Capcom announces DmC Devil May Cry, developed by Ninja Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good to me. The artistic direction is certainly the best in the series so far.

I'll disagree, as it stands DMC's art design (the ones made by capcom) are still completely unique, infact DMC games sort of introduced the underworld goth look in video games.

I'll disagree, as it stands DMC's art design (the ones made by capcom) are still completely unique, infact DMC games sort of introduced the underworld goth look in video games.

I ve got to say that I like the art direction as well.

I also like how the environment changes in the presence of demons. Instead of using some "transparent (demon) shield" that prevents you from living a certain area until you destroy every enemy (See all Ninja Gaiden games, God of War and previous DMC games), the environment is transformed by the demon forces to prohibit you from going away. Its more immersive and believable this way. Its also more impressive and interesting to look at

I second that. I also preffered the kind of " Horror devil hunter " aspect of first DMC series. Knowing that DMC 1 was meant to be a RE but changed direction I really loved the silly saturated dirty organic look of the stage levels it did feature and had that ghotic vampire feeling to it like a cross between Vampire hunter D+ Cobra ( Dante's behavior ).

This one has this Ninja theory touch with plenty of more vivid colours and specific enslaved-like colour palet that doesn't really appeal to me. In terms ofgameplay it does lack something IMO. In DMC1 I found that the combos really work well and chained perfectly. i don't know about DmC but the moves look a bit chaotic, the Air combos which is kind of a trademark in DMC series is present but doesn't give the same feeling and the spinning moves look just overmade and ridiculous. Same goes for the finishing move with that camera.

I don't know how the IA will react but in the stage demo it looked like the ennemies just sat there and waited to be slashed without doing nothing really. But I m just not fan of the artistic direction DmC has taken.

The old Devil May Cry was a simple static anime costume drama, the new one appears to be fully interactive. The newer one appears to be more a technical achievement. Ninja Theory is clearly putting an emphasis on innovation rather than tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize that if you want to generalize and draw parallels then you can draw parallels with so many things regarding this new DmC as well. Far too many people generalize japanese media as 'generic anime fluff' while in turn ignoring the generic aspect of the new western redesign. For instance the original Dante is cocky yet he's likeable due to his childish attitude, this one looks to be your typical spoiled badass with atitude problems, resembling something straight out of twilight.

The point is regardless of what one views, the original series is still unique design wise and so are the character design (the iconic status of Dante and Vergil proves this). And gameplay wise DMC is pretty much the only hack and slash that allows so much freedom as far as mixing up/ combining movesets and weapons is considered, and if this new game doesn't atleast builds up upon that then it'll be surely a disappointing thing.

You realize that if you want to generalize and draw parallels then you can draw parallels with so many things regarding this new DmC as well. Far too many people generalize japanese media as 'generic anime fluff' while in turn ignoring the generic aspect of the new western redesign. For instance the original Dante is cocky yet he's likeable due to his childish attitude, this one looks to be your typical spoiled badass with atitude problems, resembling something straight out of twilight.

The point is regardless of what one views, the original series is still unique design wise and so are the character design (the iconic status of Dante and Vergil proves this). And gameplay wise DMC is pretty much the only hack and slash that allows so much freedom as far as mixing up/ combining movesets and weapons is considered, and if this new game doesn't atleast builds up upon that then it'll be surely a disappointing thing.

Except I'm not talking about the character traits of Dante ( quite irrelevant to me to be honest ) but the technical design of the art. You see, this is purely academic: It's pretty clear to me why this DMC is 30 fps and why the old Devil May Cry is 60 fps. That, it would appear it has nothing to do with DMC using UE like people seem to be suggesting or as if it's some limitation in Ninja Theory's "skill" to deliver the type of game you want. To my point of view, they are going past anything that was ever done in a Devil May Cry game from a technical side, purely doing something of their strength. Something that's in need of praise.

Let me also add that I won't be commenting any further because the mods won't like my opinions.

Here's hoping NT has finally figured out how to use UE3 properly. I'm not too bothered by 30fps. Strike that. Not really giving a shit is a more apt description. That said, barely 30 fps with a ton of tearing a la Enslaved and we have a real problem.

I think it looks totally awesome by the way. Love the latest trailer. The way it drives the Nihongophiles up the walls only sweetens the deal.

Really enjoying the DMC HD collection right now. I finished a run on DMC3 and now going through the first game. NT has big shoes to fill and I've never found combat in their games to be satisfying. We'll see how it goes.

Really enjoying the DMC HD collection right now. I finished a run on DMC3 and now going through the first game. NT has big shoes to fill and I've never found combat in their games to be satisfying. We'll see how it goes.

Just dont play DMC2 if you want to keep the positive experience :p

When I got DMC2 back in the day I couldnt believe how fucked up the gameplay was. Gameplay wise its one of the worst games I have ever played. Its like it was developed by some small unknown untalented developer house that wanted to make a game just for the sake of it. There was no logic, no structure, no thought behind the gameplay. It didnt give you a chance to enjoy the moves because the gameplay didnt make much sense. They just put a guy with 2 guns and a sword and some targets to use his weapons on. Everything that made DMC1 so awesome did not exist in the second. Not even the trademark super cool DMC "sword uppercut, bullet juggling" move worked like it should.

But DMC1? Oh my god! What a work of art. A masterpiece!! Especially the gameplay. It probably has the best art direction and atmosphere of all the DMC games too :) Capcom brought depth of fighting games into an action game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back