On Heroic, I beat Halo 3 in [blank] hours

I beat Halo 3 in [blank] hours on Heroic difficulty:

• Total voters
Is Heroic the easiest setting? If the duration of this game is to be considered versus other games, normally times are given in easy mode AFAIK, as more run-through times rather than times to play and complete. Perhaps concurrent polls of other titles would be useful, like GeOW and HS?

If it's the same as the previous 2, it goes Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary. I suppose the reason you'd want to know what time it takes is because Heroic is doable on your own as long as you're competent at playing shooters. Legendary is too much for all but the best, so going on easy wouldn't really be playing the game because it should be the time taken to play the game as it's intended, that is, not playing in a mode intended for beginners

I seriously regretted choosing Heroic for the first few levels. It was kicking my butt. "The way Halo was meant to be played my ass!" I thought. :D But I'm enjoying it more now. It does prevent it from being a run and gunner shooter. And it makes those (rare) moments when you come in and completely decimate ever so sweet. I'm glad there's some meet to the single player campaign, since that's pretty much the only reason I bought it.

My Stats

Just over 12 hours according to my campaign stats for solo heroic. Probably add another hour or so maybe for cutscenes for the full game playthrough length (unless you're one of those heathens who skips all the story exposition...)

And you can also see from my stats that it took me and some friends just over 6 hours for 4p coop legendary with a bunch of skulls activated (and with some time wasted picking up skulls, as i hadn't got any of them yet when we started).

Yep I finished it yeasterday. By counting the level times from the Bungie site I concur that I finished the game in 7 hours and 10 minutes. If I'd count the level times from the theater, it would probably be around 9 hours. The second to last level didn't went through on a first try for sure :LOL: and looking at the bungie stats it shows that was the shortest level, when in reality it took maybe the most time. There were some other toughspots also, like the one with
two Scarabs

http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerCampaignStatsHalo3.aspx?player=Kapitalisti

Last edited by a moderator:
About 7 hours on co-op, and that's running through some parts near the end instead of killing everything. I did get halfway through on single player, and it felt like it was going to be closer to 9-10 hours due to the absence of magical respawning, plus I would have to kill all the flood just to be sure.

Umm I dont get it..if I add up all my saved film times, it comes to 18 and a half hours or so. And Sierra 117 has already dropped off the list.so add another 1-3 hours for that, probably, I dont remember exactly. So one would think overall it took me 20+ hours.

Yet this:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerCampaignStatsHalo3.aspx?player=Shark974

Shows like 6 hours, granted the last level is not up yet.

Which is accurate? Do I suck or am I badass?

I know one night I played probably like 7 hours..overall I really am not sure, but I guess closer to 20 than 6?

I noticed a lot of you played some levels in co-op though, in my defense I did not play any co-op.

Is Heroic the easiest setting? If the duration of this game is to be considered versus other games, normally times are given in easy mode AFAIK, as more run-through times rather than times to play and complete. Perhaps concurrent polls of other titles would be useful, like GeOW and HS?

Ive never heard of any reviewer, developer or publisher talking about how fast you can finish a game on easy mode.

You can finish fallout 1 & 2 in about 30 minutes each, however if you play as indended it will take you 200hours.

Umm I dont get it..if I add up all my saved film times, it comes to 18 and a half hours or so. And Sierra 117 has already dropped off the list.so add another 1-3 hours for that, probably, I dont remember exactly. So one would think overall it took me 20+ hours.

Yet this:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerCampaignStatsHalo3.aspx?player=Shark974

Shows like 6 hours, granted the last level is not up yet.

Which is accurate? Do I suck or am I badass?

Bungie site only calculates efficient play time. In essence if you start a level and play 5 minutes and die without any checkpoints, it doesnt' get counted. The theater mode records all the retries. This method is nothing special however. For example if you die in God of War you go back to the previous save point and no time between lives is added to the game time.

Perfect example is the Cortana level. It probably took me the most amount of real time to play through, yet Bungie site and the actual efficient time was the shortest as I basically ran through it with my ass on fire...However I died many times, but only the succesful checkpoints gets counted, I talked about this a bit in my previous post also.

edit: So basically the Bungie site measures how long it took for you to finish the game without dying.

Bungie site only calculates efficient play time. In essence if you start a level and play 5 minutes and die without any checkpoints, it doesnt' get counted. The theater mode records all the retries. This method is nothing special however. For example if you die in God of War you go back to the previous save point and no time between lives is added to the game time.

Perfect example is the Cortana level. It probably took me the most amount of real time to play through, yet Bungie site and the actual efficient time was the shortest as I basically ran through it with my ass on fire...However I died many times, but only the succesful checkpoints gets counted, I talked about this a bit in my previous post also.

edit: So basically the Bungie site measures how long it took for you to finish the game without dying.

Okay, interesting. Perhaps a bit pointless on bungie's part as well.

But in essence, it took me 19-21 hours to do the game.

But no co-op in that, and I did get nasty stuck a couple times.

I played it solo aswell. I just counted all the times from the theater and I got 11h 20 min (which includes the whole campaign) vs 7h 10 min from the bungie site. So 4h and 10 minutes playtime that led to me laying on the ground.

The efficient playtime method is not in my opinion a very good way to measure the lenght of a game like Halo or other games where you die so much and respawn so quickly, but it is widely used metric. The efficient times are probably quite close between different people, but the actual playtime varies greatly as can be seen with me and Rangers.

edit: I made some comparisons between the theater and the Bungie site and it seems I wasted lot's of time in the The Ark, The Covenant and The Cortana levels and some amount of time in the first level, but on the other levels I did surprisingly well. For example the Tsavo Highway level the theater recorded 1H 4 min 47 seconds and the Bungie site says 1h 3min and 47 seconds, so I lost only a minute there. Which is imo pretty good. I played it safe though.

Okay, interesting. Perhaps a bit pointless on bungie's part as well.

But in essence, it took me 19-21 hours to do the game.

But no co-op in that, and I did get nasty stuck a couple times.

Hahahaha, good to know. When I hear people finishing this game in 8 hours, I just thinking to myself...man, I must really suck at this game.

I still haven't finished game, but I guess I tend to wander around a bit...so I'm barring myself from the poll, since I will definitely skew the outcome.

took me 12 hrs on legendary and i replayed it on normal to get some of the acheivements like skulls terminal and points and it took less then 6 hrs on normal so it really verys depending on dfficulty. like in normal you can just run through some parts

Yeah, after playing through it on Legendary, it feels like you have God Mode enabled if you go back and play on Normal. Legendary really forces you to make good decisions and not miss.

My times don't match what you're saying here - my saved films and bungie.net stats add up to exactly the same time (and i did more than my fair share of dieing - 73 times on the first level alone...)

Back