3 Bad PSUs in a row!!!

So this computer build started in mid December has been the most frustrating thing I've ever done.

1. First video card Asus 270x DC2T black screened with any driver except a 6 month old driver..returned and bought the GTX 780.
2. Corsair HX620m from 4-5 years ago...failed (understandable) so I bought a new PSU.
3. Corsair TX650m was DOA and wouldn't post...returned and bought Rosewill PSU
4. After hooking up new Rosewill Capstone750m the board would only post 1/20-1/30 times. Once running it was ROCK stable. I said to myself "No way in hell you got another bad PSU" so I RMA'd my motherboard to Asus which checked out "OK" with them after 10 days.
5. Get the Asus mobo back and started thinking "Gotta be the RAM" since the RAM and CPU were the only things that hadn't been bench tested.
6. Took the board, CPU, heatsink/fan, and RAM to a buddy's so I could try his DDR3 1600 and his PSU just to triple check it wasn't another bad PSU. Hook it up to his shitty little 500 watt Coolermaster PSU and it posts...30 times in a row perfectly...with my RAM!!
7. Go home, start return process for Rosewill to Amazon and order Kingwin LZ-850...get it Monday.

Now here is my question...is it possible I am to blame for 3 bad PSU's in a row? I have built several computers and NEVER had an issue. All standoffs in case are fine, everything is tight and connected properly, I use proper protocal with grounding myself during build...so...WTF? Am I just the unluckiest person with PSUs or are there safeguards I am unaware of when doing the initial build?

Any advice on when I get this new Kingwin PSU on Monday and try this all over again? Can anyone recommend a good PSU tester to have at home?

Here is my build:

Asus Z87 Pro motherboard
Intel i5 4670k CPU
Team Extreme DDR3 2400 (2x8 GB)
EVGA ACX GTX 780
Asus VG248QE 24" monitor with DIY G-Sync upgrade kit

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bizarre. I want to blame ASUS but it looks like you tested that mobo thoroughly.

Definitely watch for shorts but if you're not seeing smoke you probably aren't killing PSUs that way. PSUs are usually pretty good at detecting shorts and shutting down anyway.

This would have been a better PSU(it is a rebadged seasonic), also cheaper.

GAF has a great guide to help pick the best PC parts here.

You have to be careful with Corsair PSUs. Although they built their rep with rebadged Seasonic units, they are now using a lot of CWT units, which are pretty cheaply made by comparison. I had to return a TX750M myself, though the previous TX750 from six years ago is still going strong.

Right now, I'd buy Superflower, Seasonic, BeQuiet's rebadged FSP units (Powerzone), or maybe Antecs rebadged Seasonics.

My initial attitude about PSUs had been "any of the major brands will be just fine". Well, that has changed big time. My local computer repair guy recommended the Kingwin so I ordered that one instead of http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-ATX1...8&qid=1391349985&sr=8-1&keywords=seasonic+850 which I had originally chosen. That XFX looked like a great value but I want modular.

I may return the Kingwin and order the Seasonic. I just noticed the Kingwin has 6 +12V rails vs single on the Seasonic. Based on my setup, what do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...51-102^17-151-102-TS&percm=17-151-102:$$$$$$$

You definitely want separate rails. If your computer develops a short, a single rail could allow the cables to pull so much current the insulation heats up to the point a fire breaks out inside your PC. Separate rails offer overcurrent protection.

You definitely want separate rails. If your computer develops a short, a single rail could allow the cables to pull so much current the insulation heats up to the point a fire breaks out inside your PC. Separate rails offer overcurrent protection.

If Seasonic is considered the gold standard by most, why are they all single rail?

I would only buy PSUs made by Seasonic, Enermax (not the CWT units, of course) or Super Flower. There are some good Delta & FSP units though.

Basically, all I need when buying a PSU is this mother-of-all-links: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm. It also easily shows who made what unit when buying brands that re-badge such as Corsair.

As for single vs multi rail: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

That is REALLY helpful. Kingwin is made by Super Flower so I think I am safe. Can somebody please look on Page 5 of this http://kingwin.com/products/cate/power_supplies/manual/lz_series/lz_manual_web.pdf

Since my dGPU needs 43 Amps, I am assuming I need either Option 1 or 2. Which would be "best"?

OPTION1
Hook 6+2 pin into 33 amp rail
Hook 6 pin into 20 amp rail
Total 53 amp

OPTION 2
Hook 6+2 pin into 33 amp rail
Hook 6 pin into 33 amp rail
Total 66 amp

OPTION 3
Hook 6+2 pin into 20 amp rail
Hook 6 pin into 20 amp rail
Total 40 amp

Are you cooling that GPU with liquid nitrogen and 1.5+ volts vcore or how on earth do you get it to draw over half a kilowatt...?

Are you cooling that GPU with liquid nitrogen and 1.5+ volts vcore or how on earth do you get it to draw over half a kilowatt...?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR
Requirements
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)
An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector
Total Power Draw : 250 Watts

The 42 amps requirement is for the WHOLE system. So no need for any concern.

There's no GPU out there that can receive that much current.

I would only buy PSUs made by Seasonic, Enermax (not the CWT units, of course) or Super Flower. There are some good Delta & FSP units though.

Basically, all I need when buying a PSU is this mother-of-all-links: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm. It also easily shows who made what unit when buying brands that re-badge such as Corsair.

As for single vs multi rail: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990
Thank you for posting this, this information is hard to find.

That is REALLY helpful. Kingwin is made by Super Flower so I think I am safe.
I'm glad to see that Kingwin uses super flower; I am using a super flower 650W PSU and it has been rock solid and quiet.

Yeah I've had my Enermax Infiniti 700 for several builds now. Definitely one of the top brands.

"Universal Modular Connector:

All modular connectors for Lazer Series Power Supply
are completely interchangeable."

I have a potentially stupid question given the above. This Kingwin PSU has (6) 12v rails. Does it matter which ports on the back of the PSU I use or are they all (8) identical as implied above?

+3.3V & +5V =170W
+3.3V&+5V&+12V=820W
+12V1~ +12V6=816W (68A)
Max Power = 850W

+3.3V 1.0A 24A
+5V 1.0A 30A
+12V1 0.8A 20A
+12V2 0.8A 20A
+12V3 0.5A 20A
+12V4 1.0A 33A
+12V5 1.0A 33A
+12V6 1.0A 20A
-12V 0A 0.5A
+5VSB 0.1A 5A

It matters in the sense that if you plug one 'port' to you gpu and leave another unconnected, the respective 12V rail will be used in place of the unconnected one.

But even this is not important

If Seasonic is considered the gold standard by most, why are they all single rail?

Standards have shifted. When users needed more power for overclocking and running Crossfire/SLI, manufacturers added more rails. Now, they've gone to a single, much bigger rail that supplies everything. Presumably it's more efficient because all your amps are in one place and can be used where you want, instead of divided up amongst multiple rails, none of which may be able to supply all the power you want to the power hungry devices on that rail.

I got nervous with that Kingwin LZ850 I ordered since it is a Super Flower unit just like my failed Rosewill Capstone 750m was also Super Flower. Refused it from Amazon when it got here and got a Seasonic X850 fully modular 80Plus Gold unit instead today. Spent an extra $50-60 than I wanted to but after 3 bad PSUs in a row I needed piece of mind and an end to this build!!

Happy to report up and running with zero issues. Amazon Prime is soooooo easy with returns....really do love that part.

Thanks for the input guys....

Back