NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

First, let me show some good will by starting with what I agree I was either wrong or severely imcomplete about (and of course I may be wrong about more):
Groo The Wanderer said:
or do you think there is a little collaboration between the two sides? If it is the former, then you would be right. If it is the latter, then go re-read what I wrote, and stop being totally selective on your quoting.
That's perfectly reasonable, and indeed if you believe you could have that level of information then it's not fair of me to reject that reasoning. I was simply assuming that since you weren't certain whether Fermi did tape-out in W42, you probably couldn't truly know the amount of activity (versus a simple 'it has or hasn't taped-out') around the derivatives. But of course, what you know is not what your sources (or their own sources) know, and in foresight it seems perfectly reasonable that you'd know about one but not the other.
Groo The Wanderer said:
I know what the problems they were trying to fix are, it sure sounds like you don't.
You're right; I certainly don't know, although I obviously agree they couldn't be minor ones if it took 7 weeks. It does seem rather extreme to claim that a completely new architecture should only take 2 weeks to respin, including bringup; but 7 weeks is still clearly more than you'd expect. I'll also admit I assumed that you didn't know either; but I can certainly believe that if you say so.

MfA said:
Just a for instance ... they might have a game stopping bug in the top metal layers, but have a clock limiting one lower in the stack.
That's perfectly reasonable; although as silent_guy indicated, they'd probably park the risk wafers before the first metal layer since the time difference is so small. And if the silicon layer is affected, then I'd expect the 'respin' to be named B1, not A3.

Of course, I have to admit that I suspect NVIDIA has started to name spins for marketing reasons. Specifically, Tegra APX 2600 is an 'A3' even though it includes significant silicon layer changes compared to the APX 2500. I assume they did that so their customers would be less scared of switching most existing design-ins to that revision. So it's possible that they'd name A3 what should logically be a B1, and then you'd be even more right.

Grall said:
From samples to launch in 3 weeks? That's your "pessimistic" analysis?
I'm getting a bit tired (nearly midnight here), but I think I made it 4 weeks from production lots and *6 weeks* from hot lots: 21-17=4; 21-15=6. But I agree: even then, for an ultra-pessimistic scenario that is clearly too optimistic. Add at least 2-3 weeks to that, assuming no major SW/driver issues (which seem rather unlikely since they'll have had the A1s for 9 months then!) and possibly even more due to issues that only crop up in the real-world rather than theoretical analysis.

---

Now the disagreements/misunderstandings:

dkanter said:
You won't go from tape-out to silicon back in 4 weeks.
I used Charlie's own numbers for this: 7 weeks for a full tape-out, 4 weeks for a respin based on wafers parked before the metal layers. Those seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Groo The Wanderer said:
Depending on where the risk wafers are parked, it shaves some time off. I cut the time almost in half in my estimates, from about 7 weeks to 4. It could be less. What misunderstanding?
Oh, I agree with the numbers. What I took exception with is that you said 'assuming Nvidia parked a few wafers' in that paragraph whereas later you refer to risk wafers as if they were a certainty and the only question is whether they will need to be scrapped. I do realize that you know they are used for both things, I simply found the article's phrasing a bit misleading.

Groo The Wanderer said:
I would think they would be mighty stupid to not test A2 before they pulled the trigger on $50M worth of wafers.
Well, nothing forces them to produce all of them before getting the hot lots back, and remember there is also both a direct and an indirect (brand reputation/investor confidence/...) loss from being even more late to market. So producing $10-15M, for example, may be a good compromise. However remember this: there's no reason for them to order so many of them in advance if they didn't plan to use them fast. I know yields went back *down* at TSMC, but surely they were (naively ;)) expecting the reverse. Of course *if* they are themselves very uncertain whether A2 is good to go, they wouldn't want to waste all $50M and I'd be crazy to deny that.

Groo The Wanderer said:
Interesting question for you Arun, if you know A2 will work, why pay for the hot lots?
Mostly (but not exclusively) bring up & early chips for the driver guys, obviously. Which is also why I'm confused that a respin should only take 2 weeks once you've got silicon back (we do agree 7 is not a good sign at all).

Groo The Wanderer said:
(think they showed only simulated graphics for fun?)
I'm not aware of any demo that made extensive use of OGL/DX, but what do you mean by 'simulated graphics'? Do you mean CUDA-generated stuff, or are you claiming they were unable to demo anything (even CUDA) on real silicon? I do have good reason to believe they weren't lying when they claimed N-Body ran on real silicon in real time (live), but then again I'm not sure we disagree on that.

Been so waiting to post this. ;P

In my recent "Ask Nvidia a question" thread. We were allowed to discuss Fermi's DX11 features.

Q: How is NVIDIA approaching the tessellation requirements for DX11 as none of the previous and current generation cards have any hardware specific to this technology?

Jason Paul, Product Manager, GeForce: Fermi has dedicated hardware for tessellation (sorry Rys :p). We’ll share more details when we introduce Fermi’s graphics architecture shortly!

