3DS post-release impressions *spawn

It seems that in Japan, the PSP is overtaking the 3DS in both hardware and software sales.

And the only 3DS title in the top 10 game sales is a baseball game, wich is selling 12x less than the new dragon quest for DS.

For a recently launched Nintendo handheld? Auch.. They're really paying hard for the piss-poor launch line-up..

The system isn't going to survive on ported B-grade smartphone games, street fighter IV, a couple of good-looking resident evil titles and N64 remakes..

IMHO? Time for plan B: bring out GameBoy 3D in 2012, with a single >4" autostereoscopic touchscreen with hardware that surpasses the NGP.

It seems that in Japan, the PSP is overtaking the 3DS in both hardware and software sales.

And the only 3DS title in the top 10 game sales is a baseball game, wich is selling 12x less than the new dragon quest for DS.

For a recently launched Nintendo handheld? Auch.. They're really paying hard for the piss-poor launch line-up..

The system isn't going to survive on ported B-grade smartphone games, street fighter IV, a couple of good-looking resident evil titles and N64 remakes..

IMHO? Time for plan B: bring out GameBoy 3D in 2012, with a single >4" autostereoscopic touchscreen with hardware that surpasses the NGP.

Yes, because designing an entire system in a year is practical.

You think Nintendo should give up on a system because its only sold 850k in five weeks outside of the holiday season and with no killer games out yet (and at quite a high price)?

That's absolutely amazing..

So 3DS is having a hard time overtaking.. DS sales? Yeah, Nintendo is in a real fix.

When a system's predecessor is still doing this strongly and the competition isn't releasing their successor until the end of the year a company can afford to take a few months releasing some of their first strong first party games.

On the other hand, I am surprised that nintendogs+cats and Professor Layton aren't selling more strongly, since their predecessors were strong sellers on DS. It's probably mostly a matter of people waiting for 3DS to be out longer/have the releases they want. If you compare to PSP's launch lineup this seems much stronger.

I think what's more telling is how much handhelds have been dominating the top 20.

You think Nintendo should give up on a system because its only sold 850k in five weeks outside of the holiday season and with no killer games out yet (and at quite a high price)?

That's absolutely amazing..

Nah, the plan B thing was an exaggeration. It's what I thought they should've done initially.
Of course, they'll have to stick with the 3DS for at least 3 years.

BTW, having a plan B would mean they wouldn't have to design it from scratch. That's the whole point of planning a sideventure.

Nah, the plan B thing was an exaggeration. It's what I thought they should've done initially.
Of course, they'll have to stick with the 3DS for at least 3 years.

BTW, having a plan B would mean they wouldn't have to design it from scratch. That's the whole point of planning a sideventure.

Whats the point. A huge selling point for this system is the virtual store which doesn't come till the end of may. I'm sure when that happens with 3D remakes of nes games and gb , gbc and other handheld games they will pick up sales.

Also zelda oot is coming out by june .

Nintendo will be over 10-15m world wide before the NGP launches next year

Yeah, that's it. Everyone has been holding off on buying a 3DS cause what they really want is NES and Game Boy Color games...

Yeah, that's it. Everyone has been holding off on buying a 3DS cause what they really want is NES and Game Boy Color games...

Why you think people are lining up in droves for the current 3DS released games ?

Virtual console will bring in a steady stream of quality games releasing every week. Nintendo will have decades of quality games coming to the platform as I said each week

I don't believe that. It's a nice bonus but not the reason for buying a 3ds I think. Don't forget that we are entering a era where a lot of people grew up with the ps2 generation. A lot of people havnt played on a n64/psx, let alone a snes or nes.

Also if the wii store is anything to go buy it will be full of stuff nobody really cares about while the real classics are hardly released.

The 3DS won't take off until there's at least some of the bigger Nintendo titles released for it, like Mario, Pokemon, etc. It may even take until a redesign to take off. There is no reason to believe right now that Nintendo's store offerings are a serious factor.

Personally I agree with some comments from people on the GWJ podcast and other podcasts, that the 3D advantage is small for most games, but for 3D platformers it is very useful. So a Mario Galaxy on 3DS could be pretty awesome.

I don't know that the 3DS will do as well as the DS, but it will still probably sell at the very least half of what the DS sold, which is still a tonne.

I don't believe that. It's a nice bonus but not the reason for buying a 3ds I think. Don't forget that we are entering a era where a lot of people grew up with the ps2 generation. A lot of people havnt played on a n64/psx, let alone a snes or nes.

