Haswell vs Kaveri

Well if you want more colorful things, dunno :) it's not up to linux but to the endless diversity of software, toolkits etc. to support it. Maybe environments running on Mir and Wayland will handle it (Ubuntu, KDE 5?)
Right, although in Windows/Mac you get some support from the OS - i.e. it'll scale your window back buffer if you don't promise to do it properly yourself at a given DPI setting :)

[Edit] Looks like a Windows version of this laptop goes under the name "Clevo W740SU" too. Or at least the basic specs and externals look roughly the same between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for regressing the thread but has anyone found out the reason for the Kaveri delay? would it be something to do with global foundries?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/135...arnings-call-transcript?page=5&p=qanda&l=last

Whatever anyone has read before then is overwritten by this statement during the Q1 conference call. We will get their Q2 conference call tonight.

There are a few possibilities here, assuming the delay is correct. It could be because of the sluggish sales of desktop meaning the OEM's are still sitting on Richlands (most likely reason imo), it could be that consoles are getting top priority (good chance of that one) or it could just be that it's another Bulldozer. Obviously it could be a combination of reasons that made them decide to hold off.

Remember that AMD gives shipping dates for their APU's, not dates for actual products with them (as they have little control over that).

I don't think it is because of "sluggish" sales. Their market share is so low that with outstanding products they can grow multiple times in size. Thing is that they are not able to and with these push-outs after push-outs finally their 28 nm Kaveri will compete with 16 nm Intel products.

They need to switch everything to TSMC (or at least those products that are critical for their competitive image) and push that foundry for latest state-of-the-art process as much as they could possibly.

What are they thinking? Everything wrong imho

Windows 8 has been out for what 9 months now and AMD still doesn't have a compelling low power tablet /laptop chip.

I was going to upgrade my e-350 to this chip in my media center but I think i'm just going to buy an i3 at this point.

Windows 8 has been out for what 9 months now and AMD still doesn't have a compelling low power tablet /laptop chip.

I was going to upgrade my e-350 to this chip in my media center but I think i'm just going to buy an i3 at this point.

:?:

Temash and Kabini have been out for a while.

Kabini isn't sold as a standalone CPU, it's soldered onto motherboards and sold as a package (e.g. ECS KBN-I).

Unfortunately, it might still be a little hard to find, as AMD probably favors OEMs making mobile devices and nettops (such as the Gigabyte Brix, and maybe some Zotac stuff). I'd expect more products to show up in retails soon, though.

Otherwise, an underclocked/volted Richland/Trinity ought to do the job.

The chips are out but what's needed are laptops, tablets and motherboards implementing it. So product launches and availability are needed.

I can't find tem to buy any where. I just see richland and trinitys. I want something around 15-30 watts tdp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50001028 600372025&IsNodeId=1&name=Socket FM2

Wow, they've put out Athlon X2 340 and X2 370K!, single module/dual core with GPU disabled. The first one is Trinity, and sucks, and the second one seems to be Richland. It might be funny (4GHz base / 4.2GHz turbo, unlocked)

If you want to spot Kabini CPUs don't look there, though. They are only soldered, not standalone, exactly like Atom, E-350 or VIA.

But is it made in GF or TMSC fab?
Doesn't AMD have a contract with GF to buy X number of wafers every year in return for GF making a high power process option that allows AMD to have 4Ghz+ processors?
If that is true, GF might need more time to get it ready, hence the possible/rumoured push from Q4/13 to Q1/14.

Unfortunately, it might still be a little hard to find, as AMD probably favors OEMs making mobile devices and nettops (such as the Gigabyte Brix, and maybe some Zotac stuff). I'd expect more products to show up in retails soon, though.
Even in mobile devices I haven't seen all that much. Looks like there's a lenovo notebook (g505) out there with the fastest kabini (a6-5200) though I know couldn't tolerate that poor excuse of a ultra-low-res display in that form factor. There's also a Toshiba (L55Dt) out there which looks like it's just about identical (so all the same ultra cheap components like 100mbit lan, b/g/n wlan and similar unusable display) except they saved even some more pennies and inexcusably use only ddr3-1333. Still, I'd like to see some review of something A6-5200 based.

The chips are out but what's needed are laptops, tablets and motherboards implementing it. So product launches and availability are needed.

Wow, they've put out Athlon X2 340 and X2 370K!, single module/dual core with GPU disabled. The first one is Trinity, and sucks, and the second one seems to be Richland. It might be funny (4GHz base / 4.2GHz turbo, unlocked)

If you want to spot Kabini CPUs don't look there, though. They are only soldered, not standalone, exactly like Atom, E-350 or VIA.

where would I look ? When I bought my e-350 thatst how I got it

7730 vs 6670:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7730-cape-verde-review,3575-11.html

Quite interesting results for these (evenly matched) cards. When both are equipped with fast GDDR5, 6670 loses only by 7%. But when both are equipped with (slow) DDR3 memory, 7730 (GCN) card wins by a whopping 22%. GCN's caches seem to help it a lot in low bandwidth scenarios. This is a good sign for Kaveri integrated GPU performance. It will be the first AMD high end APU with a GCN GPU (Richland GPU was still based on old VLIW architecture).

However even with ~15% better bandwidth utilization, it's going to be hard to compete against Intel's 128 MB L4 cache... assuming AMD is still sporting a bog standard dual channel DDR3 interface (without any other bandwidth boosting/saving tricks).

However even with ~15% better bandwidth utilization, it's going to be hard to compete against Intel's 128 MB L4 cache... assuming AMD is still sporting a bog standard dual channel DDR3 interface (without any other bandwidth boosting/saving tricks).

You gotta need ddr 2133, or even consider 2400 then maybe clock your APU stuff higher.. and get a mobo with a display port and decent CPU cooler. All this stuff adds up to not quite cheap afterall but at least a 300W PSU is enough. Still the concept is workable I think, the problem being people who say "I need an i7 to do video editing and photos"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/19

L4 cache starts at $468, AMD isn't competing with it (unless you include discrete, which isn't what we're talking about in this thread).

Back