AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
1. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, 360) 920,800
2. Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, PS3) 893,600
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) 124,600
4. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, 360) 121,600
5. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) 110,400
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, Wii)
7. Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, PS3)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, 360)
9. NCAA Football 11 (Electronic Arts, 360)
10. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii)

1. Xbox 360: 356,700
2: Nintendo DS: 342,700
3. Wii: 244,300
4. PlayStation 3: 226,000
5. PlayStation Portable: 79,400

Tommy McClain

Madden did pretty well this year, great sales for the first day. Should do another 300 to 500 thousand before next years release.

NPDaugA.png

NPDaugB.png

NPDaugC.png

wii down year to year but the other two up, ps3 will be down next month though as I cant see it selling 490k like last sep, there is a possibility that the xbox360 will overtake the wii on the 6 month scale (never happened before).
My predictions based on amazon werent too bad, xb 400k, wii 230k, ps3 220k, also so far for sep according to amazon we have the possibility that the wii will be 3rd!!!

Dang, Wii a lot lower than I expected. I was thinking X360 might beat it but not by that much.

Madden going on to show the trend that as install base grows disparity between install base is rapidly starting to mean less and less. The only thing that's going to cause large disparities going forward is going to be if a title has a particular affinity for one console or the other, IMO. At least when charting. Total software sales should still go to the console with the larger install base, however.

Nothing else that's terribly noteworthy except perhaps for COD: MW2 on X360 still charting in the top 10.

September has the potential to be huge for MS. It'll be interesting to see what sort of impact PS Move will have on PS3 sales for Sept., also. I've really got no clue how it will do. I'm not hearing the same buzz for it in RL as I do for Kinect, so it's hard for me to judge whether it'll move lots of PS3's or not.

Regards,
SB

I'm surprised at Madden selling so well on ps3 despite lagging significantly in unit sales.
The Wii surpassed 30m lifetime in NPD sales.
Halo game next week, makes it pretty certain what will be on top for september. I fully expect that the 360 will stay on top through the holidays unless kinect really misses the mark.

It seems in general ps3 overperforms when it comes to non fps games. I guess ps3 users are of a different gaming demographics than the 360.

It seems in general ps3 overperforms when it comes to non fps games. I guess ps3 users are of a different gaming demographics than the 360.

Not always. Certainly not to the degree that madden has done this month. Assassins creed II was nearly 2:1 for the 360 in sales.

I'm pretty sure the reason why the PS3-version of Madden is as close to 360-version, at 360's own home-turf (north america); is simply because when you buy the PS3-version, you get the complete game.
And when you buy the 360-version of Madden - for the same price - you only get half the game, and then you have to rent access to the other half (online play).

I think that the gamers who want to play Madden online, isn't neccesary buying as many titles, as the gamers who play Modern Warfare online.
And probably feel more aversion to keep paying Microsoft money for access to internet-gaming, when they get it for free other places. :-/

Madden is up from last year, if you add 360 and PS3. Didn't they have the online pass stuff, too?

Yes, but it's only for a secondary purchase of Madden. Out of the 1.9mil of sales, how many sold it right away? Also how many were to buyers that wanted to play online? There was 10k users online (360) as of this afternoon when I played. I'm thinking Online Pass will be more of a deterrent than a profit driver

Yes, but it's only for a secondary purchase of Madden. Out of the 1.9mil of sales, how many sold it right away? Also how many were to buyers that wanted to play online? There was 10k users online (360) as of this afternoon when I played. I'm thinking Online Pass will be more of a deterrent than a profit driver

You can't measure online user base at a given time as proof of anything. Tomorrow, there could be 10K people on, and 9K of them could be completely different people from the previous day.

Also, online pass will be more of a deterrent for buying used copies, I hardly think anyone went to buy it new and then said "wait, you mean if I sell this the next guy can't play online? I'm not buying it then".

Piracy might be a factor for a popular game that many won't play online?

Its probably the Xbox 360 piracy / console failures catching up to it. I don't think the actual active buying userbase is as different as the strict NPD sell through numbers imply.

Its probably the Xbox 360 piracy / console failures catching up to it. I don't think the actual active buying userbase is as different as the strict NPD sell through numbers imply.

Yeah that's what I think. Plus a little bit of new console owner effect. Over the last 12 months, I believe PS3 has sold about 90% of what 360 has, and new owners buy the most software.

If 360 stays at it's torrid hardware pace, maybe it will pull back ahead in Madden sales by next August for example. Because at this pace, PS3 Madden almost sold more.

I really do wonder what part piracy plays. I'd say perhaps we'll see in time with PS3 jailbreak evening things out, but I dont know that jailbreak is going to be equivalent to the widespread piracy on 360, seeing as it currently seems fairly patched.

And finally of course, there still is the fact PS3 software outperforms on pretty much everything but FPS, and vice versa for 360.

Also, there is DLC becoming a bigger and bigger factor, as some GAF commenters noticed. XBL points cards are typically the best selling accessory every month, and it seems Dead Rising Case Zero was a big hit (I read something about it having more than 300k on the leaderboards early on).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, online pass will be more of a deterrent for buying used copies, I hardly think anyone went to buy it new and then said "wait, you mean if I sell this the next guy can't play online? I'm not buying it then".

It could have an effect resale value though. The first buyer COULD go through a logic process like "this has online pass, I'm going to get $10 less when I resell it used back to Gamestop" which could be a deterrent.

Piracy has nothing to do with it, nor does red-ring.

Madden was marketed almost like an exclusive for the ps3 this year, that the answer you are looking for.

Piracy has nothing to do with it, nor does red-ring.

Madden was marketed almost like an exclusive for the ps3 this year, that the answer you are looking for.
Do you honestly believe that? Madden has been on 360 for years. You'd have to live in a box for the last half decade to think that it was a PS3 exclusive. It may have skewed the numbers slightly, but I doubt that much.

Back