Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor

just watched gametrailers review and... i did not like the game art direction i also still dont get the impression about the story, whetehr it will be good and involving or very barebone.

I played it for the entire evening yesterday. It really is a lot of fun. It cannot compete on sheer open world breath and scope with a R* or Ubisoft creation, or even with the tiny Seattle Suckerpunch created for Infamous if I'm being completely honest (let's face it - not every developer has an army of slaves and near unlimited budgetary means at its disposal), but in terms of gameplay it's simply head and shoulders above the competition. It's not just the dynamisms of the nemesis system either. It's the simple things like traversal and combat. You know, all that stuff Ubisoft never really managed to get quite right in the AC series. In SoM, it all just works.

I want to try a demo of this game...but....its been ages since they put a good demo in online stores
Back in teh good days we got demos every week. Of good games too

I want to try a demo of this game...but....its been ages since they put a good demo in online stores Back in teh good days we got demos every week. Of good games too

Batman Arkham Asylum is free with PS+ on PS3 next week. From what I've read, just play that and imagine Batman as a ranger and everybody else as orcs. Shockingly I've still not played the two Batman games but my copy of Shadows of Mordor is on its way to me and I look forward to playing it tomorrow.

Many orcs will die horribly :yes:

It really is like a re-skinned Batman Arkham game. Instead of detective mode, you have this ghost vision for finding hidden items. You analyze relics you pick up to hear recorded messages. The climbing is like Assassin's Creed, but the jumping takedowns from stealth are straight out of Batman, and the combat is a carbon copy. I swear it's the same game engine. It's just way too close for it not to be the same. They're both Warner Brothers, I think. Maybe this is an unofficial preview of the next Batman game.

Batman Arkham Asylum is free with PS+ on PS3 next week. From what I've read, just play that and imagine Batman as a ranger and everybody else as orcs. Shockingly I've still not played the two Batman games but my copy of Shadows of Mordor is on its way to me and I look forward to playing it tomorrow.

You should. Best Batman games since "Batman: The Video Game" released on NES in 1989.

You should. Best Batman games since "Batman: The Video Game" released on NES in 1989.

Ha! To had Batman on the Gameboy, complete with funky music and Batman (original 1989 movie tie-in) on the Amiga. Can't fathom how I missed Asylum and City, I was probably working abroad, but really looking forward to Knight :yes:

Ideally I'll get to play both before Knight.

It really is like a re-skinned Batman Arkham game. Instead of detective mode, you have this ghost vision for finding hidden items. You analyze relics you pick up to hear recorded messages. The climbing is like Assassin's Creed, but the jumping takedowns from stealth are straight out of Batman, and the combat is a carbon copy. I swear it's the same game engine. It's just way too close for it not to be the same. They're both Warner Brothers, I think. Maybe this is an unofficial preview of the next Batman game.

Batman games use Unreal Engine 3, this is an engine developed by Monolith, also and they never hid that FreeFlow was the inspiration/model of the combat system.
The purpose of Detective Vision is to highlight/show what can't be seen in a normal scenario and I can trace this mechanic back to Thermal/Night/X-ray vision of MGS and Syphon Filter on PS One and possibly even before that...and anyway it's just a sensible idea.
As for the climbing animations there are some obligatory and common grips/positions that human must assume/use to climb a wall so similarities are pretty much inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Batman games use Unreal Engine 3, this is an engine developed by Monolith, also and they never hid that FreeFlow was the inspiration/model of the combat system.

They should merge them. I want to be Bruce Talion, a Bat Ranger from Gothdor City. :yes:

^^^
Possibly the Dark Ranger skin is a step in that direction ;)

BTW Talion and Joker (Batman Orgins) are actually the same man :yep2:

A 760 shouldn't get anywhere near 60fps at Ultra with high textures in the benchmark. It's a slower GPU than the 670 and in the YT video I posted above that only scores 49fps in the benchmark with motion blur and DoF turned off. So 35fps from a 760 with those features on sounds pretty reasonable. Bare in mind a 970 at Ultra settings only scores about 73fps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Cu9Wb-6l0) so no way could a 760 score +60fps at the same settings (asiude from textures).
No I ran it at High (as per my post) not Ultra, setting borderless window from the free buffer and Mesh, shadows and Ao to High/medium get me a pretty good 60fps now with some dips.

^^^
Possibly the Dark Ranger skin is a step in that direction ;)

BTW Talion and Joker (Batman Orgins) are actually the same man :yep2:

He is also Joel from TLOU, Delsin from Infamous, Pagan Min from Farcry 4, Ocelot from Phantom Pain, Two Face from Arkham Knight, Batman from the Lego series and the character of COD:AW who lost his arm in the demo.

Troy Baker has done a lot of voice over work for major game characters lately.

:LOL:

The purpose of Detective Vision is to highlight/show what can't be seen in a normal scenario and I can trace this mechanic back to Thermal/Night/X-ray vision of MGS and Syphon Filter on PS One and possibly even before that...and anyway it's just a sensible idea.
As for the climbing animations there are some obligatory and common grips/positions that human must assume/use to climb a wall so similarities are pretty much inevitable.

Sure, Batman isn't the first game to use this kind of alternate vision. It's just that the combat is basically identical, but even the stealth is incredibly similar and the sort of "detective" gameplay as well. The combat isn't even similar. It's basically identical, from the prompts, to the way the enemies choose to attack, to the way your character will lunge from one target to the next to string combos. It's not inspired-by, it's basically outright copied. I would have thought there must be some connection between the games. I'm not complaining, because I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Well maybe Rocksteady did work on the game, consulted at least, or maybe FreeFlow is used "internally" between the two studios.
Possibly Rocksteady is named in the credits if they contributed.

I've heard that this did in fact not start out as a LotR game.
Either way, Assassin's Creed basically uses the exact game combat system too. It's just an awful lot clunkier in that game. Mordor's wraith vision is a lot more similar to AC's eagle vision than it is to Batman's dectective vision as well.

Hmm the batman comparisons are actually putting me off, I got Arkham City a while back and really struggled to get into it. It was ultimately abandoned for Farcry 3. Not sure what to do about this one now. Hell maybe I should give batman another crack first.

FC3 was praised for its well-crafted open world gameplay that gives players lots of freedom and surprising encounters. SoM is praised for the same thing. :)

Gamespot PS4/Xboxone/PC comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0dDPSQhaw

is it me or the rain drop slpash is kinda msising in the PS4 version ?
Xbone and PC seem to have it.

The splashing looks the same on both consoles to me with the PS4 featuring slightly heavier rain than the XBO. The PC version seems to have significantly increased rain density and splashing though.

The only other differences I could see in the PC version were a little extra debris on the ground in one of the scenes and a general increase in very distant detail but it's so subtle it's barely worth mentioning.

I'll be interested to see how the PC high settings compare. I'm going to guess they are a more direct match for the PS4 and unless you're packing a very powerful GPU the Ultra settings are pretty much to be avoided.

Incidentally I'm not seeing the PC aliasing issues that have been mentioned before. If anything the PC version looked a bit cleaner to me. I wonder if that's just an attribute of how they record the video.

Back