Did Metal Gear Solid really push the PS1 to it limit?

Quake 2
Resident Evil 2
Omega Boost
Ridge Racer
Ace Combat3 Electrosphere
Dino Crisis 1
Soul Reaver
Gex (3d)
Destruction Derby2
Gran Turismo 2
MGS1
Vagrant Story
Tekken3
Soul Blade
Tobal 2
Crash Bandicoot 1,2,3
Rapid Race
Final Fantasy 7.8.9
Burning Road (That looked AWESOME)
Crash Team Racing

are some of the games I can remember now that did awesome things

Yeah, some awesome stuff. I also really loved Micro Machines v3. Micro Maniacs wasn't bad either, technically, but slightly less fun to play (though easier and the bee level was awesome)

Fear Effect

Amazing particle effects.. :devilish:

117627_full.jpg

I wish they had made a Fear Effect for PS2.

I loved both FE and FE: RH immensly though I didn't really get their stories at that time. There was a FE game rumoured to be in development for PS2...

Another game that impressed me on PS1 was Moto Racer: World Tour. They had nailed the handling, animation and sense of speed back in those days...its "first person" camera mode was superb. Even Moto GP games on PS2 didn't impress me that much.

Fox5 said:
Granted, the 1st link didn't work for me, but the 2nd link looked pretty standard psx fair.
Frankly the game is so damn rare it's impossible to find any really good shots. But the point is that regardless, standard PSX fair was 3-5 of such characters, not 30.

However, I doubt its story was as hard to follow as Xenogears', and I bet it wouldn't start arguments I can barely understand the reasons behind like xenogears.
Not hard to follow - but the game concept was too bizarre to ever make it out of niche even if did get published better. Story was centered around life of really hardcore gamers - with comedy spin. The problem being that most of the humour could only be understood by those who are in the mentioned group themselves, and even then there was apparently inside jokes not everyone could get.
Imagine a game where story heavily borrows from inside jokes that occur in Beyond3d, and how that would work with your average consumer.

Ek, that game doesn't look very good at all. Granted, the 1st link didn't work for me, but the 2nd link looked pretty standard psx fair. Xenogears quality or a bit better perhaps. However, I doubt its story was as hard to follow as Xenogears', and I bet it wouldn't start arguments I can barely understand the reasons behind like xenogears.
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/games/2000/xenogears.html

I'd replay XenoGears... Its' story is as hard to follow as FF3SNES'.

It'd be the best game ever if the second disc hadn't been rushed... Even so, it's still one of the all time greats.

Depends on who you ask. I honestly don't think it was too bad, so either if it was intentionally done that way or because of budget/time constraints I can appreciate it. The defining moments of the game happen during that second disc, and it's those defining moments that really set the game apart with it's awesome story. While I shouldn't take a game way too seriously, Xenogears does represent some higher thought process and story telling in gaming and it's in my honest opinion the best story in any game ever made. The themes present in it really challenged me to think on my own terms of what/who "God" really is, and I'm not necessarily saying Xenogears is right, but it did presented the questions we all want to really discuss and sit upon within this incredibly awesome story it presented. Oh man, I love Xenogears and how can you not forget Krelian's ownage of the Gazel Ministry?

Depends on who you ask. I honestly don't think it was too bad, so either if it was intentionally done that way or because of budget/time constraints I can appreciate it. The defining moments of the game happen during that second disc, and it's those defining moments that really set the game apart with it's awesome story. While I shouldn't take a game way too seriously, Xenogears does represent some higher thought process and story telling in gaming and it's in my honest opinion the best story in any game ever made. The themes present in it really challenged me to think on my own terms of what/who "God" really is, and I'm not necessarily saying Xenogears is right, but it did presented the questions we all want to really discuss and sit upon within this incredibly awesome story it presented. Oh man, I love Xenogears and how can you not forget Krelian's ownage of the Gazel Ministry?

It wasn't intentional at all. The producers of the game have gone so far as to state that XenoGears did not turn out the way they wanted. Given how much of the second disc's story is told via exposition, and the fact that both Maria and Emerelda were both supposed ot have omni-gears, a whole lot of other cuts(Search for Xenogears Perfect Works), I'd say that the game could have been much better than the already wonderful final product.

It wasn't intentional at all. The producers of the game have gone so far as to state that XenoGears did not turn out the way they wanted. Given how much of the second disc's story is told via exposition, and the fact that both Maria and Emerelda were both supposed ot have omni-gears, a whole lot of other cuts(Search for Xenogears Perfect Works), I'd say that the game could have been much better than the already wonderful final product.
I've always wanted the Perfect Works, it's rather unfortunate that it was never translated to American shores. Supposedly a friend of a friend of mine actually has it though. And I know that an Animus was never aligned with Emeralda's gear, but I would go as far as to say that it was already an Omni-gear, same with Maria's. Both are positively badass, however the most badass looking gear in the game IMHO was the Wyvern. I really like the game instruction cover since it has the Wyvern in such a natural wonderful setting. It's those kinds of ideas, that bring about some kind of beautiful contrast as well as harmony to the game. The idea of a world created in some disaster and scheme of things, and much of it isn't even natural, being fake and synthetic (like the Wyvern) but take into a beautiful vista or natural place of peace and oneness, is really just a satisfying idea. I don't know what it was but remember when you beat the game, and watch through the credits to see that golden feather over the land of Kadonomy? That moment was great.

I've always wanted the Perfect Works, it's rather unfortunate that it was never translated to American shores. Supposedly a friend of a friend of mine actually has it though. And I know that an Animus was never aligned with Emeralda's gear, but I would go as far as to say that it was already an Omni-gear, same with Maria's. Both are positively badass, however the most badass looking gear in the game IMHO was the Wyvern. I really like the game instruction cover since it has the Wyvern in such a natural wonderful setting. It's those kinds of ideas, that bring about some kind of beautiful contrast as well as harmony to the game. The idea of a world created in some disaster and scheme of things, and much of it isn't even natural, being fake and synthetic (like the Wyvern) but take into a beautiful vista or natural place of peace and oneness, is really just a satisfying idea. I don't know what it was but remember when you beat the game, and watch through the credits to see that golden feather over the land of Kadonomy? That moment was great.

There's a translation of all of the text at gamefaqs, if you're curious.

It's been so long since i beat the game I don't remember that moment. :(

Soul Blade on the Ps1 looked pretty damn awesome. Definately one of the best looking ever on the system.

Also don't forget about MK4 on the ps1. Most were suprised it looked so close to the arcade.

G-Police was pretty awesome as well for its time. Glad someone mentioned Quake II, as to pull off smooth 4 player split screen was pretty awesome.

Back