Black Holes can kill us

If a nearby (within a hundred lightyears or so) star was to go nova (or more likely: has already done that long ago), all life on Earth will be annihilated within days of the radiation reaching us. And if a star goes supernova, hope it's more than a few thousand lightyears away, or that the radiation won't reach us any time soon.

There are many stars, and they inevitably go Boom at some time. Although only the bigger ones are a serious threat.

Last edited by a moderator:
umm, from where does all this protons come from.
Nothing can escape blackholes - until its suffering from fatal flatulence ?

Edit: ok, so I misread and its spitting out Photons, which dont have mass according to Wikipedia. Cunning things those black holes

umm, from where does all this protons come from.
Nothing can escape blackholes - until its suffering from fatal flatulence ?

Edit: ok, so I misread and its spitting out Photons, which dont have mass according to Wikipedia. Cunning things those black holes

The black hole is not emitting anything that makes up the jets.

Matter that spirals towards the black hole is accellerated to extremely high velocities and a small portion of matter is flung out prior to reaching the event horizon. The components of the jets never actually crossed the point of no return, they just got dangerously close.

edit:

One theory is that the powerful magnetic fields created by this disk of matter or the black hole's own field are deformed by the rotation. The field lines provide a path for escaping matter.

What about Hawking radiation? I thought black holes emit sub atomic particles and can eventually evaporate.

Back