MAG

Well I missed the double XP weekend. Played a tons of FFXIII because son wanted to see it.

I agree that with more experienced players on board, the map differences are less impactful. The game is about counter movement anyway. Once we know what the enemies are up to, people will execute their counter moves.

But when we were all noobs, oh god, I could visualize bits and pieces of myself shredded to minced meat by the turrets.

I don't know if it's me... but I feel that people move faster now. It's harder to snipe folks while they are running.

I don`t know, I couldn`t play for some time as well - so much work. But I couldn`t stand sniping anymore. I wanted to get my 1000 kill medal with the SRs but I gave up with 350 left and switched back to MGs to get back into the action.

I don't know if it's me... but I feel that people move faster now. It's harder to snipe folks while they are running.

Now that you mention it, I was having trouble following my targets looking down the sights at close range. I had to increase the sensitivity to keep up again. Although faster movement is one of the additional abilities that comes from staying near one of the leaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were one, two soldier(s) dashing for Raven Objective B main building (from the small building). I was pretty far away (proning beside the road outside Objective C).

That seems to be a popular spot for snipers. I had fun kniving people there today.

Playing with the clan is awesome. Made 1st place MVP 3 times in a row yesterday, and did the same thing again today. This game was made to be played like this. Everyone has mics, calls out enemy positions, and suggests good tactics.

That seems to be a popular spot for snipers. I had fun kniving people there today.

Yes ! ^_^ Because you have full view of the courtyard, the enemy's staging area in the small building, and the staircase leading up to the objective's top deck.

I got knifed many times there, but it's worth it. If the enemy comes up often, I'll booby trap the area, or position behind that spot to snipe them.

These days I move around after killing a few people.

I hit level 30 last night and have been toying with specs. Tried the assault rifle and grenade launcher - that was a huge disappointment! Aiming with the grenades is night impossible without loads of practive to gauge range, of which there's no opportunity outside of battle. Even up-close-and-personal it was hard to kill an enemy. And the clip runs out far too readily; I wasn't able to take the rifle into a base and defend against several enemies. The silencer offered the option of going behnd enemy lines but lack of accuracy meant I couldn't actually do anything when there! The LMG is far better as a direct combat weapon.

I also tried out sniping. The tier 3 rifle was a real disappointment. One-shot kills seemed quite hard to come by, maybe only 50% of hits. And sniping in general is limited due to terrain. There are so many friggin' trees! Storming Raven's Objective C in Sabotage, I was excited at the opportunity to snipe from the pyramid at the drop-off position, yet I don't think I got any kills. Couldn't find a clear view, save for the very left side where Raven's would run in and out of the building. That's in stark contrast to the Valor map where snipers on the church can cover the end base unimpinged. And even prone with a bipod, the recoil throws the rifle up into the air so you can't follow up. The tier-1 sniper proved much more effective! It's stable allowing for multiple shots, and with the silencer I was able to take down outlying enemy without them knowing where I was, even when I was right next to them!

So far I'm seeing a combination of Tier 1 LMG and Sniper rifle as giving plenty of options.

I hit level 30 last night and have been toying with specs. Tried the assault rifle and grenade launcher - that was a huge disappointment! Aiming with the grenades is night impossible without loads of practive to gauge range, of which there's no opportunity outside of battle.

Should be able to aim better with 3DTV. ^_^

I also tried out sniping. The tier 3 rifle was a real disappointment. One-shot kills seemed quite hard to come by, maybe only 50% of hits. And sniping in general is limited due to terrain. There are so many friggin' trees! Storming Raven's Objective C in Sabotage, I was excited at the opportunity to snipe from the pyramid at the drop-off position, yet I don't think I got any kills. Couldn't find a clear view, save for the very left side where Raven's would run in and out of the building. That's in stark contrast to the Valor map where snipers on the church can cover the end base unimpinged. And even prone with a bipod, the recoil throws the rifle up into the air so you can't follow up. The tier-1 sniper proved much more effective! It's stable allowing for multiple shots, and with the silencer I was able to take down outlying enemy without them knowing where I was, even when I was right next to them!

