The Darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you bought or rented both and compared, great job on solving that mystery :rolleyes:

Now we know the 360 is better and everyone should buy one (or two, just in case).

Lighten up Todd. This discussion is just stating the 360 version is superior. For people who own both consoles - like you - this highlights what should be the smarter purchase.

What's really interesting is why the 360 version is superior. Sure, the PS3 has more horsepower, but this is another example of that power being harder to extract, and the average developer can only extract a portion of the power they can on the 360. I wonder how much is due to hardware, and how much is due to development software. Interesting.

I wouldn't call the team behind riddick, average. Best looking game on the Xbox.

This is more likely a case of X360 being lead plattform

In any case, I think the idea is that the game is very good looking with some minor differences. I think its quite an accomplishment for a non-lead platform less than a year in the market to get this close. To some, the PS3 version may actually be better looking.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/thedarkness/review.html?sid=6173245&tag=topslot;title;2&page=2

The Darkness is available on both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, and the differences between the two versions are pretty minimal. The PlayStation 3 version seems to have slightly better color than the 360 version, but the 360 version looks a bit sharper. Also, the Xbox 360 version has achievements, and the PlayStation 3 version gives you the same tasks, but calls them accomplishments. Regardless of what you call them, they're evenly spread, with a few that come from winning more multiplayer matches than you'll probably be willing to endure. Overall, both versions are equally recommendable.

well if its sarcasm then i apologise, but im not entirely sure nobody agree's with what he wrote considering the track record of this certain section ;).

It was purely out of sarcasm. I figured devs get rolled under the bus all the time so why not throw the first stone out of my glass house :p

In any case, I think the idea is that the game is very good looking with some minor differences. I think its quite an accomplishment for a non-lead platform less than a year in the market to get this close. To some, the PS3 version may actually be better looking.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/thedarkness/review.html?sid=6173245&tag=topslot;title;2&page=2

When did they say which version was the lead platform?
I've heard that both were developed at the same time.

I don't know, but I think I read it in one of the responses in this thread. I suppose it makes sense though that the X360 is the lead platform considering the FPS-centric reputation of the Xbox brand, the userbase, and the recent trends.

I don't know, but I think I read it in one of the responses in this thread. I suppose it makes sense though that the X360 is the lead platform considering the FPS-centric reputation of the Xbox brand, the userbase, and the recent trends.

that's quite a leap, dare I say, kind of a silly assumption in fact. :p

I read that they were developed together by two different teams.

Where did you hear that? From Tap In?
And what do you think it even means? Two comparable sized but separate artist/developer teams?
I believe that's unlikely if the versions look identical minus AA and motion blur.

Anyway, game doesn't look impressive technically but certainly very interesting. If it had decent multiplayer, I would try it out sooner than later. My kind of FPS otherwise.

that's quite a leap, dare I say, kind of a silly assumption in fact. :p

I read that they were developed together by two different teams.

Well I suppose it wouldn't be the first time Ostepop was wrong about something. That said, while you might simply see it as a leap or a silly assumption, I and I'm sure others see it the X360 being the lead platform for this game as being reasonable given the circumstances I've mentioned and what lies in front of us.

Until we get some links, nothing more can be said except that the two are similar.

I thought the extra capacity on the BD disc was to afford the PS3 additional content which would show on the in-game tv's. Anyone know if that came to fruition?

I believe that's unlikely if the versions look identical minus AA and motion blur. .

well of course they would have shared all appropriate assets.

they did not develop in a vacuum just that one team optimized for PS3 the other for 360.

I thought the extra capacity on the BD disc was to afford the PS3 additional content which would show on the in-game tv's. Anyone know if that came to fruition?

yep there is a ton of tv stuff to watch on the PS3 version.

well of course they would have shared all appropriate assets.
Where do you think those assets come from? Are they created independent of hardware/engine/development tools/profilers etc?

My understanding is that artists and developers would be very happy if things were that easy.

they did not develop in a vacuum just that one team optimized for PS3 the other for 360.
It is very unlikely that they had hardware independent assets that were scaled down separately for each console and ended up with almost same game (minus AA), unless of course you think Xenos is basically RSX plus eDRAM goodies.

