Halo 3 IQ discussion * - Stay civil and polite folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to do some tweaking on my Pio 5070 last night. After about 20mins of trail and error I was able to adjust the TV to eliminate most of the AA issues. Now I connected the 360 to my Dell 2405 and the jaggies are obviously there. However, since I play on my plasma, I'm quite happy with it.

AA is the only thing I notice between the pictures uploaded vs in game and even that is reduced now dramatically.
The massive oversampling used in the "sreenshots" does a lot more than just provide AA though. It pushes back the mipmap transitions and allows for a lot more fine detail to come though in the final image. The result is an overall improvement in clarity similar to difference well produced HD movie to that of a standard DVD, where things that are blurry in the lower resolution version.

It would be nice if someone with some HD capture hardware could grab actual paused frames from the game to compare to high resolution "screenshots" taken of the same frames. But for now here are couple shots of Quake Wars and resampled them to 720p for easy comparision. First this one is rendered using Halo's 1152x640 with no AA and standard bilinear filtering. Now, my PC can't run games at anywhere near the resolution used for Halo 3's screenshots, but even just moving up to to my videocard's max 16:9 resolution of 2560x1440 makes for a vast improvement in clarity. And again, the difference seen there is only a fraction of that which exists between Halo 3's screenshots and what the game actually runs at.

haha at the people that are blurring up their TV. Although I would suggest lowering the stock sharpness setting(and lowering to the lowest setting or disabling altogether any extra edge enhancement settings your tv may have) it's not a good idea to lower sharpness too much.

If that is directed at me, I went from 0 to -1, :rolleyes:

The massive oversampling used in the "sreenshots" does a lot more than just provide AA though. It pushes back the mipmap transitions and allows for a lot more fine detail to come though in the final image. The result is an overall improvement in clarity similar to difference well produced HD movie to that of a standard DVD, where things that are blurry in the lower resolution version.

It would be nice if someone with some HD capture hardware could grab actual paused frames from the game to compare to high resolution "screenshots" taken of the same frames. But for now here are couple shots of Quake Wars and resampled them to 720p for easy comparision. First this one is rendered using Halo's 1152x640 with no AA and standard bilinear filtering. Now, my PC can't run games at anywhere near the resolution used for Halo 3's screenshots, but even just moving up to to my videocard's max 16:9 resolution of 2560x1440 makes for a vast improvement in clarity. And again, the difference seen there is only a fraction of that which exists between Halo 3's screenshots and what the game actually runs at.

If you take the SSAA effect out of the equation I actually wouldn't classify that as a vast improvement. Clearly noticeable, yes. Important aspects lof the game graphics ike the textures, shaders and lighting still come through on the upscaled image, though. Broadly, we are still looking at the same game.

Again, the AA effect is exempted from the above. The game doesn't look anywhere near that clean.

Humm, am I to take it that you don't notice much of a difference between HD format movies and standard DVDs either? From what I've seen, most people consider such differences quite striking.

Humm, am I to take it that you don't notice much of a difference between HD format movies and standard DVDs either? From what I've seen, most people consider such differences quite striking.

That entirely depends on the encode. There's many HD encoded movies that look no better than an upscaled DVD.

Well sure, but encodeing certianly isn't an issue in the case of the massively oversampled "screenshots" provided by Halo 3.

Well sure, but encodeing certianly isn't an issue in the case of the massively oversampled "screenshots" provided by Halo 3.

I have no idea what you are talking about now.

Here's what we know.

1. Halo 3 is rendered at 640p
2. Halo 3 'screenshots' are taken from a much high resolution and downsampled to 720p
3. you seem to want to turn it into a subjective argument which no one is ever going to win.

In HD DVD/BR, the source is 1080P. Here the source is 1152x640 (something like that). The better analogy would be DVD's vs upscaled DVD's. However, it'd be more like upscaled DVD's then being scaled back down.

I also don't understand why you're going out of your way to defend Bungie on the screenshot issue.

Back up.

Did I defend them? If so, show me where. I am challenging the assumption of another poster's rant which he has deposited as fact. That Bungie intentionally leaked 720p no-MSAA screenshots (mixed in with other screenshot resolutions with variable anti-aliasing methods) to headfake a couple posters on the interweb to be a fairly weak hypothesis.

