Journey

patsu

Legend
http://kotaku.com/5566573/journey-from-the-creators-of-flow-and-flower-explained

flOw and Flower developer thatgamecompany is making something new, Journey, a game that's about singing, sand, hiking, cloth, surfing, astronauts and feeling small. And, in a radical departure for the team, it uses two whole buttons.

Journey is a multiplayer online adventure for the PlayStation 3 that aims to explore the emotional palette that its peers don't, said thatgamecompany game designer Jenova Chen. He says he was inspired by a player's feeling of empowerment, both in real life and in video games. In the real world, human beings are capable of knowing so much and being in constant communication, thanks to technology. In video games, players feel godlike in the way that they wield power, whether by wielding a rocket launcher or the invulnerability of playing as a virtual character.

:love: :love:

Gamescom preview revealing more of Journey's premise and gameplay:
http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/64117/journey/articles/71870/Gamescom-2010-Journey-Preview/

The developer's third title, Journey, has an even stranger premise. "A man made of cloth explores ruins of an ancient civilization in a desert as he journeys towards a distant glowing mountain."

There will only ever be one other player inside your game at a time. Chen didn't want the desert to be overrun with players as it would ruin the atmosphere of the empty and desolate environment.

Your singing ability (a short chime that is reminiscent of many sounds in Flower) is one of the few actions you can perform, alongside jumping. With these you'll take part in the actual gameplay of Journey, which involves taking advantage of the cloth that is found all over the desert. Because the main character is made of the same material, he reacts to any cloth he comes across, allowing him to float and access higher, harder to reach areas.

If this has even an iota of the feel that flower created or a touch of the flow about it then it will be pure bliss to play!!

If this has even an iota of the feel that flower created or a touch of the flow about it then it will be pure bliss to play!!

Yep. Whilst I loved Flower I want even more from Journey. :)

Thanks for posting that Gamescom coverage patsu. I'm off to investigate some more. But as I'm here I'll ask is this expected/confirmed as PSN or a full retail release? I preordered £300+ of games earlier today on a whim so I'd prefer a PSN release because that'd make my hobby easier to rationalise.

I got all excited thinking that they were remaking the Journey arcade game...

What I found here was severely disappointing. :(

Tommy McClain

Yep. Whilst I loved Flower I want even more from Journey. :)

Thanks for posting that Gamescom coverage patsu. I'm off to investigate some more. But as I'm here I'll ask is this expected/confirmed as PSN or a full retail release? I preordered £300+ of games earlier today on a whim so I'd prefer a PSN release because that'd make my hobby easier to rationalise.

What did you pre-order ?!

What did you pre-order ?!

On PS3/360 only I got LBP2, CoD: Black Ops, Crysis 2, Mafia 2, Deus Ex, inFamous 2, Dead Space 2 and, finally... Enslaved (don't question this one - I loved HS you see!). I realised the only pre-orders in place were GT5 and KZ3 you see.

Actually I was worried about nothing. Release dates stretch into March next year. The tragedy is that when I eventually get around to playing these games (except LBP2 which I'll dive into straight away) I could get them heavily discounted.

Sorry for the OT.

Anyone think we'll see a HD Journey released for PS4 - and Vita - anytime soon?

I expected some talk to surface about it at E3, but so far nothing, according to what I've seen anyway...

Who knows, but right now it seems we at least got to see a spiritual successor from one of the creators, right? Looked pretty good.

Any word yet on what date this is being released on PS4? I know it'll be a cross buy but I'd rather wait to play on ps4 first.

Any word yet on what date this is being released on PS4? I know it'll be a cross buy but I'd rather wait to play on ps4 first.

Official announcement:
"Today we are happy to share that a whole new generation of players will experience the wonder of Journey when it comes to PlayStation 4 later this year."

Concrete date is not offered. Crossbuy with old PS3 version will be supported. :)

If I just watch a video of someone visiting the Amazon Rainforest/Niagra Falls/a nightclub/a bowling alley instead of going there myself, will I miss something important?

if i just watch journey on yotube will i miss something important?
Don't do it.....it was made to be experienced, not watched. Don't spoil ur chance of having the experience.
Its made with the philosophy of Flow theory and brilliantly at that. Play it or don't, but please don't watch it and lose any chance of experiencing it ever.

shifty, some games are fine when enjoyed through youtube and then i like it, and i get the game on PC. i have done it for a couple of games >_<
but for some game like TLOU, im glad i did not watched youtube. or the 1st chapter will be a waste.

@renegade
can you elaborate more what experience in journey?

from trailers i though its just like thomas was alone (side scrolling, enjoying the view with some story element)

Back