And don't think I haven't noticed you removed "what's hard to grasp?" part quickly. ;)
I appreciate the edit though.

not a reach that they worked on each simultaneously though... IOW the shortcomings can not be written off easily as "just a port to PS3".

Again just another example IMO that the PS3 is going to be tapped best and most by 1st party devs that have the time and money for the work necessary to get the same results that 360 yields or over time as tools progress for PS3 (as they are already)

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/thedarkness/review.html?sid=6173245&tag=topslot%3Btitle%3B2&page=2

I though this gif comparison of gamespot screens was interesting: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6861653&postcount=1640

It's useless if they're bad captures, but you can see a differences in IQ right away.

It is very unlikely that they had hardware independent assets that were scaled down separately for each console and ended up with almost same game (minus AA), unless of course you think Xenos is basically RSX plus eDRAM goodies.

And don't think I haven't noticed you removed "what's hard to grasp?" part quickly. ;)
I appreciate the edit though.

Why is it very unlikely..?

I think alot of people around here need to learn a little bit about multiplatform development and the wide variety of development practices employed by varying dev companies before they start spouting on about what is "likely" or "reasonable"..

I for one know of several companies who tackle the problem in vastly different ways..:-

- One may have a core team which develop on a "lead" platform and then siphons off assets and preview builds to and external team (whose codebase and content pipeline is already established) either in-house or outsourced, who then work to implement those assets into their version in a like-for-like manner according to the preview builds they recieve.. (Productive, but if the frame work and code base of the secondary platform is provided with "sub-optimal" assets then once production is well under way then code/engine & framework optimisations later down the line are severely limited.. However the solution to this problem would be a "from-the-ground-up" dedicated framework for the secondary platform and a DCC tool exporter to make sure all assets are formatted specifically for their intended platforms.. This requires significant forward planning and sufficient platform experience prior..)

- Another team may setup a complete multiplatform framework which allows the developers to "code-once-compile-many" in a sense where only a single team can work on the game. The art would be exported to a framework specific (as opposed to platform-framework-specific) format and then handled differently by the engine depending on which platform is being compiled to (anyone familiar with XNA would understand a bit about how this process works).. In this vein there is no "lead platform" and both versions are developed, tested and optimised by the same team.. (the biggest draw back is setting up the framework initially is much more intricate and complex and therefore often sacrifices are made with regards to peak performance on one platform for the sake of productivity, safety and robustness (see vector performance on the 360 when using XNA for a perfect example).. This means it's likely that the engine can never fully push a platform like the PS3 for example unless sufficient fore-knowledge of designing for the architecture is known before hand in order to build under-lying platform specific code which utilises the intricate, non-conventional/uncommon strengths of the system.. However even if this was the case then it still doesn't mean the system could ever draw the full potential of the hardware of any one platform due to the nature of overhead presented by the use of much more generalised higher-level constructs within the framework..)

There are other ways also developers can use to organise productive multi-platform development and the effectiveness of any in all cases is ultimately constrained to the proficiency/experience of the development staff, the nature of the complexity and commonality of the hardware platforms, time, budget etc..

So when it comes down to trying to figure out the reasons why some multiplatform game isn't as pretty on one platform than it is on another, you need to understand that without sufficient information regarding the specific working practices of that particular development team, the answers to such questions can be so vastly varied that it's just insensible to infer the so-called likely-hood of any of them (and especially with respect to what another completely unrelated development house has done in the past..)

How many multi platform games have to look and run better on the 360 before people realize in real world game scenarios the 360 is either equal to or better than the PS3 as a game console?

I'm contemplating picking this up today. I didn't read any reviews yet where the reviewer thought it tanked, in fact the lowest review I read was in the high eights. Player feedback is pretty high as well. The only aspect I keep reading isn't worth it is the multiplayer, which is fine I tend to lower my expectations for console games regarding MP anyway. Also I don't even have Live.....yet. Halo 3 will probably change that.

Maybe when multiplatform games on the 360 start looking better than PS3 only games.

Gears of War is still the best looking (released, playable) console game ever. so 360 has the best looking MP games to date and the best looking exclusives to date. CoD4 and UT3 on the 360 (MP games) are said to look better (by some previewers) than Gears.

not saying the PS3 can't/won't catch up (and surpass occasionally) but the evidence is mounting furiously that Swanlee is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back