No go ahead, you and Dave, prove me wrong. So far Dave has absolutely concluded Bungie did exactly this.

I don't consider a call for facts to be defending anyone.

As for defending Bungie, I actually have lamented the AA and AF issues. Specifically AF--I think it is ridiculous that so few games take texture filtering seriously. But I also disagree with the idea that they should have castrated the lighting endinge for a small jump in resolution or MSAA. My long held position (want links?) is that I would take better lighting over more pixels in most reasonable situations. The fidelity of their shadows (notably on characters) and lighting to be some of the best this gen in execution. The game doesn't do a whole lot of other stuff well, so cutting back on the things it does best for meager gains in resolution and edge aliasing would be a really poor choice. It would have been like dumping the lighting/shadowing system in Doom 3 to get a 50% bump in character poly count. You don't trash the artistic focal point of your game engine to get meager IQ gains in other areas.

My posting history has a pretty strong record substantiating my affinity toward lighting and shadowing over resolution. My defense of Bungie's choice is more of a defense of my long held preference.

Another comment from the past that would give some context is the results we see in Halo 3 haven't surprised me at all.

Now that WOULD be awesome... but my impression has always been that Bungies strength is game design, not necessarily 3D technology. They make nice looking games with solid technology, top 5-10%, just not sure their next game will look better. You said may, so I know where you are coming from... I guess I am being a pessimist, especially since I heard they are using an upgraded H2 engine :(

That was way back in March 2006, before the E3 trailer. There was a strong rumor in this regards that notably included talk of 4 player coop.

While the crappy animations, low poly characters, etc are depressing they were also anticipated. The draw distance, scale of some of the enemies, number of enemies on screen, and 4 player coop definately impacted some of their technical and artistic decisions. I think it is also overlooked the variety of environments that appear in the game. Designing a game with 5 distinct environments is more difficult than making a game with 1.

The game isn't the technical masterpiece of the platform. I never expected such. Obviously it is servicable and one of the better looking next gen games out there. I also think some of the comparisons being constructed against games like Gears and Bioshock are disengenuous due to the gameplay disparity. While Halo isn't as drastic, comparing VF5 to C&C3 doesn't offer much insight on a technical level. That isn't to say that I think Halo is all it can be with its design choices in view, but I don't think comparing it to Gears or Bioshock as a comparitive level of graphical fidelity is on level footing either.

To be quite frank I haven't seen many reasonable comments inregards to Halo 3 IQ in this thread. The game has upward to 3 dozen characters on screen and a significant draw distance. What are some games with relatively similar design choices and how does Halo compare? Where did they fall below, meet, and exceed these previous efforts? What could they have done better overall? Was there better approaches?

For a technical site a lot of the IQ discussion has lacked a lot of technical points. The only concrete examples I can remember from this thread is pretty much dumbing down their lighting and shadowing model for more resolution and AA which would have been an utter disaster on about every level imaginable.

'Fake' screenshot's have always been a cause for scrutiny/call-outs on this forum, and certainly the 640p decision at Bungie would have been locked up months ago - I don't think any sort of would-be indecision is a viable case on their part.

It is much more likely Bungie had a number of contingencies in place. I do know they were, as recent as two months ago, still toying with MSAA. The engine is capable of MSAA & tiling and the intent was to ship with it enabled. It didn't happen.

Like I said, I highly doubt they would have released 720p no-MSAA shots to confuse Quaz51 for the very reason his method wouldn't have been impacted as such. The presence of bullshots and variable resolution releases are, I assume, the reason he loads up the real game and uses a digital camera to test the actual game.

Do we really think the itty bitty thread on the net caught Bungie's attention enough to hoax their PR shots when they couldn't even count on Quaz51 using them?

It's also a little unclear what you might have in mind by "meaningful solutions" - solutions to what?

