Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

Do we have any info about this ; does OtherOS feature fill up space in memory , or maybe in HyperVisor?

I mean perhaps this is not about piracy but about adding other features like Cross-Game Chat. They need more memory space for that and couldnt reduce memory usage anymore so they know that vast majority don't care about OtherOS and decided to remove it.

Just a theory,
without legs to stand on :mrgreen:

Either way it sucks, OtherOS is my precious. :cry:

I can't believe that Dragona over at NeoGAF is banning people who are suggesting hacking can (and does, 100% of the time) lead to people pirating software.

Hackers and Homebrew enthusiasts may have the best of intentions, but there is zero question that it always leads to piracy in the long run.

It's a very touchy subject, and the thread you're talking about is just full of half-informed opinions and posturing anyway. Probably best not to bring it over here.

It's a very touchy subject, and the thread you're talking about is just full of half-informed opinions and posturing anyway. Probably best not to bring it over here.

I just think it's poor behavior on the part of someone who is supposed to regulate behavior, not guide discussion the way you want it because you disagree with someone's opinion. Still, you're right.

Anyway, I really hope that Geohotz gives up his "quest" for CFW. A lot of the times hackers don't understand that there is a very distinct "feed back loop" between their actions, and the actions of the manufacturers. The harder they try, the more steps they will begin to take to make things hack proof. More DRM, crazier activation set ups, etc.

It's just bad news when people let their ego's get in the way (which is clearly what is happening with this ass hat geohotz).

I just think it's poor behavior on the part of someone who is supposed to regulate behavior, not guide discussion the way you want it because you disagree with someone's opinion. Still, you're right.

Anyway, I really hope that Geohotz gives up his "quest" for CFW. A lot of the times hackers don't understand that there is a very distinct "feed back loop" between their actions, and the actions of the manufacturers. The harder they try, the more steps they will begin to take to make things hack proof. More DRM, crazier activation set ups, etc.

It's just bad news when people let their ego's get in the way (which is clearly what is happening with this ass hat geohotz).

CFW makes things much better.

Look at my DSI . I have a card and a 8 gig micro sd card. I'm able to keep my games all on it (that i legal own) Now my ds is truely portable. I don't have to carry anything but it with me. Its great for me. I stil lbuy all my games btw.

Look at psp .my custom firmware enhanced my battery life by allowing me to put my games on a memory stick which had the benfits of making load times bearable. I'm able to put higher bitrate videos on it also.

CFW can be a great thing. Many use the original xbox as a good media extender. A CFW ps3 may let me fully install games that have bad load times which could be interesting for me.

Bingo. Custom Firmware adds features to systems. Every machine I've added CFW to has been significantly improved. XBMC is still one of the best media centres around... if it comfortably did 1080p MKV I'd likely still be using it. PSP's CFW made the system far more palatable given the system lasted longer than a short flight thanks to not needing the UMD to spin up frequently. DS simply made life easier at not having to carry a game wallet full of cards.

To say the sole purpose of CFW is piracy is purely ignorant, and has been bannable on GAF many times in the past... this is no exception, and if people are silly enough not to read up on how the site works (particularly given you can't post until you sit in the "approval" queue for a good many months) they deserve to be banned.

Similarly, removing features from a system's firmware will no doubt only drive more people to desire custom firmware... which will probably just be a Linux base, like the Xbox1 and 360 have IIRC. Ironic, huh?

CFW makes things much better.

Look at my DSI . I have a card and a 8 gig micro sd card. I'm able to keep my games all on it (that i legal own) Now my ds is truely portable. I don't have to carry anything but it with me. Its great for me. I stil lbuy all my games btw.

Look at psp .my custom firmware enhanced my battery life by allowing me to put my games on a memory stick which had the benfits of making load times bearable. I'm able to put higher bitrate videos on it also.

CFW can be a great thing. Many use the original xbox as a good media extender. A CFW ps3 may let me fully install games that have bad load times which could be interesting for me.

You're missing the point (as usual). YOU may use it for Legal purposes, but that VERY SAME CFW allows people to PIRATE (read: STEAL) games. NEVER...EVER...does CFW prevent anyone from pirating a game, especially when it comes to consoles / handhelds.

Period. As a result, these companies put out firmware updates / hardware revisions that further restrict the consumer. It is BECAUSE of CFW that this kind of stuff happens. How can you not understand that?

Bingo. Custom Firmware adds features to systems. Every machine I've added CFW to has been significantly improved. XBMC is still one of the best media centres around... if it comfortably did 1080p MKV I'd likely still be using it. PSP's CFW made the system far more palatable given the system lasted longer than a short flight thanks to not needing the UMD to spin up frequently. DS simply made life easier at not having to carry a game wallet full of cards.

To say the sole purpose of CFW is piracy is purely ignorant, and has been bannable on GAF many times in the past... this is no exception, and if people are silly enough not to read up on how the site works (particularly given you can't post until you sit in the "approval" queue for a good many months) they deserve to be banned.

Similarly, removing features from a system's firmware will no doubt only drive more people to desire custom firmware... which will probably just be a Linux base, like the Xbox1 and 360 have IIRC. Ironic, huh?

