NV36 now as far in production as Rampage

Err, now that Lezmaka mentions that, I'm thinking my source might have done a slight mistake - it's the RAM which would be done on 0.14u, not the chip.
Either that or they've decided to go with 3 fabs, eh... And looking at Google, it seems SMIC, a chinese fab, is the most obvious choice ( heck, everyone knows executives use Google to make important financial choices :LOL: )

Uttar

Uttar said:
Err, now that Lezmaka mentions that, I'm thinking my source might have done a slight mistake - it's the RAM which would be done on 0.14u, not the chip.

Sounds much much much much much more plausible.

Like, a lot.

(Although, who cares what process node the DRAM is fabbed in?) :)

My sources always said me that NV33 was a simpler NV34 which will target the mobile market (not just notebook…). Maybe it'll be an all-in-one part with memory in the packaging (or on the small PCB of the packaging) as it's the case for some notebooks graphic products…

Actually, it won't target the mobile *market*. That is, if it ever comes out. Heck, the plans are very vague, so there's no use for me to go in these customer details since they're all likely to change.

One of the planned design changes is a smaller memory interface ( the NV34, even 64MB, is 128-bit, but with the 64MB version, only half of it is used ) - the other, it seems, is that something is done on 0.14u. As I said, I'd guess that's the RAM.

The goal of the NV33 is to reduce costs. That's all there is to it. And it's unlikely any of you will even have one in your computers, whether notebook or whatever.

So frankly, I say just don't insist on the case, and focus more on the NV36. It's a much more interesting part IMO.

Uttar

keegdsb said:
So basically it'll be like/replacing TNT2M64s. (Which they are still selling :oops: )

Let me resay that...
It won't target the whole mobile market, and not the desktop one at all.
So there's no way it's gonna replace the TNT2 M64s fully.

Uttar

Uttar said:
keegdsb said:
So basically it'll be like/replacing TNT2M64s. (Which they are still selling :oops: )

Let me resay that...

Uttar
Ahhhh, understood.

Uttar said:
keegdsb said:

Let me resay that...

Uttar

What will it target then? The space market?

Or for PDAs. Some pocket PCs already have an ATI part of some sort in them. (latest Toshibas, I believe)

Uttar said:
keegdsb said:

Let me resay that...

Uttar

When I talked about "mobile market (not just notebooks...)", I wanted to talk about mobile parts like ultraportables, Tablets PC, PDAs...

NVIDIA as always stated that its goal is to put a NVIDIA chip behind every screen. Some sources talked me about NV33 as a much more capable competitor for Imageon chips. Something between notebooks chips and Imageon chips. But I've not tried to get some newer info about it for a while so maybe things changed.

Of course if NV33 is something like that, it's a try for nvidia. If they can find some big partners for it, they'll make it. If it's not the case, they won't. Or they'll make it be what partners want.

AFAIK NV33 is an NV34 with a cut down memory bus. If this is the case such a part would never be a competitor to Imageon since the power consumption would be horrific considering the market Imageon is operating in!!!

DaveBaumann said:
AFAIK NV33 is an NV34 with a cut down memory bus. If this is the case such a part would never be a competitor to Imageon since the power consumption would be horrific considering the market Imageon is operating in!!!

Yes of course.

AFAIK, NV33 is not just a NV34 with a smaller memory bus. It would be nonsense, don't you think ? Cutting down the memory controller won't help NVIDIA save costs. I've been told pipelines were cut down too ;) But of course this could have change or just be wrong.

Back