5750 or 250 GTS?

They are the same performance tier.

Not exactly there - some games would show them together but rezzing up to HD + some juicy AA and watch the 250 topple (not that the 5770 would do that good either)

Nevertheless the justification to upgrade is not there at all. 57XX is only a great upgrade for G94 (9600GT) and below...

I recommend that he go with the Voodoo5 of all things. T-buffer ftw :D

Not exactly there - some games would show them together but rezzing up to HD + some juicy AA and watch the 250 topple (not that the 5770 would do that good either)

Nevertheless the justification to upgrade is not there at all. 57XX is only a great upgrade for G94 (9600GT) and below...

I recommend that he go with the Voodoo5 of all things. T-buffer ftw :D

It al depends . If you have a 250 it should still fetch a good price. The 5770 at the $130 price point with say $70 back from the 250 card would be a smart move.

You get better performance in dx 10 games. Even better performance in games that have dx 10.1 and then dx 11 performance. Also I believe the cards run cooler and use less power.

Of course if you have a gt 250 you might want to wait for the 5830.

I'd hang onto the GTS 250 and save my pennies until I could buy a 5850. Why mess around? And wait to see how Fermi goes down and if it causes price changes. I'm not much into "mid range value" honestly. I bought a 3850 at $200 when it was THE "amazing" value of the moment (8800GT was $300), ooops. :D

My fastest card is still my 8800GTX, which I think is slower than or about equal with GTS 250. I'm waiting till 5850/5870 drop in price or a refresh comes along. Fermi might even be an option. With hardware like a GTS 250 in your box right now, you aren't exactly living an unbearably slow existence lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't go with anything less than the HD5850 if I wanted DX11 today, seeing that about all benchmarks show huge FPS losses in DX11

I wouldn't go with anything less than the HD5850 if I wanted DX11 today, seeing that about all benchmarks show huge FPS losses in DX11

Sort of. When running same features on Dx11 versus Dx9, there's generally an overall increase in speed. Depending on what features are enabled, it can decrease speed. As always it's a new balancing act.

Interestingly, that means for lower powered cards, running Dx9 level features on Dx11 path would result in better performance which can be critical in that market segment. Likewise any game implementing AA in Dx11 that should also work on Dx10 hardware will see an overall speed increase on Dx10.1 and Dx11 cards versus Dx10.0 cards.

Additionally some features run faster with better quality. HDAO in Battleforge for example implements a higher level of AO that is not only better quality but also faster than Dx9/10 AO.

Regards,
SB

Sure but the future is more effects, not faster with yesterday's effects. The results for DX11 games show that the current high end cards are the only choice if you want to play with DX11 at any sort of high resolution. I imagine that in a year the current midrange cards will be reminiscent of the first midrange DX10 cards that everyone has forgotten outside of notebooks. ;)

Sure but the future is more effects, not faster with yesterday's effects. The results for DX11 games show that the current high end cards are the only choice if you want to play with DX11 at any sort of high resolution. I imagine that in a year the current midrange cards will be reminiscent of the first midrange DX10 cards that everyone has forgotten outside of notebooks. ;)

Well considering I doubt anyone with a 30" monitor will be looking at a 57xx or 250 class card... ;)

I think the predominat demographic for this card is likely to have a 22" or lower monitor with a res of 1680x1050 or lower.

As well as Dx11 gains prominence. There will be gains to be had even if you have to turn off Dx11 specific features and go back to Dx10.0 or Dx10.1 where 10.1 might still give you a significant speed advantage.

And you'll always have the option to pick and choose which Dx11 features to enable/disable with a Dx11 card. So in general, you should always have the option for a better looking game.

So in a year, it's possible the 57xx cards will perform even better versus 250 than currently. And not everyone updates their cards every year. :) I still have many friends with 8800/9800 and 3870 class cards that I keep recommending not to upgrade as their gaming needs don't require anything more powerful.

Regards,
SB

Isn't it better getting a strong DX10/DX10.1 card then instead of a weaker DX11 card SB?

I mean, what's the point in having one of the weaker DX11 cards if you need to turn off features, or even go back to DX10/10.1 to get good performance?

Isn't it better getting a strong DX10/DX10.1 card then instead of a weaker DX11 card SB?

I mean, what's the point in having one of the weaker DX11 cards if you need to turn off features, or even go back to DX10/10.1 to get good performance?

the 5750/70 are strong dx 10/.1 cards. The 250gts is only a strong dx 10 card.

The 5750/70 then throws in being a solid dx 11 card to boot.

Not only that but it does it with less power it seems. At this point even if you can only throw on a few dx 11 effects it may be teh smarter card considering that many dx 11 effects seem to boost performance over a dx 10 path.

Dx10.1 perhaps. But optimizations in 10.1 and 11 can quite possibly erase whatever raw performance advantages a dx10.0 card might have depending on what is implemented.

Additionally CS 5.0 in Dx11 actually increases performance of similar features in Dx10.0. So it's quite possbile that in Dx11 games that a much slower Dx11 card will actually be faster than a Dx10.0 card using the same or better graphical options.

Regards,
SB

But if we said the HD4890 vs the HD5770, would you go for the HD5770?

But I am mostly thinking there are so few games using DX11 right now, so I would rather wait until it has gotten more ground and then get a DX11 card

It al depends . If you have a 250 it should still fetch a good price. The 5770 at the $130 price point with say $70 back from the 250 card would be a smart move.

Paying 60$ to replace GTS 250 for 5770 is a smart move? That trade would put the 5770 as almost twice as expensive than the GTS, and for very little gain. Imo no reason to go through with something like that. I'd get another GTS 250 for 70$ and SLI them.

The 5750 is pretty weak - DirectX 11 sounds good and all, but I'm doubtful of that card's abilities to properly run any DirectX 11 games on the market. I can shave a few dollars off the price and at least put you into HD5770 territory.
Link

the 5750 is not THAT weak.. just don't expect to run extremely high resolutions with full AA/AF and effects.. and it's till priced a bit high imo. The 5770 is more than capable and the 5750 is only about 5-15% slower.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1177/7/

In Dirt2 (DX9) it keeps close with the GTX260.. not bad for a card that ranges from $100-130 vs a card that costs 2X as much.. In DX11 its very playable (>30FPS) at 40fps @ 1920x1080 8X AA.. making for a very affordable and very OC friendly (20%+ Core 15%+ Mem) solution.

Save money, buy high-end card, get big gains, more funz.

Actually, I'd just hold onto GTS 250 and wait till the next infinitely exciting round of new hotness GPUs.

Just a note:

The 'The 5750 is pretty weak' posts deleted from this thread appear to be some form of auto spam. Keep an eye out.

:(

Just a note:

The 'The 5750 is pretty weak' posts deleted from this thread appear to be some form of auto spam. Keep an eye out.

:(

Auto spam? I don't understand! Is it some kind of bot thats trawling the internet to diss the HD 5750? :D

Back