Also if the wii store is anything to go buy it will be full of stuff nobody really cares about while the real classics are hardly released.

the problem with the wii virtual console is that all the classics were released early.

People may not have grown up with a nes /super nes but ti hardly matters. They are just more reasons to buy a system. They will simply be new games for these people to play and cheaper games.

People apparently love paper toss , think they wont love super mario land or the legend of zelda on a portable for a few bucks ?

Why you think people are lining up in droves for the current 3DS released games ?
They're not. I'd advise you to leave that RDF.

Virtual console will bring in a steady stream of quality games releasing every week. Nintendo will have decades of quality games coming to the platform as I said each week
Virtual Console wasn't a major selling point for the Wii. Ports of older games sold through the virtual store (without the VC denominator but the same thing nonetheless) wasn't a major selling point for the DSi.

N64, SNES and NES games are (naturally) suffering a decrease in worldwide interest.
For some reason, no one cares about pong, pacman or even doom and wolfenstein.

Virtual Console wasn't a major selling point for the Wii. Ports of older games sold through the virtual store (without the VC denominator but the same thing nonetheless) wasn't a major selling point for the DSi.

N64, SNES and NES games are (naturally) suffering a decrease in worldwide interest.

If used properly, though, VC can be used to fill in some gaps during dry periods and gives the 3ds at the very least a slight boost in value. I'm personally interested in seeing what Nintendo will released for their "3D classics."

They're not. I'd advise you to leave that RDF.

why is it that wenever a new device comes out all the rage is porting doom and wolfenstein and quake ?
\

Look at it this way. Lets say the 3DS by the holiday has 5 games that are huge sellers and everyone wants. Those 5 games would only take up 5 months of a 12 month year. But virtual console gets games every week. Those games at low prices ($2-$8 ) will keep many people playing and using the device

Aren't we moving into the business talk area here? I thought this thread would be more about actual impressions.

Ok here are my first impressions:

Pros:
- Ergonomically, it fits well.
- Auto-stereoscopy works like a charm for me, adjusting the slider seems to relate to the distance between the screen and my eyes. It further increased my conviction that 3D screens will take over most mid-to-high end devices in a couple of years.
- Analog stick is nice (better than PSP and PSP Go), I'm quite confortable with its placement, unlike many people

Cons:
- Graphics are BAD in every single game I tried (didn't have SFIV in there), compared to stuff I've been playing in OMAP3 Androids and Symbian^3 devices (NOVA HD, NFS Shift, HAWX, Dungeon Defenders, Reckless Racing)
- Second screen now feels more like a thing that "gets in the way", rather than a feature that enhances the gameplay. I'd vastly prefer a bigger main screen.
- 3D Screen is just too small. Just by looking at the size of that bezel I'd feel ripped off for 250€.

I'm yet to see how the pricing will be with the carriers, but given the NGP's tablet-ish size and how Sony has been getting loads of exclusivity with A-class Android games (more than nVidia with Tegra!!), I now wonder if the 3DS' biggest threat will be the Xperia Play.

- Second screen now feels more like a thing that "gets in the way", rather than a feature that enhances the gameplay. I'd vastly prefer a bigger main screen.

I think part of the reason is the 3D screen. It's very difficult for me to look between the 3D screen and the 2D touch screen quickly, because the focus change. On the NDS, one can easily look at the two screens at the same time, because there is no focus change. Now when I'm playing Ridge Racer 3D, I can rarely afford to look at the 2D touch screen (which shows the current race track and car position) as I'll hit a wall or something very fast. :p

It really depends on how easily you can see the 3D. I can look at the bottom screen and when I look back at the top screen its seemlessly 3D, there's no refocus or re-adjustment time at all.

ToTTenTranz

No doubt the graphics in launch games aren't up to much outside of Street Fighter IV, but they at least play better then any of those games on normal phones/tablets ect. Xperia Play will be interesting, as its can actually be a decent handheld gaming system, unlike any normal Adroid or Iphone ect. Still I think I'll probably just go for the better slimmer version of the phone (Arc) and keep my 3DS for games though.

I think part of the reason is the 3D screen. It's very difficult for me to look between the 3D screen and the 2D touch screen quickly,

I tested this out with Pilot Wings and I actually have no problem with quickly looking back and forth between the 2. I had to use the map to find my way.

I tested this out with Pilot Wings and I actually have no problem with quickly looking back and forth between the 2. I had to use the map to find my way.

Have you tried to look both screens at the same time? I find it's difficult, because my 3D "sweet spot" simply is not at a position good for that.

Back