Would GTA V be possible on Wii U?

You assume that Wii U's CPU can't do it and you probably ignore advantages that it has...
Espresso is Out-of-Order-Execution in comparison Xenon and Cell are In-Order-Execution
Once a very good low level engine programmer told me that out-of-order is indeed better, but you can get about the same speed with in-order-execution, if your code is very well optimized.

Assuming your source is accurate, thank you I learned something new, edram/esram for gpu's as far as I know has never been implemented being directly addressable by the CPU or any other bus master besides (maybe) DMA.
The xbone can read it with the CPU, it's just slow.

----

On topic: I have been watching engineers doing insane things with hardware since the very beginning of the video gaming history, and I'm pretty sure gta5 would be possible on the Wii-u, but I don't think it would worth the required effort what would be needed to pull off a miracle like that, they would need to optimize everything so much, it would take ages or the manpower of a small city of coders.

Once a very good low level engine programmer told me that out-of-order is indeed better, but you can get about the same speed with in-order-execution, if your code is very well optimized.

The xbone can read it with the CPU, it's just slow.

----

On topic: I have been watching engineers doing insane things with hardware since the very beginning of the video gaming history, and I'm pretty sure gta5 would be possible on the Wii-u, but I don't think it would worth the required effort what would be needed to pull off a miracle like that, they would need to optimize everything so much, it would take ages or the manpower of a small city of coders.

I agree with you, but ultimately, its irrelevant to the topic of this thread. Is it possible is one question, I think most people would say yes, but would it make financial sense to do it? No, of course not. Wii U simply doesn't have the overhead compared to the PS3 and 360 to make up for the drastically different CPU architecture. So yes, GTA V would be possible on Wii U, but to do it right, it would need to be rebuilt from the ground up, and that would require a hefty budget, not something any third party publisher will invest on the Wii U.

If so unless the DMA unit is cache coherent you can't go straight from cache to local store, hence the cache line/s would need to be flushed (used to update RAM - I'm not sure that is the right term) first.
Of course and can go straight from PPU cache, but it is considered as bad practice for large blocks.

according to Cell Broadband Engine Programming Handbook
19.5 Performance Guidelines for MFC Commands

DMA transfers from main storage have high bandwidth with moderate latency, whereas transfers from the L2 have moderate bandwidth with low latency

Back