Backtrack the thread a little. Dave doesn't believe in any fallout or misappropriation of information and that Bungie should have essentially mailed everyone a letter to let them know they weren't rendering in native 720p. Seeing as he doesn't believe it would be a PR issue, I would like him to suggest how HE would have gone about this issue if HE were Bungie.

e.g. 2 months before release, send out a press clip, "Halo 3 isn't HD" or whatnot.

Once he offers such a "plan" we can look at how it would have impacted PR as well as how it would impact past/present games with the same issue.

Back up.

But I also disagree with the idea that they should have castrated the lighting endinge for a small jump in resolution or MSAA.

What is special about the lighting system? I notice the HDR and the lights in the trees looks good. Indoors the game looks just like every other FPS. What should I look for when playing?

Also, does the scope of the game get larger towards the end? So far I don't see anything bigger than Halo 1, a few marines a maybe 5-10 bad guys. It's nothing GRAW1/2, Resistance, etc. hasn't done already IMO.

It's easy to pick up on the lower resolution, lack of AA and AF, I have a feeling the good stuff is more subtle.

What is special about the lighting system? I notice the HDR and the lights in the trees looks good. Indoors the game looks just like every other FPS. What should I look for when playing?

Also, does the scope of the game get larger towards the end? So far I don't see anything bigger than Halo 1, a few marines a maybe 5-10 bad guys. It's nothing GRAW1/2, Resistance, etc. hasn't done already IMO.

It's easy to pick up on the lower resolution, lack of AA and AF, I have a feeling the good stuff is more subtle.

It is one of the best examples of lighting available for a console visually, although this is just an observant statement not based on any technical merit. Im surprised you arent impressed by it. The indoor flood environments are particularly beautiful as well are some of the more clinical environments during a firefight.

The scale is rather impressive. There is scenes with 40-50 enemies, massive vehicles, and explosions galore. These can be found throughout the game Im surprised you havent come across them.

As far as Bungie and their statements and media surrounding the game, it really doesnt come as a surprise. Sure I would have liked to see a 720p Halo3, but in all honesty I wouldnt have noticed the difference in my setup (honestly I thought it was a rather good looking game except the last driving mission). Its not as if any of this is new news here (resolution adjustment started long before the HD era). If we are to crucify Bungie then perhaps there should be spreading such aggression towards other developers as well.

The thread seems more devoted towards demeaning or defending Bungie than it does any technical interests on the development.

Here's a technical note on IQ: I'm fully convinced that our studio could have delivered characters at the same poly count and texture budget that looked twice as good when viewed up close.
How much it would've enhanced the game is a totally different question.

Their HDR lighting is pretty cool because of the fine balance between direct and indirect light, enhanced by some kind of precalculated radiance / ambient occlusion.
I've said this before, if you view the intro sequence at a low resolution that hides low poly count and low res normal maps, it looks like it's pre-rendered - just because of the lighting.

Yeah, it's also interesting to see how many people have agreed when Carmack stated that the HD push is the wrong direction and it'd be interesting to see what these consoles can do at 480p, using their resources on doing more complex stuff istead of a higher resolution.
So where's everyone when games compromise HD for something else? ;)

It is one of the best examples of lighting available for a console visually, although this is just an observant statement not based on any technical merit. Im surprised you arent impressed by it. The indoor flood environments are particularly beautiful as well are some of the more clinical environments during a firefight.

The scale is rather impressive. There is scenes with 40-50 enemies, massive vehicles, and explosions galore. These can be found throughout the game Im surprised you havent come across them.

I'm only at the bridge level a few hours in. I'll keep an eye out for what you described, thanks for the heads up.

Back up.

Did I defend them? If so, show me where. I am challenging the assumption of another poster's rant which he has deposited as fact. That Bungie intentionally leaked 720p no-MSAA screenshots (mixed in with other screenshot resolutions with variable anti-aliasing methods) to headfake a couple posters on the interweb to be a fairly weak hypothesis.

No go ahead, you and Dave, prove me wrong. So far Dave has absolutely concluded Bungie did exactly this.

I don't consider a call for facts to be defending anyone.