Sorry if you got singled out Rys. ;)

That doesn't really mean much. HW support for tessellation can come in so many flavours/degrees..

Last edited:
Considering they are quoting it in the context Rys delivered it. ((yes they mentioned him. I thought about changing it but I left it as is)). What I will say is this. From my conversations with Nvidia over the past 2 months. Its not a "software" pipeline.

Chris

Well.. someone is trying to push the message (like 3DVision)

http://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce
Fermi Fun Fact of the Week: Fermi for GeForce has dedicated hardware for tessellation. Sorry Rys :)

Maybe nVidia want to take a page out of AMD's book and let us know the release date and vantage scores a couple of months in advance?

IN regards to Fermi's tessellation. Me and Amorphous over at Nzone decided that this was rumor that Nvidia needed to address and managed to convince them to fess up a bit.

IN regards to Fermi's tessellation. Me and Amorphous over at Nzone decided that this was rumor that Nvidia needed to address and managed to convince them to fess up a bit.

I think no-one gives jack-squat about a possible tessellation unit if this card doesn't get to retail in the next three months, maybe that's a rumor someone wants to post a "fun-fact" about?

I think no-one gives jack-squat about a possible tessellation unit if this card doesn't get to retail in the next three months, maybe that's a rumor someone wants to post a "fun-fact" about?

I think you are quite wrong. There have been some serious questions about How Fermi will handle tessellation. Across multiple forums. Many people believe that Nvidia doesn't intend to support it. Its simply not true. Being hardware enthusiasts who care about this sorta thing. I don't agree that people do not care about Fermi's tessellation unit.

This isn't actually just a thing they "twittered" it was a part of our weekly questionaire to Nvidia.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=109093

I think you are quite wrong. There have been some serious questions about How Fermi will handle tessellation. Across multiple forums. Many people believe that Nvidia doesn't intend to support it.
Huh? They *have* to support tesselation as defined by the DX11 spec... there has never been a question about that. They can't not support DX11...

As to whether it is supported in hardware or software is more of an interesting implementation detail - obviously they are going to make the trade-off that works best for their hardware.

As nAo says, their response doesn't really mean much... there are a lot of bits of the tessellation pipeline that could be in hardware or software, and it just depends on the ability and efficiency of the programmable units to handle the various parts. The comment about there being "hardware for tesselation" can thus actually be interpreted in the negative light of "does that mean the cores aren't general enough to efficiently implement a tesselator or parts of it?".

Now obviously I have full confidence in NVIDIA to make the right call here for their measured workloads and hardware/software tradeoffs, but I can't see how anyone could be worried/excited/happy/sad about how it works either way. If they gave more details on what parts are done in hardware you could get some insight into the capabilities of the software stack on Fermi, but other than that I don't see how this is an issue to anyone.

Huh? They *have* to support tesselation as defined by the DX11 spec... there has never been a question about that. They can't not support DX11...

You'd be surprised how Rumors can get a little crazy and once they filter around the web they lose alot of their original substance. Yes its obvious Nvidia has to support tessellation in DX11 if you understand DX11. Whats not obvious is how this is information is changed/misunderstood and reposted across the web differently.

Like I said. Nvidia has reiterated to me countless times it isn't a software pipeline. And I got them to answer the question to the general masses who are not always at "Beyond3d" level of 3D Hardware understanding. Rys's inclusion is obviously to point to where the rumor started from. And maybe a slight rub at him. I'm not sure.

We don't even have a good idea if TS works well in HD5870...

If NVidia has serious problems with GDDR5, then something like N-Body, which is compute limited and light on global memory bandwidth (and benefits from shared memory) is a great demo to do.

Jawed

Is there a performance-minimum-level defined in DX11 for Tesselation?
Has to be so, because otherwise Intel could sell their CPUs as DX11-Hardware.

So when there is a performance-minimum-level this level should also be reached by the low end DX11-Hardware. So it can't be slow on the High End Chip.

That's a can-O-worms right there.

I don't know, maybe any "hardware" that can do DX11 through partial software only emulation could be certified as DX11 capable? The lines blur the further the GPU moves to a general purpose processor.

So when there is a performance-minimum-level this level should also be reached by the low end DX11-Hardware. So it can't be slow on the High End Chip.

Actually, software render on i7 outperform their IGP...

I dont think DirectX has ever mandated a performance minimum? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rys never said it was a pure software tesselator, this is what he said:

Rys said:
With regards to it being a 'software' tesselator, what I mean by that is I think there's some hardware support, mainly in terms of memory management, but they didn't manifest the entirety of what they could do in silicon.

Regardless, the support will be fully DX11-compliant.

5870 takes about a 40% performance hit in Unigine benchmark when tessellation is enabled. it will be interesting to see if Fermi/GF100/GT300 takes a larger or smaller performance hit. that is the only thing that should matter.

Back