3DS post-release impressions *spawn

Have you tried to look both screens at the same time? I find it's difficult, because my 3D "sweet spot" simply is not at a position good for that.

i can't do this in lego star wars. I can do it a little in street fighter however. I can also quickly switch between the screens with no problems at all in the majority of games i've tried with 3d enabled

Have you tried to look both screens at the same time? I find it's difficult, because my 3D "sweet spot" simply is not at a position good for that.

Nope never tried. I don't understand why you would need to look at both at the same time. I mean, on the DS I never had to look at both screens at the same time. I never thought about it.

When I tested out the 3DS, I was testing the controls, checking out the depth slider, and how good the Dpad feels in your hands, etc. The back and forth in Pilot Wings was because I had to look at the map at the bottom to find my way. It wasn't something I did on purpose. I didn't even think people would have problems switching between screens until it was brought it. It felt really seamless to me.

I was really fatigue when I got my hands on the 3DS demo too, yet I was more than willing to stand around and play with it longer if it hadn't been for the long line of people also wanting to try it out.

It really depends on how easily you can see the 3D. I can look at the bottom screen and when I look back at the top screen its seemlessly 3D, there's no refocus or re-adjustment time at all.
This is curious. The human refocus time is 200ms, so switching focus back and forth should be quite a delay. But then I suppose you aren't refocussing between the screens which are the same distance away, as the 3D just comes from the major eye movements rather than lens reshaping. So I expect it becomes a personal thing - how well one picks up the 3D and whether they eyes can do it directly or with a little stress. 3DS seems to offer some barriers to entry for enough people that it doesn't have the instant appeal of DS, and the 3D selection isn't much help as surely the whole point of 3DS is the 3D?!

I still haven't seen one! :oops:

3DS seems to offer some barriers to entry for enough people that it doesn't have the instant appeal of DS, and the 3D selection isn't much help as surely the whole point of 3DS is the 3D?!

Its the main reason I've bought the system. But even with 3D turned off its still got everything DS had plus hugely improved graphics, analog stick and more. So I wouldnt say 3D is the whole point. Of course its quite a bit more expensive then DSi, which might make it a tough sell to someone who doesn't particularly like 3D. It'll probably need to come down in price for those people, or get a killer game they can't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope never tried. I don't understand why you would need to look at both at the same time. I mean, on the DS I never had to look at both screens at the same time. I never thought about it.

When I tested out the 3DS, I was testing the controls, checking out the depth slider, and how good the Dpad feels in your hands, etc. The back and forth in Pilot Wings was because I had to look at the map at the bottom to find my way. It wasn't something I did on purpose. I didn't even think people would have problems switching between screens until it was brought it. It felt really seamless to me.

I was really fatigue when I got my hands on the 3DS demo too, yet I was more than willing to stand around and play with it longer if it hadn't been for the long line of people also wanting to try it out.

In Ridge Racer 3D, it displays the map (and the location of the leading car) on the touch screen, so sometimes you want to check it out. However, since it's a fast racing game, unless you are in a long straight, you can't afford to look at the map and then look back to the 3D screen (or you'll hit a wall or something).

In a normal system, the map will be displayed along with the main screen, so you can naturally see both at the same time. On a DS it should also be easy to do so. Of course, this is probably also a game design issue.

Personally, I found that I can only play for about one hour or my eyes start to get tired, although one hour is already pretty much all the time I can spend on playing it :)

New 3DS owner reporting in. This is the first time I've ever bought a Nintendo handheld at launch (well not at launch but near it). I bought Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver. I'm pretty impressed with the 3D effect, although I find the "sweet spot" very small and the "shifting" very annoying. I would gladly buy a 3DS Lite or whatever the next revision is, if this is improved on along with battery life and screen brightness.
The DMP PICA 200 GPU is pretty decent, for a handheld. While its obvious that the PowerVR SGX MP4+ in the NGP/PSP2 blows the doors off 3DS, I think the 3D is going to win over consumers once better games come out. I hope Square Enix puts Dragon Quest 11 out for this thing.

The actual graphics (nevermind the 3D effect) of 3DS are pretty damn good in Pilotwings Resort. Far superior to Pilotwings 64 on Nintendo 64, which if you recall, ran at 20-something frames per second. Pilotwings Resort on 3DS has an unstable framerate, but looks beautiful when it's 60fps. Just watch the demo that runs--When you swoop over the palm trees, my eyes are seemingly seeing 60fps.

What other game should I get for my new 3DS? I can only afford one this coming week (being "poor" sucks! ha)..... Street Fighter IV ?

What other game should I get for my new 3DS? I can only afford one this coming week (being "poor" sucks! ha)..... Street Fighter IV ?

What genre do you like? I heard that the Ghost Recon game is surprisingly good. It's a Strategy game though. The graphics are DS quality with nice 3D.

What genre do you like? I heard that the Ghost Recon game is surprisingly good. It's a Strategy game though. The graphics are DS quality with nice 3D.

From what I've seen, they're PSP quality (reminding me of Killzone for PSP).

I love RTS (Herzog Zwei, Command & Conqure, etc) and turn-based strategy (Nectaris, Advance Wars, R-Type Tactics/Command, etc) as well as arcade racers (Ridge Racer, Daytona, etc). I'm torn now between Ghost Recon and Ridge Racer for 3DS,

I love RTS (Herzog Zwei, Command & Conqure, etc) and turn-based strategy (Nectaris, Advance Wars, R-Type Tactics/Command, etc) as well as arcade racers (Ridge Racer, Daytona, etc). I'm torn now between Ghost Recon and Ridge Racer for 3DS,

I heard Ridge Racer is a port and not an original game, so take that for what you will. The reviews are actually pretty good. Ghost Recon's graphics clearly looks like a DS game ported to the 3DS, but the good gameplay was a surprise to everyone. Probably one of the best 3DS launch titles.

I've played with it some minutes in a store and I've to say that the 3D effect is better than I was expecting. I played with a plane game that indeed is specifically designed to underline that effect and surely it does it quiet well. BUT there're things I absolutely not understand. They could easily build a definitive handheld NOW without waiting a Lite version: the case is awful and from an exterior point of view it's not better than a DS. Really something that few people would ever use outside. Second screen is absolutely useless nowdays... I don't know if they did it to possibly use old DS titles (I hope not... What an old way of marketing) but it was time to go ahead and make a one screen handheld with a bit bigger capacitive screen only 3D and probably it would have been a good handheld...

Back