Rockband thread.

Gh3 guitar has been supported in RB out of the box...
And the GH2 controller is supported out of the box. Thank god because I hate the RB guitar with a passion. I use my GH2 and GH3 guitars with the game. I am still loving this game it so fun with 2-4 people. There is plenty of downloadable content that I like. Thank god for MS iron fisted controll of it accessories I am convinced that is the reason the guitars work with the 360 and not the PS3. Sony has a much more open standard allowing activision to cock block harmonix.

Yep I'm aware of the political and financial issues that would be involved, it's just very annoying that everything uses USB now but nothing is interchangeable between systems. I'm well aware that my expectations are unrealistic yes.

I see however that they have released the PS3 wireless guitars separately, thought it was end of April. At least I can buy the extra guitar now. ugh that would make 4 Guitars at home.

Considering the ridiculous price in europe, my only question is whether the US game is "zone free" and works on european consoles. It's a shame to see that importing this game manually could end up being vastly cheaper than buying it in my city.
I shudder to think about how much it would have cost with a more reasonable dollar/euro change.

The PS3 version is region-free; The 360 version is not. Shipping won't be cheap though.

Speaking of broken instruments. I had 2 friends do the ol report the guitar as broken, they were shipped a new one, and never returned the old one. They got charged for not returning the broken one, thus having 2 guitars for the PS3 version.

I could never bring myself to do it, and have been patiently waiting.

With that said thank goodness they are available now! Mine will be arriving next Monday. Can't wait to play with 4 people. I am anxiously awaiting the full album downloads as well.

On that note, PS store needs to get updated NOW! :)

And good luck getting support for your instruments when they break. It complicates the process for getting DLC, too.

We found this out the hard way.
CEO got rockband for the office on the way back from GDC. Guitar was broken within a few hours and the drums gave out completely a week or two ago (they'd been unreliable all along).

Was fun while it lasted, but damn if those drums aren't loud.

Won't both those problems be sorted out once Rock Band launches in Europe?

If you import, the firm in charge of servicing warranties in your country is not likely to honor the warranty for the imported item. You'd have to pay to ship it back to it's country of origin and that's assuming the warranty center you send it to would be willing to ship it back overseas. At that point you probably would not be so far ahead having paid for international shipping 3 times!

For the Euro gamers looking to elevate their blood pressure :p

from product development manager Greg LoPiccolo
"We are strongly motivated to keep the price as low as possible. That said, we don't propose to lose money on it. The fact of the matter is, the costs of releasing in Europe are far higher than in the US, in some ways uniquely so for Rock Band compared to other game titles, because of the size of the peripherals."

According to LoPiccolo it doesn't make sense to compare the manufacturer-recommended US and UK prices for Rock Band. He wheeled out the old VAT line, stating, "That’s not the whole discrepancy, but it’s a big chunk of it." LoPiccolo also observed that European retailers are free to cut the price of games, unlike their US counterparts. "So a reasonable price comparison is what you actually pay, not just the SRP, which means two different things in the two territories.

"We’re not gouging you, primarily because doing so doesn’t serve our interests," LoPiccolo continued. "We can only build our franchise if you buy our games. You may conclude that Rock Band isn’t worth the price charged, and that is your prerogative. But it’s not magically going to get cheaper because you wish it to be so.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131461

You know, honestly, I personally could still justify the purchase with the high price. If you are a solo gamer mostly, not so much. But if you have a wife/kids/friends over frequently it is a NO BRAINER.

In the 3 months Rock Band has been in my household, its easily clocked in at >100 hours already.

At this point we had to pay the $169 for rockband, $25 for an 8 port USB hub (PS3 version lacks this while 360 includes), $59.99 for extra guitar, and >$75 in DLC. All without tax.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Bummer that the PS3, PS2 and Wii version delayed 3 months, but you will still be getting it nonetheless and there will be that much more DLC ready for you when you get it.

On a side note, this weeks DLC is:

"Call Me" by Blondie (master)

"Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (master)

"Message in Bottle" by the Police (master)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guitar Hero 3 costs $96.99 (61.32 EURO) in the US and 94,45 euro (149,38 dollar) in Germany (I actually bought it for 85 euro two weeks ago). That's less than 25% more, if you take the tax out of the equation. As for the box size, you can fit something like 4-5 guitar hero boxes in the space of one rock band box.

Guitar Hero 3 box: Package Dimensions: 28.1 x 11.8 x 2.7 inches, 4.8 pounds
Rock Band box: Package Dimensions: 29.6 x 15.2 x 11.4 inches, 19.4 pounds

Now I refuse to believe the shipping cost would mean having to pay nearly double. It's not as if they have to send individual packages with a plane, they can fill entire shipping crates.

GH3 suggested retail is actually $99.99 I believe in the US. You can get it for $85 (360 version) at amazon.

Could the some of the extra charges for rockband be due to localization? I'm not sure what tracks the game ships with in Europe vs NA.

Europe shouldn't expect price parity with the US due to various laws in europe and VAT, but it does seem that rock band is quite the rip off.

First Album announced. Will go live next week:

Today, Harmonix has officially announced the first album that will hit the Rock Band store: Judas Priest's Screaming For Vengeance. Arriving April 22/24 on Xbox 360/PS3, this10-track album will cost $14.99 with individual tracks being offered for $1.99 apiece. Then in May, The Cars' self-titled record will become the second full-album release from Rock Band. The Pixies' Doolittle will follow in June.

I'm pretty satisfied with that pricing. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the choice of album. Judas Priest??? Seriously!!

Psyched about some Cars and Pixies though. Both of those were great albums. More to read here:

http://kotaku.com/381271/rock-bands-first-album-announced-our-harmonix-qa

I'm guessing you can't share the audio tracks with an MP3 player, so you'd have to buy the same music twice for listening and gaming?

Back