New monitor time, for REALS this time!

The dell is a bit pricier, but I'm more worried about it's antiglare coating than the price. I've heard scary things about it...anyone have one who can tell me it's not bad/it's fantastic?

I bought that dell to my parents one year ago. We only have Dell IPS, would seem (I have the U2410, and they own a 2007 wfp and the u2412). For me & them, it's a perfectly fine monitor.

But it might be the fact that we're not so bothered by the anti-glare usually. I mean, I have personally never seen a (non-glossy) coating i don't like nor I do understand what can be wrong with it.

@digi
1. why on earth did you have to upgrade your phone, did you have one that didnt make calls ?
2. whats wrong with anti glare coatings ?

1. I had a Zio, which is a 2.2 phone, and my daughter swapped batteries with me because hers was going wonky. I found that 1-2 hours of unreliable battery life was insufficient for my needs, so I was going to buy a new battery for $20us...until I found out I could upgrade to an LG Mach for $50us.

The LG Mach has a sliding, illuminated keyboard and runs 4.0 flawlessy. I can pull any video straight from my PC and dump it on my phone and enjoy it during my break at work. It's call quality is stupendous and I can't get over the difference that having a real keyboard makes. (I got me some fatty fingers. :oops: )

I feel I made the right call. My whole family is now planning to upgrade to the Mach shortly. :)

2. Nothing! I like 'em, have 'em on all my eyeglasses and everything. I just heard that the coating on the Ultrasharps is so thick that it blurs the images on white backgrounds and tends to make the corners gray, wasn't sure if that was just the artsy colour nazis whining or if it was real. (Most people complained it wasn't good for photography/image editing for colour accuracy, not really on my list of priorities but I like to go in informed. ;) )

2. whats wrong with anti glare coatings ?
Dell's antiglare coat on at least some of their monitors has been extremely coarse in its finish which dulls the sharpness of the image, which some people find irritating. It's also been known to cause "bleeding" of light from subpixels on the more obnoxious offenders, like their 27" units.

Maybe this issue has been corrected/adjusted in more recent models.

That's the one I use in my office. While I believe any matte will blur the image to some degree, but my experience with this monitor is that I don't fell any blurriness at all (at least not any aggressive blurriness that could hamper my work). And I don't remember any light bleed or vignetting. Of course there might be some bleed and vignetting, but definitely not noticeable in my daily use and my work involves graphic.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what my TV in the main living room looks like, red line towards the right :( Thankfully since its main use is TV, I don't notice it much. Hopefully be replacing it this year though as the lines are propagating.

Back