VidZone announced for PAL territories

patsu

Legend
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/979/979978p1.html

As part of Sony's Pause event in Sydney, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia announced a new service coming exclusively to the PlayStation 3 - Vidzone. The new service is an optional download that places a new icon on the cross-media bar (XMB), allowing access to a massive number of music videos on demand.

VidZone will also be bringing live concert videos, as well as behind the scenes, interviews and making of footage, to your TV when it launches on PS3.

According to Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, the service is aiming for a June launch, possibly to coincide with E3 - though this is subject to change.

The service itself, which is listed under 'music' on the XMB as a small TV set with a 'Z' in it, is free to all PS3 owners who choose to install the application. However, revenue appears to be generated from ad placement within the browser window.

PSP integration:

the service also allows you to set up playlists on your PSP while you're on the go, so they're cued up when you get home to your PS3 console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im curious how extensive the music/content selection will. Also what a 'decent resolution' is considered. Free is free, and can't beat that, but I'm skeptical on longevity for the product until I can see what kind of content is on there.

Just hearing 'most major labels' are currently in talks, scares me. Be nice to see more support for the Indie side.

If you want free-spirited, indie music, keep an eye on Listen@Home :)

They are working through user-submitted music now. Should take a couple of months to clear the legal and production process.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/06/04/e3-interview-vidzone/

VidZone, which will be available free from PlayStation Store on June 11, provides unlimited access to thousands of streaming music videos and the ability to create unlimited playlists, all on your PS3.

“There are over 10,000 videos,” said Jackson “They will be updated every week, and in terms of quantities, those updates will be in the hundreds. Our ultimate dream is to have every music video ever made on the service, as well as classic live performances dating back to the 1950s, in their entirety.”
I know a lot of you want to find out which countries will be able to access VidZone and why certain territories will not be able to at launch, so I also asked for an answer on that.
“Initially, we’re launching VidZone in the UK, Ireland, Australia, Italy, France, Spain and Germany,” said Jackson.

“The reasons we’re only launching in those countries for the time being,” added Russo, “are largely to do with sourcing local advertising that is relevant and appropriate. We can’t wait to roll out in the remaining territories though; we’ll bring you more information when we have it.”

Ah crap ... hopefully they expand to other countries (like mine) soon! :(

And mine :(

In the case they say its not a localization issue, but they need to get advertisers aboard and probably some issues with rights etc.
But the we have to wait for all the languages to be done before we release annoys me, especially since I got the PS3 set to English anyway.

Do you believe that this thing doesn't work with the Blu-Ray remote? I wish Sony would get their act together in terms of the consistency of their interface. What's it going to be like when they release the PSMC? Will I still need to have the DS3 next to me just in case? For someone like my wife that uses the PS3 as a media box, things like this are very annoying.

Really? All other applications that I've tried have worked with the BR remote, after all, it has basically all the digital buttons 1:1 of the SIXAXIS included. Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
But as most games don't recognice the remote either, there's no reason why SOny would not have been able to mess this up ;)
Hopefully a patch is on the way soon, and moreso the VidZone to the rest of the PAL territories too!

Do you believe that this thing doesn't work with the Blu-Ray remote? I wish Sony would get their act together in terms of the consistency of their interface. What's it going to be like when they release the PSMC? Will I still need to have the DS3 next to me just in case? For someone like my wife that uses the PS3 as a media box, things like this are very annoying.

Really? All other applications that I've tried have worked with the BR remote, after all, it has basically all the digital buttons 1:1 of the SIXAXIS included. Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
But as most games don't recognice the remote either, there's no reason why SOny would not have been able to mess this up ;)
Hopefully a patch is on the way soon, and moreso the VidZone to the rest of the PAL territories too!

From my experience, any game that doesn't recognize the remote doesn't because its assigned to controller 7. Changing it to 1 typically remedies that. Not that it's typically of much use in games, but it may be something to try with VidZone. And no, you really shouldn't have to do that with VidZone, but it may be something they've simply overlooked (hey, stranger things have happened).

Yeah... apps like the Photo Gallery and VidZone provide better packaging over XMB's basic playlist and playback support (and useful too !). They are welcomed in my book. :)

Another VidZone update:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/16/vidzone-update/

We’re expanding the catalogue as fast as we can and taking all your suggestions, comments, demands and wonderfully weird requests on board (please don’t send anymore odd requests we have plenty! But keep telling us any playlists or artists you want to see on VidZone – we’re taking down all notes).

Someone told me US folks can access it via a Euro account. They don't do Geo IP filtering.

Not sure about that since I have a UK Euro account but it wouldnt let me use it despite that I am in a EU country myself

Not all EU countries are supported for VidZone

Sh*t, he got it from here: http://www.n4g.com/psp/News-327019.aspx

VidZone checks your location by PlayStation-account and not by IP-address. In the same way European and American gamers can check out Japanse demo's, they should be able to check out VidZone. "When possible, we do not advice to do this. We can not deliver the optimal user experience like we are used to.", added a Benelux representative of Sony Computer Entertainment.

May be Sony blocked the hole ?

EDIT: I was able to download VidZone from PSN, and updated to v1.03. However it blocked me from accessing the service. The application knows that I'm not from Europe. So they should be using Geo IP now, in addition to PSN locale.

Sh*t, he got it from here: http://www.n4g.com/psp/News-327019.aspx

May be Sony blocked the hole ?

EDIT: I was able to download VidZone from PSN, and updated to v1.03. However it blocked me from access the service. The application knows that I'm not from Europe. So they should be using Geo IP now, in addition to PSN locale.

It´s been like that for a while, at least in denmark, maybe they just hadn´t closed all loopholes..

I hope they open it for all of EU

Back