It's just, why even discuss it? I can't understand feeling so strongly about it as to ask for evidence of what Dave was saying; yes, he has no proof - but at the same time the only sort of screenshot Bungie hasn't released, is one reflecting the actual resolution of the game! A crime of omission is still a crime. Now - again, I don't fault them and I don't care, but I mean... I think you both are getting a little too worked up about it. ;) At some point when they were releasing these screenshots, they would have known that things were looking likely to be 640p without AA. I don't attribute any sort of sinister intent to the move, but at the same time I don't default to an assumption of an innocent mentality on their part either.

As for defending Bungie, I actually have lamented the AA and AF issues. Specifically AF--I think it is ridiculous that so few games take texture filtering seriously. But I also disagree with the idea that they should have castrated the lighting endinge for a small jump in resolution or MSAA. My long held position (want links?) is that I would take better lighting over more pixels in most reasonable situations. The fidelity of their shadows (notably on characters) and lighting to be some of the best this gen in execution. The game doesn't do a whole lot of other stuff well, so cutting back on the things it does best for meager gains in resolution and edge aliasing would be a really poor choice. It would have been like dumping the lighting/shadowing system in Doom 3 to get a 50% bump in character poly count. You don't trash the artistic focal point of your game engine to get meager IQ gains in other areas.

My posting history has a pretty strong record substantiating my affinity toward lighting and shadowing over resolution. My defense of Bungie's choice is more of a defense of my long held preference.

I didn't say you were defending them from any other angle than the screenshot angle; as for the lighting system, you'll note that my post on the previous page agrees that I think they made the right move.

It is much more likely Bungie had a number of contingencies in place. I do know they were, as recent as two months ago, still toying with MSAA. The engine is capable of MSAA & tiling and the intent was to ship with it enabled. It didn't happen.

No it didn't, and the question is why it didn't. Now - if you want to take the conversation in that direction on the back of some insights you may have, I think we would all welcome the change of pace. :)

Like I said, I highly doubt they would have released 720p no-MSAA shots to confuse Quaz51 for the very reason his method wouldn't have been impacted as such. The presence of bullshots and variable resolution releases are, I assume, the reason he loads up the real game and uses a digital camera to test the actual game.

Do we really think the itty bitty thread on the net caught Bungie's attention enough to hoax their PR shots when they couldn't even count on Quaz51 using them?

Acert I don't even know what you're talking about with the above... who in the world ever said these screenshots were supposed to fool Quaz? Who even says they were supposed to "fool" anyone? It's just, I think they understood what might have happened if screenshots started coming out in 640p. And at the same time, if Quaz never did this, would anyone have? I mean, it truly was quite the effort to get this out.

Backtrack the thread a little. Dave doesn't believe in any fallout or misappropriation of information and that Bungie should have essentially mailed everyone a letter to let them know they weren't rendering in native 720p. Seeing as he doesn't believe it would be a PR issue, I would like him to suggest how HE would have gone about this issue if HE were Bungie.

Well, I think Dave is holding onto the issues a little too hard, yes.

e.g. 2 months before release, send out a press clip, "Halo 3 isn't HD" or whatnot.

Once he offers such a "plan" we can look at how it would have impacted PR as well as how it would impact past/present games with the same issue.

Personally I think Bungie handled it the best way that they (reasonably) could. BUT, at the same time... that doesn't mean that there's not cause to point a finger. It's just rather up to the would-be accusers now to weigh whether it's worth it or matters enough to make an issue of it. I don't think it does - but at the same time I recognize what these folk are harping about.

There is actually a wide selection of media from Bungie (everything from 1080p with/without MSAA, supersampled shots, sub-720p shots, etc). To make the assumption -- as you are -- that they intentionally released 720p shots without MSAA with the explicit goal to deceive any inquiry is assuming the conclusion you desire.
I simply find it hard to believe that Bungie didn't know what resolution the game would run at until days before the release, you can't be optimizing that late in the process. Their official response to this was that they didn't want talk of the resolution to divert the discussion of the gameplay - so obviously, they knew it would be running at 640p for some time.

So OK - let's say Bungie really, really intended for it to be 720p all along, and just couldn't do it without sacrificing the framerate, and went 640p at the last minute. Fine, shit happens. I would much prefer 640p at 30fps than 720p at 25.

