the actual surface doesn't really make much sense to me, with some experience not only in modeling but in rigging. You'd have to assign the, no better way to say it, breast markers to some bones in a CG character's skeleton and then you'd be stuck with that; whereas it's easier to just drive such kinds of secondary movement with simulations or manual keyframe animation, without the potential issues of capturing naked talent.

Then there are the other capture options. Photogrammetry based scanning can be used not just as a single frame approach, you can build a rig with advanced cameras that can capture at 60 fps easily and generate an animated surface. This is what's usually called 4D scanning, basically a stream of data through time. In fact LA Noire has already done this with the faces, that is why the facial movement is so realistic, despite the lackluster shading and the lack of coherence between facial and body movement.
So it's definitely possible to get naked actors inside the scanning volume and record their movements at 60 fps; even though two people with close body contact would make it pretty hard to get good coverage for the cameras. Most of the software, like Agisoft, require at least two or three cameras to cover every point on the surface, so you can probably imagine how many cameras you'd need to get good data.
But then the problem would be, how to translate the data to character rigs of any kind? The software creates a point cloud and remeshes it for every frame, so what you'd get is a set of completely different models and textures for each frame, with no shared data like vertices or texture coordinates.
So you'd have to create a generic model and conform it to each of the different meshes from the various frames, a LOT of data that you'd then need to somehow stream. The main advantage of capturing skeletial movement is that it's a reasonably small amount of data; basically rotation values for a couple dozen bones per character per frame. The actual skin deformations are sort of procedurally generated, by the skin weighting and any other deformations on top, which only have to be set once, during rigging.
Then there are the other issues, like your CG character would have to be a 1:1 match of the actor if you use 4D scanning. Once you start to modify the body proportions, it gets way to complex to keep the movement realistic and as I've already mentioned the source data would be pretty messy because of the self-occlusion anyway.

So, 4D scanning is a very interesting topic, but most people looking into it have focused on faces so far. That's because the face has very little self-occlusion, and using a 1:1 match of the actor's face makes more sense compared to using a full body match. But even in those cases - like digital doubles for risky stuff - it's still better to separate the skeletial movement and the surface deformations.

TLDR: if you want good boob animation for realistic naked girls, it's still better to just capture movement and build a good character rig and account for the boob stuff by different methods.

Optical mocap has stood out and became an industry standard because of its flexibility. There's no fixed set of sensors, you can put markers on anything and anywhere and you can process the data as you want. It's most practical use is of course for tracking skeletial movement and experience has lead to a generally efficient marker layout - number of markers and their positions, number of actors within the volume, coverage and so on.

You could theoretically stick the markers on naked actors, including any special body parts; but I'm not familiar enough with the tech to tell how it would work compared to a tight body suit. I'm quite sure though that the fabric has different properties compared to human skin, so there's probably a reason - I guess the markers can stick better to the suit.
For example we've captured horses before, using markers sticked to their skin, but recently we've actually created a mocap suit for horses and I'm sure there has to be a reason for this. And yeah I'm not kidding, it's a skintight black suit (although made from multiple separate pieces) that you have to put on the horse.

Ah, OK, I understand now. I had forgotten that traditionally, Motion Capture is used to capture motions which are then used to construct a skeletal construct. As such the relatively "loose" movements of skin would be counter-productive. A skin tight and somewhat rigid suit would go a long way towards making each point consistent without the variability introduced with relative looser (and thus more variability) skin. This would be especially true of any jarring movements like running or jumping. Anytime you landed on the ground a marker placed directly on skin would move significantly more (in ways unrelated to the skeletal structure being constructed) than a marker attached to a tight suit with significantly less movement.

Thanks for the explanation Laa-Yosh. :)

Regards,
SB

I feel the Xbox on PC thing is actually them trying to steer you to / remind you of the console. They've been pushing the strategy for years now. Especially obvious on Windows 8 store where for example you have some lame Halo tie in games with Xbox logos attached.

Get back to me when Xbox on PC means exclusive games for PC and Xbox simultaneously. :)
Like Ori and the Blind Forest? ;)

Regards,
SB
I wouldn't mind having most of the Xbox games published on the PC, if this also allowed people to enjoy cross-play titles galore, but it would be very dangerous for the Xbox, without exclusives like the consoles of every generation.

Oh, also, there's been a piece of news about CDPR recording about 16 hours of mocap just for sex scenes ;)
I wonder if they hired actual partners that were actually into the moment, because if they didn't, I don't know how it took so long to create some sexy moves.

New screengrabs:

openworld-inhabitants-1.jpg

monsterhunter-mutations-1.jpg

openworld-places-3.jpg

story-romance-3.jpg

Some of the girls in The Witcher 3. Who are going to be the romantic interests of Geralt de Rivia btw?

story-romance-2.jpg

story-romance-1.jpg

monsterhunter-allies-3.jpg

ciri1jpg-886c20.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Bonus:

11178214_101530036886vfuuw.jpg

Back