Battlefield 3 announced

They'd rather see us getting new video cards instead I assume:mad:

I have never had much belief in AMD/Nvidia's support for older GPUs, that's why I as often as I can try the new stuff on my bro's HD5770 instead

"The AMD Catalyst - Rage Performance Driver has apparently been updated, though Guru3D notes that they confusingly don't seem to carry a new version number. AMD tweeted about this saying they were originally packed with "very old OGL files," but they now tweet that this has been corrected, and that "If you're playing Rage, you'll see good gains on the 4000 Series as well - link will be updated with that info as well.""

My 39 grenade kills disagree. I've always hated nade-spam - now they're simply useful and not an easy kill button. You can still pop them through first floor windows from the street level, any more than that and they'd be over-powered IMO.

I also like the fact they get stuck in bushes. Stops support squads just sitting unseen lobbing death at everyone. Not cooking them means recipients have a small chance of getting away if they're prone and see it quick enough.

At first I was surprised by the level of nerf-age they recieved, it felt ... new and unusual. Love it now though. I was killed by nade 2x last night by the same guy. That took skill on his part, and I congratulated him for it. I wouldn't have said 'well done' to any nade kills in BF2 or BFBC2, because they wouldn't have deserved it.

My 39 grenade kills disagree. I've always hated nade-spam - now they're simply useful and not an easy kill button. You can still pop them through first floor windows from the street level, any more than that and they'd be over-powered IMO.

I also like the fact they get stuck in bushes. Stops support squads just sitting unseen lobbing death at everyone. Not cooking them means recipients have a small chance of getting away if they're prone and see it quick enough.

At first I was surprised by the level of nerf-age they recieved, it felt ... new and unusual. Love it now though. I was killed by nade 2x last night by the same guy. That took skill on his part, and I congratulated him for it. I wouldn't have said 'well done' to any nade kills in BF2 or BFBC2, because they wouldn't have deserved it.

Yeah, I agree here...

Nade kills now are a combination of skill and stupidity. of course you can still toss a grenade in a cramped corner when you spot an opponent on the minimap, but especially BF2's infantry only stuff was just nade spam.

Also agree on the timing, even when prone, you can still escape from a nade and survive, unless... of course.. someone is blocking your escape.

Yeah, one thing I do get annoyed at in this game is being pushed out of cover by friendlies. I know they need to stop people blocking doorways somehow, but it doesn't seem right that if you're prone you get shoved along. As a fix to blocking it doesn't really work either (at least when it's hot) because it's too slow.

Finally got around to downloading the beta last night, and managed to have a quick go before I headed to bed. I have to say I’m mightily impressed with how it runs on my system. I thought it would be useless playing on my system from some of the reports on the web, but it was very smooth and playable without any obvious stutters or visual artefacts.

The only thing I’m a bit confused over is I though you had to download the latest Catalyst to play it, where as I haven’t changed my drivers for ages and CCC tells me I’m running 9.11

System specs:
Original Conroe C2D E6600 @3.3GHz on an ancient Abit AB9 Pro
6 GB DDRII (2x1GB Dominator + 2x2GB Balstix)
HD4890 GPU@950MHz, VRAM@1050MHz
Win 7 64bit Home Premium

Game settings:
Resolution: 1920x1200@59Hz
Graphics setting: Auto
But shows most settings at ‘High’ with Terrain and the first AA setting set to ‘Low’ with the second AA setting set to ‘Medium’ and AF set to ‘16’.

Finally got around to downloading the beta last night, and managed to have a quick go before I headed to bed. I have to say I’m mightily impressed with how it runs on my system. I thought it would be useless playing on my system from some of the reports on the web, but it was very smooth and playable without any obvious stutters or visual artefacts.

The only thing I’m a bit confused over is I though you had to download the latest Catalyst to play it, where as I haven’t changed my drivers for ages and CCC tells me I’m running 9.11

System specs:
Win 7 64bit Home Premium

Game settings:
But shows most settings at ‘High’ with Terrain and the first AA setting set to ‘Low’ with the second AA setting set to ‘Medium’ and AF set to ‘16’.
Can You make benchmark in Fraps? and post it on googledocs for example? I would be grateful.
Test it please on Auto and on Low. 2-3 minutes would be enough :)
Oh and remember that too change all settings, You need to restart a map.

Regards :)

Can You make benchmark in Fraps? and post it on googledocs for example? I would be grateful.
Test it please on Auto and on Low. 2-3 minutes would be enough :)
Oh and remember that too change all settings, You need to restart a map.

Regards :)

Is the benchmark facility available on the free version? If so I'll try and have a go over the next couple of days.

System specs:
Win 7 64bit Home Premium

Game settings:

I guess all us 48xxer's have terrain default to low. I'd assumed that is the subdivision / unit area of the terrain--but how does that work? Say for example I'm shooting at a guy who appears to me to be lying prone on a big angular polygonal protrusion when he is in fact on a smooth round knoll 3 ft. lower. All I can think is that the collision detection operates at a fixed resolution--probably the lowest. So it might be advantageous to exploit the verisimilitude between the low-res polygon hull and the low-res representation.

Basically I'm trying to stop myself from buying a new graphics card.

I don't care that you can't cook them. I can live with that but when my elite solider has the throwing ability of a 6 year old girl, it's clearly a balance issue.

Using nades to flush out campers is a very good usage of nades. BF3 has the lowest distance a nade can be tossed out of any shooter I have played. All I want is be able to throw it further.

Personally I think the throw distance is fine (not realistic but adequate to the world size). I wouldn't object to increasing the distance a little more but honestly I never registered as an issue. I do miss cooking them though.

One thing I feel is a terrible design decision or oversight is that the first unlocked gadgets/perks are not auto-selected. That's probably why you hardly see anyone revive.

I'd also prefer if we didn't automatically stand up when being revived. :rolleyes:

WRT shoving people, they should use Wolf:ET's system where you had to actively press use to shove someone (although unlike WET it shouldn't be possible to shove someone who is prone). That way it's never an accident and you can start vote-kicking, etc.

How can it be a balance issue if everybody throws them the same distance? Seriously if you could lob nades further this would stop being such a great shooter and start to resemble the first flag at Karkand on a 64 man server.

Loads would go support. Loads would equip frag. It would be lame! Do you really think DICE didn't test this and come to the conclusion that the short distance works? I mean, they are professional game developers with a decade or more of experience, so give them a chance to be right about it. Play some more and see how good it is not to die 50% of the time from a nade.

BTW if you want to throw it further do a running throw. The distance there is fine for me.

/now at 44 nade kills. To put that in to perspective my best weapon by far (double the rest at least) has 440 kills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh! I'd hate to rebind jump though, it's been the spacebar for me since... always. Hopefully this is fixed in the retail.

Back