What annoys me in particular though, is Bungies reply on this "issue" - a rather juvenile and snark response that basically paints the people who took the time to find out the resolution as obsessed shut-ins who have the power to destroy Halo3's sales if this scandalous info was released beforehand - apparently this cabal is only concerned with 720p, and apparently not AA as the obvious lack of it didn't mange to sink the company due to critical comments on webboards about jaggies.

As I've said before, from every discussion that has sprouted from this headline, I see far, far more people complaining about the "haters" and backlash against this "hype" than those who are actually concerned about this. It's this bizarre seige mentality when the barbarians are at home, collecting their toenail clippings.

Tilting at windmills indeed.
I am also curious why the dozens of other games no rendering natively at 720p or 1080p aren't held to the same standard of notifying people of this issue.
This has been explained repeatedly:

1) Halo3 is the biggest 360 game in its short history, and probably the biggest videogame launch of all time. Of course it's going to get 10times the media exposure and scrutinity of every other game.

That's the breaks when you're projected to sell over 8 million copies, and in turn get a ton of free publicity just from that. So I shed few tears for Bungie in this regard.

2) Quaz only came across a foolproof method to determine a games true resolution in the past few months. The games that were doing upsampling (although some were obvious to me, like Tomb Raider:Legends) were already out and media attention to them has passed.
Where are the other developers stepping up? Bungie is the only developer to even conceed this issue.
Probably because they're one of the few -if only- ones that were asked about this by the mainstream game media, and had pretty much irrefutable proof that they obviously couldn't deny.
And the only other developer I can think of who has received flak over the resolution issue is Bizarre Creations.
Yes, because it was also a large, popular franchise and one of the 360's premier titles - it's also running at a considerably lower resolution than even Halo3, it was obvious even without Quaz's help.

Funny though, the reaction was largely the same - the vast majority didn't care, and PGR3 was a huge success.
Dave, what do you expect from developers?
Answering a question about the resolution your game runs at honestly and without unecessary sarcasm?

Not releasing so many bullshots?

Not checking off "720p" on the back of the box when that's not its native res? That's likely more of an MS issue to be sure, they haven't helped by setting unrealistic "standards" like requiring 720p - standards that appear to be flexible if your game will be a big enough release it seems.

I'm not sure exactly why you wouldn't want console manufactuers/publishers/developers to be held responsible for the hype their create.
Does this standard apply to all games/developers equally?
Yes.
Or is it only for big releases right before the game is released?
Ideally it would be, but admittedly that would only be because I like to topple giants and destroy massive marketing campaigns from the safe confines of my one bedroom apartment when asking about frame buffer resolution.

I'm twirling my handlebar moustache as we speak.
It is easy to complain--lets hear meaningful solutions.
"Solutions"? What do you mean, exactly? What's the "problem" in the first place here? The theory that your PR hype may suffer slightly if you tell the truth about the resolution of your game?

Boy, what a pickle!

sorry if this has been posted but im too lazy to read through 9 pages

For the past few days, it has been discussed across the Internet that Halo 3 may not exactly be rendered in High Definition. Bungie has come out with a statement on their site confirming this:
One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at "640p" which isn't even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3's vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it's more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers - both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see - lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible - so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately "real" feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the "almost-720p" image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it's practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet's propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven't mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

Agreed. The lighting (and even shadowing) managed to instantly impress my hardcore elitist PC gaming coworkers.

As for scale, I've never played a console FPS with such massively open areas. Anyone who has been to the area where you
fight 2 scarabs at once knows what I'm talking about. Thanks to the theater mode, I could pause the game and count all the characters. I counted
9 Marines
4 Ghosts
1 Warthog
7 Hornets
1 Pelican
8 Brutes
9 Banshees
2 Scarabs (!!!!!)
1 Scorpion Tank.

And this was on Heroic, I wouldn't be surprised if Legendary ups that number. This was definitely, without any doubt in my mind, the biggest and best vehicle battle in a FPS that I've experienced. All this considered, the graphics were still impressive.

Of course, this battle was focussed on vehicles. I've seen battles in Halo 3 with far more characters on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back