Nah... you need the variable power scope to go with the Tier 3 rifle. Then you'll see the big difference.

You'll need to scout the terrain to find a good sniping spot. There are a few good places for A and B. I agree it's hard to use a sniper rifle in Raven Obj C. That's why I usually switch to MG there. If I carry a sniper rifle, I'd clear the pyramid where you're at. :D

In the Valor Sabo map, there are the church tower, one of the rooftops to the right of Objective B (looking from Valor base), the Objective B tower, the slope outside Objective A (from Valor base), the tallest balcony above Valor Objective C (Yes, you can snipe people in A and B from there), and more !

The Objective C balcony is interesting because it is the highest point in the entire game. There is a great sniping location behind a rock in the Raven Objective A spawn point. It is risky to target that location because the Raven sniper is well hidden. He can usually shoot faster than the Valor snipers. However if you target him from Objective C, it'd be too far and dark for him to see. But you should have a clear shot at him.

Nah... you need the variable power scope to go with the Tier 3 rifle. Then you'll see the big difference.
I had it. I had the full monty of Sniper options. I as in the church looking down on Ravens, shot and hit and failed to kill soldier after soldier. Attacking Raven A, there were very few opportunities I found to cover the base, and the best chance to get kills was to get behind enemy lines where it opens up. Thinking about it, with the 10x scope I guess one could shoot the Raven's from the top of their own base.

Is the silencer perhaps reducing the damage of my Tier 3 rifle, accounting for the lack of one-shot kills? It didn't affect the weapon graph to show as much.

Hmm, checking the weapon damage reference guide, it's only a one-shot kill on Light and Reinforced Mesh without extra health. So basically you need headshots, and the point to the Rollings is 10x zoom + headshot.

In the Valor Sabo map, there are the church tower, one of the rooftops to the right of Objective B (looking from Valor base), the Objective B tower, the slope outside Objective A (from Valor base), the tallest balcony above Valor Objective C (Yes, you can snipe people in A and B from there), and more !
Yes, I did a good bout of murdering defending Valor. That's a much more open map. As an attacking sniper against Raven and SVER, I didn't had much luck. The sniper points in SVER are close enough to objectives (at least trying to take A and B which Valor are so poop at) that I think a bipodded-LMG is as good if not better (unless you're a killer aim and can get headshots every time with the sniper!). That said, the silenced sniper will afford more secret death-dealing, whereas the LMG gives your position away every time and Death soon follows any action.

BTW - does anyone know how those with low kill rates score massive points? I've seen a sniper with like 13 kills, 7 deaths, scoring in excess of 700 points, which would be an insane amount of healing.

I had it. I had the full monty of Sniper options. I as in the church looking down on Ravens, shot and hit and failed to kill soldier after soldier. Attacking Raven A, there were very few opportunities I found to cover the base, and the best chance to get kills was to get behind enemy lines where it opens up. Thinking about it, with the 10x scope I guess one could shoot the Raven's from the top of their own base.

The Objective A top deck is not a good sniping spot. You can't see nearby enemies. But someone near Raven Objective C has a clear shot at you, especially with the power scope. It's my favorite hunting ground because a lot of attackers go up there to stage an attack.

Should try areas outside the bases.

Is the silencer perhaps reducing the damage of my Tier 3 rifle, accounting for the lack of one-shot kills? It didn't affect the weapon graph to show as much.

I don't have a silencer. It is said that it reduces accuracy.

Hmm, checking the weapon damage reference guide, it's only a one-shot kill on Light and Reinforced Mesh without extra health. So basically you need headshots, and the point to the Rollings is 10x zoom + headshot.

Yes, headshot (or near headshot) is best. Use the bipod stand to help you.

BTW - does anyone know how those with low kill rates score massive points? I've seen a sniper with like 13 kills, 7 deaths, scoring in excess of 700 points, which would be an insane amount of healing.

He may be playing with a MG loadout.

Should try areas outside the bases.
I did, but couldn't find anything. And too far in, you are easy pickings. The solution is to keep moving, which of course means you're not in a position to take anyone out!

