How to delete stuff on ps3

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Yo.

My 40 gig ps3 only has 500 Mb left of space! How do I delete installs etc. I have deleted everything I could find but that only gave me 3 gigs. I guess what I'm asking is where can I find all installed files?? And other stuff that one can delete

Under Game there's a folder called something like Game Data - here you should be able to find cached data and such. Make sure to check that it's actually game data and not a save when you delete it, among other by checking its size ;) (information can usually be gotten using triangle / information)

And later on consider a hdd upgrade! I'm at the stage of drilling my original one out (cos I can't get the frikkin screw out no matter what I try) but once I have changed it it'll re-open PSN for me. I haven't purchased anything in months or used PSN+ DLs and have even deleted lots and lots of game data. Makes me sad.

The first thing I did, when I got my PS3 fat and then again when I got a slim, was to replace the standard HD with a 500Gb. I've also attached a 500Gb external for backups and movies etc. I've always used a WD Scorpion Blue, they're very quiet and don't run too hot which is ideal.

It just makes using PSN hassle free because you don't need to be thinking about how much space you've got.

I've the original 40Gb HDD and I have no problems with space. If you finish games, you can erase them no worries. They are always available to download again should you ever wish to return.

I've just downloaded the 2GB LBP2 demo and 500 GB RISK demo. I've 7Gbs free and a few GBs of games on that I'm not playing and likely won't play ever again, like Warhawk and Rag Doll Kung Fu. So replacing the HDD really isn't necessary unless you are the sort of person who either likes to keep everything, or is using your PS3 as a media deivce. But the latter choice isn't really ideal, and you'd be better off investing in a proper media server and connect to that, so you can share media across the home network.

And later on consider a hdd upgrade! I'm at the stage of drilling my original one out (cos I can't get the frikkin screw out no matter what I try) but once I have changed it it'll re-open PSN for me. I haven't purchased anything in months or used PSN+ DLs and have even deleted lots and lots of game data. Makes me sad.

Have you tried using a long nose plier ?

I've the original 40Gb HDD and I have no problems with space. If you finish games, you can erase them no worries. They are always available to download again should you ever wish to return.

I've just downloaded the 2GB LBP2 demo and 500 GB RISK demo. I've 7Gbs free and a few GBs of games on that I'm not playing and likely won't play ever again, like Warhawk and Rag Doll Kung Fu. So replacing the HDD really isn't necessary unless you are the sort of person who either likes to keep everything, or is using your PS3 as a media deivce. But the latter choice isn't really ideal, and you'd be better off investing in a proper media server and connect to that, so you can share media across the home network.

GT5 install is 8 GIGS! I agree that 40gb is usually fine

I personally like replaying games and have a lot of games I return to (ir)regularly or that have DLC (songs for Singstar, Rockband), and since it costs so extremely little to upgrade, and you tend to get a faster drive to boot ...

I heard DC Universe Online is 16Gb when fully installed !

Yep, it is. I had to clean the fridge to install that. I'm running low on space on my 250gb drive :LOL:

Don't forget, in the Video section, there is a Blu-Ray utility folder. Cached data is stored there from Blu-Ray movies that you can check the space size and delete.

Something's a bit iffy. It appears disk capacity is getting eaten by invisible files.

I had 9 GBs free from 37GBs available. I counted PSN games and they're about 6 GBs. I checked save game data and found Borderlands comes to 5.5 GBs and Uncharted 2 another gig and a half, anda few hundred MBs besides from other gamse. Apart from a few photos I've no media. So all in all, that's less 16 GBs of visible content I could clear off. Add the 9 GBs free, that's 25 GBs, out of 37. So where are the other 12 GBs?!

Nope. Nor PlayStation life, not MUBI (deleted its stuff) nor Lovefilm. I've streamed a few programmes on BBC iPlayer and done a resonable amount of web browsing over the years, GameTrailers and YouTubing. But unless the browser keeps every single downloaded vid, that shouldn't be eating my HDD space!

37GB? Do you mean you have the 40GB model?

How about vidzone? Is it possible Sony 'reserve' XGB for some game compatability?

This was an annoyance when I sold my ps3. Wanted to delete everything quickly and ended up just performing a factory reset which took forever. Would love it if there was just a general Memory section in the XMB to see everything on your HDD.

GT5 install is 8 GIGS! I agree that 40gb is usually fine

I thought Sony limited it to 5gb installs, has that changed?

Back