Opera 15 webbrowser released (aka. the end of Opera)

dZeus

Newcomer
Opera 15 final has been released.

For those who've used Opera before, this is what Opera 15 is: a skinned Chromium clone with maybe some small features ported over from previous Opera versions. From what I understand, Opera Software no longer was able to compete with the others and have fired a substantial of their development team.
Switching from an in-house developed browsers to a 'themed Chromium' clone will definitely make it cheaper to release new versions, but without being able to port over the features that made Opera distinctive from the other browsers, there will be no real good reason for users to switch to Opera versions of 15 and above.

For me, this means: R.I.P. Opera browser.

Can't say people didn't see this coming, as Opera Software at least for the past 10 years seemed to be hell-bend on introducing random new features into their browser in order to unlock some 'magic potential[' that would make people mass-migrate to Opera from Firefox/IE/Chrome. Instead, what happened was that they alienated their current user-base by not fixing existing features that broke during new releases and not focussing enough on stability and website compatibility (compared to other browsers). They got better with compatibility only very late into the game, and stability is hit-or-miss depending on the version used.

I'll keep using Opera 12.x until they stop releasing security updates, which is when I'll need to have a very good look at what alternatives there are, and which pose the least downgrade from my current browsing habits.

I thought the whole point was to take the unique features that Opera has and add them to a skinned Chromium clone?

I've seen the quality of Opera go downhill on the last couple of years,
it's a shame, I've been using it since the early 2000's

I guess when I'm tired of the poor performance of 12.15 I'm going to migrate to Firefox.

Does it handle many tabs better than Chrome? Chrome is absolutely horrible with a lot of tabs as there is no way to navigate beyond X amount (depending on the width of the browser window), unlike say IE which has "arrow tabs" to scroll through tabs.

If so, I may give it a shot as that's one of the numerous things that make Chrome completely unsuitable for everyday use for me.

Also wonder if it has better pop-up rejection than Chrome. Going to have to give it a try when I have some time.

Regards,
SB

Does it handle many tabs better than Chrome? Chrome is absolutely horrible with a lot of tabs as there is no way to navigate beyond X amount (depending on the width of the browser window), unlike say IE which has "arrow tabs" to scroll through tabs.

If so, I may give it a shot as that's one of the numerous things that make Chrome completely unsuitable for everyday use for me.

Also wonder if it has better pop-up rejection than Chrome. Going to have to give it a try when I have some time.

Regards,
SB

No brain solution is just open up another separate browser window...:???:

I'd rather have 4 browser windows open each with 10 tabs vs one browser window with 40 tabs...:LOL:

No brain solution is just open up another separate browser window...:???:

I'd rather have 4 browser windows open each with 10 tabs vs one browser window with 40 tabs...:LOL:

Heh, I do a lot of research and cross referencing. On an average day I can have up to 4-8 browser windows open with up to 40-50 tabs in each.

Yes, I'm not your typical user. :)

Right now I just use Chrome for things that I don't want to open in IE (Youtube, anything with flash). So it sits full screen on my secondary monitor in portrait orientation.

Regards,
SB

Found out this:
One of the key reasons for existing users' reluctance to switch immediately to Opera 15 is the fact that there are several beloved features from the previous version that are missing from this new build, including any support for bookmarks outside of Opera's Speed Dial.

I only need the side bookmarks panel Opera has.

Does any other browser have them?

Last time I checked they didn't

I remember someone who would always browse with a bookmarks sidebar, that was with Internet Explorer 5.
Alright, Firefox gives me it with ctrl-B and adding the "bookmarks" button to a toolbar does the same thing. That's a better UI for bookmarks that the drop down menu which lacks a scrollbar. In fact I don't know how to really manage bookmarks. I would need some dedicated, off-line software to import all my old bookmarks stashes (old firefox profiles from older OS installations, chromium bookmarks) and let me look at them by date, name, domain, categories I create myself. Then give me a single file I can back up (e.g. by e-mailing it to myself)

well I already migrated from opera to firefox since I made that question along with bookmarks. Just exported an html file from opera and imported it in firefox. It largely maintained the order.

I remember someone who would always browse with a bookmarks sidebar, that was with Internet Explorer 5.
Alright, Firefox gives me it with ctrl-B and adding the "bookmarks" button to a toolbar does the same thing. That's a better UI for bookmarks that the drop down menu which lacks a scrollbar. In fact I don't know how to really manage bookmarks. I would need some dedicated, off-line software to import all my old bookmarks stashes (old firefox profiles from older OS installations, chromium bookmarks) and let me look at them by date, name, domain, categories I create myself. Then give me a single file I can back up (e.g. by e-mailing it to myself)

Yup, I do that sometimes in IE 8 and 10. The sidebar can hold either bookmarks, history, or RSS feeds.

Regards,
SB

Chrome is absolutely horrible with a lot of tabs
I would like to add that chrome - at least on Mac - is terrible with many tabs because the rendering process keeps updating tabs even if they're hidden. Flash objects, pages with lots of complex graphics (like many tumblr themes) and so on cause a huge drag on the CPU. Sometimes to the point of system sluggishness. Terrible, and one of the biggest reasons I don't use chrome.

I've been using Opera for like 10 years (surely before firefox existed). Just not gonna give up now..

And been hating Chrome as well. Will see which bias will win in the end. ;)

Anyways, since I rely heavily on Opera Link it's hard to see me giving up on it. And it's not even implemented on v 15.

Back