I don't have a silencer. It is said that it reduces accuracy.
To a negligable degree. It certainly wasn't causing me to miss.

Yes, headshot (or near headshot) is best. Use the bipod stand to help you.
Does using the bipod cause enemies to stand still? :p

He may be playing with a MG loadout.
Regardless of loadout, how does anyone get 700 XP with only 13 kills?! Let's say 500 XP from rezzing, I suppose that's 25 objective resuscitations. Is that all there is to it?

So how easy should it be for me to get my dad to convert from MW2 to this? I have no desire to play MW2 (on either platform) but have been oddly drawn to this game.

I did, but couldn't find anything. And too far in, you are easy pickings. The solution is to keep moving, which of course means you're not in a position to take anyone out!

In Objective B, there are spots near the beach area that annoy us to no ends sometimes. It requires your buddies to hold the area though. Sometimes, Ravens charge down there to clean up. :)

Sometimes I see people hiding and shooting from our Objective C. They tend to move around (kill Raven sniper, take a few shots, move on).

To a negligable degree. It certainly wasn't causing me to miss.

Does using the bipod cause enemies to stand still? :p

Ha ha, it's very stable so headshot is easier.

Regardless of loadout, how does anyone get 700 XP with only 13 kills?! Let's say 500 XP from rezzing, I suppose that's 25 objective resuscitations. Is that all there is to it?

A MG guy would be near the action and objectives. Then heal as many people as you can. :)
Throw chemical grenades to gain assist kills.

EDIT:
So how easy should it be for me to get my dad to convert from MW2 to this? I have no desire to play MW2 (on either platform) but have been oddly drawn to this game.

Ask him what he thinks about the campers. I have heard other players said they were switching to MAG because they hated the campers.

Ask him what he thinks about the campers. I have heard other players said they were switching to MAG because they hated the campers.

:cry: I have seen my dad play MW2, he camps as well (up until he went on a knifing rampage). Although I don't think he is that bad of a camper, I take it MAG kinda makes that tactic harder?

I plan on picking it up tonight :cool:

Well, I move between a few locations to take shots. If you stay too long, it's certain death. The maps are very "leaky". There are usually multiple ways to get to one location.

That's probably the advanced healing skill working it's magic. If your defending together with 3 or more players and they are all injured and standing close enough together, 1 shot from the medical kit will heal all of them. Depending on how much you heal, you can watch the XP counter go 9XP, 5XP, 4XP, 2XP, until everyones health is restored. And standing close enough to the objectives will give you twice that. Valor Sabotage at C is perfect for this. With both full platoons fighting it out there are constantly people needing to be healed. My favourite spot for this is the stairs leading up to the control room at C. If the attackers have the room with the resupply point there will be constant fighting going on in the the hallway where you can walk directly from the leftside entrance to the rightside entrance. Standing on the stairs, on the leftside of it, you can heal anyone inside the hallway. And you'll have the perfect viewpoint on the stairs leading up from the resupply point. Most attackers will stop at the top of the stairs to look at where the defenders are, giving you the perfect angle to shoot them. You can kill, heal, revive, be in a relatively safe spot, and get the Frago bonus on it all.

I use the assault rifles mostly, and they do run out of ammo quickly. But there is a little trick to deal with that. Pick up a gun from someone you've just shot, those will always have full ammo. But if you prefer your old gun, pick it back up immediately. It will also have full ammo again. This isn't even a bug, Zipper said it's working as intended.

Aha! So there are sneaky tricks! Is that the heal players to full health skill that allows group healing then? I can see how that and gas grenades could get loads of points around a FRAGO.

I just checked. The skill you need to buy is "Improved Healing". It basically just heals faster than regular healing. I think group healing was always possible. Because you can heal people faster with it then they can heal themselves, you just end up with more points.

Aha! So there are sneaky tricks! Is that the heal players to full health skill that allows group healing then? I can see how that and gas grenades could get loads of points around a FRAGO.

Yes, it seems that both the attackers and defenders love the Valor Sabo map.

It's XP galore ! \^o^/

Back