CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 314.3K 3
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 275.4K 4
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 272.5K 5
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 252.8K 6
MASS EFFECT 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K 7
DANTE'S INFERNO: DIVINE EDITION PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 242.5K 8
DANTE'S INFERNO 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Feb-10 224.7K 9
HEAVY RAIN PS3 SONY Feb-10 219.3K 10

Looks like the Bioshock franchise is associated with the 360.

Nice hold for ME2. Good debut for a niche title like Heavy Rain.

Wow at 360 hardware!

PS3 and 360 had a few good games released. NSMBW can only carry the Wii for so long.

PS3 and 360 are higher than I thought (especially PS3 with the shortages). Were there Wii shortages, or are the PS3/360 just that impressive?

Pretty good numbers for Heavy Rain; I didn't expect it to do very well TBH. BioShock 2 PS3 didn't perform very well it seems (I expected half of the 360's sales).

NPDfebA.png

NPDfebB.png

NPDfebC.png

Good numbers for xb360 + ps3 (esp with the shortages,can it possibly do 500k if sony get their act together next month)

Very very cool to see Heavy Rain make it into the top 10.

Kind of surprised that Bioshock 2 didn't do better on PS3. But that's countered by Dante's Inferno doing better on PS3.

MW2 still 3rd for X360, looks like it'll have as much or more staying power than MW did. And PS3 owners feel the same voting with their dollars to put it as the number 1 PS3 title for Feb.

So, 4 titles for X360, 3 for Wii, and 3 for PS3. One of the most balanced top 10's I've seen in NPD. Although first PS3 title comes in at 5th.

Both X360 and PS3 sold more hardware than I expected for Feb. It'll be interesting to see if Wii stays in a virtual tie with X360/PS3 for console units sold until Holiday season. If it does, it's come down to parity roughly a year sooner than I expected.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure that the titles Nintendo has lined up (which are pretty good) have the sort of appeal to make up for NSMBW interest flagging. That said, no, I don't think the Wii will be in 2nd place among consoles for long.

in my area wii is sold out everywhere again, and people are snatching up the limited quantities right when they come in.

I wonder why the Wii is supply-constrained. There's already a thread speculating about the PS3, and a few plausible theories, even.

The PS3 sales are up 80ks from last month. I thought they were in shortages? My only guess is that Sony has been cracking up the volume but has yet to meet demands. The articles on shortages have been dated back at least a month or so.

Good numbers for Bioshock 2 and Heavy Rain. Surprise AVP didn't chart. I thought they had a large fanbase. I like to see the top 20 titles if anybody has it.

Interesting that Dante's Inferno sold better on the PS3, though I don't think these numbers were as high as EA hoped for.

Heavy Rain is about where I'd expect. God bless Sony for putting their money behind something that weird.

Very very cool to see Heavy Rain make it into the top 10.

Kind of surprised that Bioshock 2 didn't do better on PS3. But that's countered by Dante's Inferno doing better on PS3.

MW2 still 3rd for X360, looks like it'll have as much or more staying power than MW did. And PS3 owners feel the same voting with their dollars to put it as the number 1 PS3 title for Feb.

So, 4 titles for X360, 3 for Wii, and 3 for PS3. One of the most balanced top 10's I've seen in NPD. Although first PS3 title comes in at 5th.

Both X360 and PS3 sold more hardware than I expected for Feb. It'll be interesting to see if Wii stays in a virtual tie with X360/PS3 for console units sold until Holiday season. If it does, it's come down to parity roughly a year sooner than I expected.

Regards,
SB
I thought the same, but it should be expected if you think about it. BioShock was a timed exclusive and had huge success on the 360. When it was later released on PS3, it didn't nearly have the same success as it did on 360. Now, even though they released the sequel simultaneously, there aren't as many PS3 owners with the first game.

MAG has been out since late January. It didn't do too well in the US (seems to be doing ok in Europe though).

As for BC2, I'm guessing it will be quite close between the PS3 and 360 with the 360 being a little ahead.

What? The Wii is limited by supply again? I must not have gotten the memo. Every walmart, target, or Best buy I walk into has full supplies of them and has for over a year now. (Central Cali)

I'm really disappointed in the Bioshock PS3 numbers, what a great game and a great franchise. I really wonder how many PS3 owners at this point also have a 360 and would rather play franchises on their "original" console. I'm real interested in seeing the Madden numbers for next year. It used to be a PS franchise, but after MS spending all the cash they did on Madden the first couple of years it appears to have shifted to "a 360 game". It'll be interesting to see if that holds true this year, or if the numbers even out.

If I had to guess, I'd also bet that Live has a great deal to do with multiplayer games being purchased for the 360 by multiple console owners. This might have also impacted those Bioshock2 sales.

So... what are the games that are supposed to rejuvenate the Wii sales? I'm not familiar with any of them, it's an honest question.. not a troll.

The PS3 sales are up 80ks from last month. I thought they were in shortages? My only guess is that Sony has been cracking up the volume but has yet to meet demands.

I would take the unsteadiness (or break), in supply to be indicative of the shift to a new SKU rather than the demand outstripping production. Not that demand isn't obviously high, but units would show up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and disappear; this has been just a complete blackout. I think that 65nm RSX fabrication may have been cut too early in anticipation of slightly lower demand, and what we've seen is a gap while the 45nm RSX equipped units prepare to ship.

That assumes of course that a new 45nm unit is imminent, but I'm onboard for that theory.

Anyway great month for both 360 and PS3 unit sales; software shook out the way one might expect. Afterall with B2 I would think that owners of the first would be the primary audience for the second, and the majority of those bought it on PC and 360. Software for all was decent overall.

Are there any good explanations as to why the Wii sold so poorly this month relative to pretty much every other NPD?

Back