[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

WOW

R3 video is up at EU blog ! More screens there too ! Radical new art direction ! Brown, brown ....BROWN !!!! :D I think Insomniac is trying to pull off a Guerilla Games in terms of atmosphere !

I did not like the style of Resistance 1 & 2 but this has super style.

Amazing.

I cannot believe they have such amazing fire/flame effects. Is that full res or does it look good because of tiny res video.

Great fire/flame animations.

Character design and animations are much much better than before.

Like a completely new and amazing game.

Will they make 360 version?

Last edited by a moderator:

R3 video is up at EU blog ! More screens there too ! Radical new art direction ! Brown, brown ....BROWN !!!! :D I think Insomniac is trying to pull off a Guerilla Games in terms of atmosphere !
Another game that surpasses what I believed possible on PS3! How do some developers achieve such a well made blend of art, animation, physics and visuals is beyond me.

Even if it doesnt have the performance quality of a demanding title running on an alienware high end PC, they appear to make such a good work with the limited available resources that the game world feels "real". I dont know how to describe it. Its the same kind of feeling I get when I watch a CGI scripted movie. Not necessarily in the IQ, But in how everything runs and fits together so "smoothly". Almost as if it is done "effortlessly"

Its crazy how much talent these developers have. If these guys could pull out this in 2007, the PS3 would have had a different image today.

Are we serious with the praise? Even a respected guy like Alstrong? :p

Looks...underwhelming to me.

The trees blowing is nice, and the boss fight kind of reminds me of a low rent Brumak (which, Epic never actually delivered a decent Brumak fight), but the rest of the game almost looks like something from THQ quality to me.

First Resistance 3 trailer was a lot more promising.

Edit: Just checked and I dont even see GAF going totally gaga over this, and they go gaga at the drop of a hat over exclusives, so I guess I'm not totally crazy.

I'm also a bit worried about being forced to use ironsights for being able to hit a target, like in R2, instead of shooting from the hip like in RFoM.

I hope not. Ironsight will probably help with the initial BullsEye tag. By and large, I will (try to) run and gun in R3. Not a big fan of R2's triple-shot Marksman too. Don't like ME2's assault rifle either.

I must be the only person alive actually disappointed by the return of health packs.:cry:

Why ? It adds a little strategy to how you approach the level. Otherwise, we would mob the floor too easily with a fully loaded weapon wheel.

Very... stunning, though I must say I'm not too fond of the orange and grey. I thought I was watching a commercial for Killzone until I saw the aliens.

Yap, we should see different colors in other levels though. The teaser trailer already showed a grayish level.

Looking at the opening scene, I was wondering if they will pack a mini-fan with the CE edition. ^_^

Does it run at 60fps?

Doubtful given Insomniac's stance.
Are we serious with the praise? Even a respected guy like Alstrong? :p

? *sigh* It's just a well put together video with some scenes I thought looked really cool for what it is trying to show. Stunning as in exciting looking. I don't think it's underwhelming/boring in terms of presentation, far from it. Take away all the alpha effects and then I'll agree. What's also nice is the consistency in lighting for characters.

But hey, if you would really prefer, I could just say it looks like a pile of shit because of the colour palette and the texture resolution, however we're not going to get anywhere with the discussion by focusing solely on the negatives. Or maybe you'd rather praise other games that have a checklist of tech to go along with an art direction that bores me to tears. :)

The teaser trailer already showed a grayish level.

That's not helping to reassure me! XD I figured we'd get something a little more lush in the countryside as portrayed in the original live-action/CG-mix teaser. The monotone scale isn't doing it for me. :s

Is that full res or does it look good because of tiny res video.

Highly unlikely... highly. Seriously now. :p That said, the abundant use of smoke in the air is a nice touch for the mood.

Clear upgrade in atmosphere with the wind, looks awesome and sets the scene.:cool:
I hope they can add MLAA so it's crisp and not a jagfest like crysis 2.

The wind looks good, but it looks like it should be affecting your movement going by how hard it's blowing.

Maybe they can at least do something like Killzone 2's train level and have it affect grenades.

Looks like they really improved the shadowing, looked awful in Resistance 2.

Are we serious with the praise? Even a respected guy like Alstrong?

Looks...underwhelming to me.

First Resistance 3 trailer was a lot more promising.

I think the praise all around is cos a lot of us a R:FOM fans and are happy to see R:FOM sensibilities making a comeback after R2 debacle :D ! Add to that, this new look of Resistance after the Boat level reveal , though doesn't match up to KZ or Gears, shows a very promising SP. I don't like the brown look, infact its so different from the Boat level that watching both of them together they feel like two different games. but that also means every level might feel very fresh !

Graphics don't really hold up though. Low res textures everywhere and that Gorilla ain't the most awe inspiring thing ever :LOL: ! But its Resistance, its got the Health bar and Weapon wheel back, has a swanky new 50's HUD, and its BACK:cool::p:D:devilish: !

From 2:07 onwards, the video is absolutely R:FOM on steroids ! Loving it ! THey got the feel back. Now get this demo into my ps3, my new 500gb HDD is waiting to be filled !

OT, but Ratchet games always have such amazing enemy designs, something that doesn't really get carried over to Resistance, though its the same studio working on it!

That's not helping to reassure me! XD I figured we'd get something a little more lush in the countryside as portrayed in the original live-action/CG-mix teaser. The monotone scale isn't doing it for me. :s

The original RFOM has pretty dull colors too, mostly pale gray, brown or snow white. But as you dwell deeper into the alien occupied domain, you see more colors and intricate structures.

The trailer has a desolate Earth look, which reminds me of KZ2's dusty atmosphere.

Highly unlikely... highly. Seriously now. :p That said, the abundant use of smoke in the air is a nice touch for the mood.

Yap, it conveys the strength of wind (scattered smoke, swaying trees and road sign)

I think the praise all around is cos a lot of us a R:FOM fans and are happy to see R:FOM sensibilities making a comeback after R2 debacle :D ! Add to that, this new look of Resistance after the Boat level reveal , though doesn't match up to KZ or Gears, shows a very promising SP. I don't like the brown look, infact its so different from the Boat level that watching both of them together they feel like two different games. but that also means every level might feel very fresh !

Yes, that's my thought too (Different places, different mood). I would also like to look at the NPCs, and the landscape in more details. Everything should fit the story and tone. R2 has colorful levels throughout but lost all the atmosphere.

Graphics don't really hold up though. Low res textures everywhere and that Gorilla ain't the most awe inspiring thing ever :LOL: ! But its Resistance, its got the Health bar and Weapon wheel back, has a swanky new 50's HUD, and its BACK:cool::p:D:devilish: !

From 2:07 onwards, the video is absolutely R:FOM on steroids ! Loving it ! THey got the feel back. Now get this demo into my ps3, my new 500gb HDD is waiting to be filled !

OT, but Ratchet games always have such amazing enemy designs, something that doesn't really get carried over to Resistance, though its the same studio working on it!

Monster designs in Resistance are rather simple. It's the variety/combo and AI that made them special. They forced me to run all over the level. Hope Insomniac keep the pace.

There's still the story telling part to worry about. ^_^

Looks pretty cool, while not at kz3 level yet it does blow away resistance 2 and make blops look like ass though.
I think I'll disagree with this one...I must be one of rare people who thought best moments of BLOPS are better looking than most other FPS on consoles:D

Back