Best laptop bag?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm looking for a laptop bag, and I'm looking for the biggest one I can legally carry on an airplane as a personal item pretty much. I like messenger bags, but the backpacks seem to be the way to go for maximum storage.

Anyone have any interesting input? It's for the Inspiron 8200 which is just a 15", so I'm pretty flexible.

I have a Case Logic roller bag that holds:
1x 16" laptop, charger, mouse
1x PSP in case with games
1x ipod touch
1x noise canceling headphones
1x book to read
2x cell phones with chargers
misc other stuff like change of socks and shirt

Fits in every overhead, even a MD-90

Mine is 5 years old but most like this current model:
http://www.caselogic.com/16_rolling_laptop_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=138045

It's been to China 15 times or so, Japan 12 time, Europe 20+ times, etc.

I have a Case Logic myself (specifically this one) so I can attest to their durability, confort, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Ugh.

Dug around the house and found an old backpack and messenger bag that cleaned up really nice after a run through the washer...only problem is they both suck for my laptop. :(

The messenger bag is just too freaking small, I can't even fit it in the pouch; and the backpack whilst I can manage to cram it in has no padding on the pocket so the lappy is rather vulnerable. :???:

Tried my wife's laptop bag too, but it's an ugly fit putting a 15" into a 17" bag and it's ill designed for what I want to use it for.

I tried though!

I'm pretty sure Case Logic is out of my price range, I'm looking bargain basement here...I probably should have mentioned that but I figured y'all would know how cheap I am by now. :oops:

EDITED BITS: And what's wrong with pink Dav? REAL MEN wear pink, I'd love a pink lappy bag. No one would ever steal it from me. ;)

I've got two 15" laptop backpacks, one is a PORT and the other a Targus. The construction of both is quite good, although the total capacity nod goes to the Targus. I think the Targus also does a better job of protection.

I'm pretty sure Case Logic is out of my price range, I'm looking bargain basement here...I probably should have mentioned that but I figured y'all would know how cheap I am by now. :oops:

How much did you pay for your laptop? Don't you think it's worth 60 €/$ keeping it secure?

EDITED BITS: And what's wrong with pink Dav? REAL MEN wear pink, I'd love a pink lappy bag. No one would ever steal it from me. ;)

I wouldn't be too sure about that if you are visiting San Francisco. I think that would draw the attention of all the thieves there. Ooooh it'll match my outfit... ;)

Regards,
SB

How much did you pay for your laptop? Don't you think it's worth 60 €/$ keeping it secure?
Uhm; $35 for a new HDD, $24 memory, and $10 for an internal wireless card.

$69us? My sister gave it to me because it was busted and she bought herself a new one.

Yeah, it's a great beater laptop. If anything really bad happens to it I won't lose a ton of sleep, I love that about it. (Which will probably make me miss it more if something bad happens, oh well. :LOL: )

My friend MauiMom dropped off a nice lappy bag for me to try this morning. It's small, but perfectly sized for my 15". It has room for carrying everything related to the lappy neatly and yet still having everything easily accessible, and a bit of room for other things like smokes/tickets/keys.

I'm rethinking my stragety, I think I'm covered now.

Gonna take this dinky lappy bag and keep the backpack rolled up in my carry-on. If I need more room coming home I can stow the laptop bag in my carry-on and use the backpack.

GSAOCN1_cases_b.jpg

It's a nice bag, compact and manageable. :)

I bought this one before the vacation. It's designed to be exactly the maximum size allowed as carry on luggage, and it's comfortable and quite cheap too. Not sure if it's available in the US though, probably not.

That is exactly what I was originally looking for Humus, exactly! :D

Unfortunately a new washer and finally paying off the last of our debts is apparently more important than me being properly styled for geek travel....stooopid priorities :(

Hey, thanks again for the oven trick. I still can't believe I fixed my wife's laptop using it. :LOL:

I use one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Farmers-Double-Carrying-backpack/dp/B00064KML2

A bit pricey but worth every penny. I recently carried two laptops in it on a flight to the US. It can also take my DSLR. The way the straps are attached mean that whilst you are wearing the bag noone get get into it, and it has the advantage of not looking like a laptop bag.

It looks like it may have been discontinued but they will probably be making something similar.

CC

Any information on the longevity of the compound? I've only seen some of the more gushing articles (like the one you posted) that apparently are all written by people never having done the walking on potato-flour (in my neck of the woods) and water trick in science class when they were 12 (nor heard the term Non-Newtonian fluid). It's a neat trick and all, but if the protection degrades then it's of somewhat limited use for consumer applications.

Back