Saying that CFW is only for piracy (which I did NOT say) and saying CFW will always be exploited by pirates no matter what (which I did say) are two completely different things.

Also, I'm pretty sure only a small handful of Mods are getting their Nazi on with regards to CFW and banning.

You're missing the point (as usual). YOU may use it for Legal purposes, but that VERY SAME CFW allows people to PIRATE (read: STEAL) games. NEVER...EVER...does CFW prevent anyone from pirating a game, especially when it comes to consoles / handhelds.

Period. As a result, these companies put out firmware updates / hardware revisions that further restrict the consumer. It is BECAUSE of CFW that this kind of stuff happens. How can you not understand that?

There is already a form of piracy on consoles called used games.

Getting a psp hacked for you is a pain in the ass the average consumer isn't going to bother. Getting a ds hacked requires finding a place to download games and then getting a 3rd party card and a memory stick. The average person is not going to do it.

Getting a psp hacked for you is a pain in the ass the average consumer isn't going to bother. Getting a ds hacked requires finding a place to download games and then getting a 3rd party card and a memory stick. The average person is not going to do it.

Used games still feeds into a healthy eco system. Piracy doesn't give anything back at all.

It's healthy for retailers and consumers. Piracy hurts everyone including consumers .

EDIT: Not denying that used game sales hurt developers, just saying piracy has a much, much worse impact than used games will ever have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying that CFW is only for piracy (which I did NOT say) and saying CFW will always be exploited by pirates no matter what (which I did say) are two completely different things.

Also, I'm pretty sure only a small handful of Mods are getting their Nazi on with regards to CFW and banning.

So you agree CFW is a good thing for consumers then?

And only one moderator needs to be involved. Why would multiple need to be involved? Same with any site. Dragona at GAF is very well respected across the board... not sure if you're a regular or not but that should come as no surprise.

have a firmware update with a java run time engine. Put up an app store and let people develop for it and then sony could take a part of the profits.

I was under the impression you could use it in the web browser

Not sure how developers getting no money from sales of the games they work on is healthy.

People selling their games to stores tend to use that money on new games

Hell yes. I have a dozen things on my PSP Sony will never get around to giving us.
Hell, some of the things we do have are because of CFW or other homebrew/hacking efforts (wallpapers, web browser, PS1 emulator, themes, tv out)

Hell yes. I have a dozen things on my PSP Sony will never get around to giving us.
Hell, some of the things we do have are because of CFW or other homebrew/hacking efforts (wallpapers, web browser, PS1 emulator, themes, tv out)

On the other hand, CFW and the associated piracy is the reason no dev cares for the PSP anymore, as no games are sold!

So you have your nice(?) features, but no games - if this is what you guys want...great for you (and this is not meant to be sarcastic), not so great for PSP gamers (and the devs, and to some extend Sony)!

On the other hand, CFW and the associated piracy is the reason no dev cares for the PSP anymore, as no games are sold!

So you have your nice(?) features, but no games - if this is what you guys want...great for you (and this is not meant to be sarcastic), not so great for PSP gamers (and the devs, and to some extend Sony)!

I don't think that PSPs lack of game sales can be attributed to piracy alone. If that were true, then wouldn't we also see lackluster DS sales. That system has been hacked for as long or longer than the PSP.

Homebrew can be a really cool feature without piracy. I have a modded XBox with XBMC which I still think is the best media player on consoles. Hopefully someday, either MS or Sony will match or exceed this homebrew player.

And only one moderator needs to be involved. Why would multiple need to be involved? Same with any site. Dragona at GAF is very well respected across the board... not sure if you're a regular or not but that should come as no surprise.

Dragona is known as a Nintenodobot, and lately she seems to just arbitrarily have Sony fans in her sites, though she's always arbitrarily banning some group for some reason or other, basically a never ending power trip.

have a firmware update with a java run time engine. Put up an app store and let people develop for it and then sony could take a part of the profits.

Well, something like that would be a good idea. Personally, in exchange for OtherOS I'd gladly take something like the PhyreEngine.

April 1st and Firmware 3.21 though ... it would certainly make for a nice April 1st joke. But in the context of everything I'd not dare wager a bet on it.

I don't think that PSPs lack of game sales can be attributed to piracy alone.

I really think so. The problem is that we cannot prove my opinion or yours.

But for me it is rather obvious, that devs and publisher care about the piracy aspect. I don't think that they are appreciative to some people who want CFW not to pirate games, but to get some additional features...

Guys, I know a lot of you are on GAF, but B3D is not the NeoGAF 'chill out lounge.' ;)

Every post that has the word 'GAF' in it around here would be just as pertinent were the references to be removed, know what I'm saying? And certainly Dragona discussion is best held elsewhere.

Clearly you don't understand it correctly.There are always people who will do it for others be it for money or just as a favor for friend. I have atleast 20 people in my knowledge right now who will buy a PS3 the very next day its able to run backup games & let me tell you they know jackshit about technology or even have any knowledge as per what firmware their Xbox 360s or PSPs are running. They'll just go & get it modded by a person who does these things & pay him few bucks, The number of people who do everything on their own is a minority.

Back