Nintendo Media Summit: Reggie Speaks

Natoma

Veteran
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/05/nintendo_media_.html

Notes from the conference:

1) More than half of ALL GAMES sold in Japan were sold for the Nintendo DS. This actually isn't much of a shocker considering how much of a beast the DS is in Japan. Well, everywhere really, but particularly Japan

2) The number of female purchasers of hardware are up 42%. The number of people over age of 30 purchasing Nintendo DS is up 127%. Tighten that age range to people over 35, and the number is up 212#.

3) 40% of Wii owners have connected to the internet.

4) Third parties have sold more Wii games than Nintendo.

5) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption "will reinvent the control scheme for a first person shooter. It's the closest you can get to PC control in a [console] game."

2) The number of female purchasers of hardware are up 42%. The number of people over age of 30 purchasing Nintendo DS is up 127%. Tighten that age range to people over 35, and the number is up 212#.

These numbers are actually not all that impressive, when you consider what low #'s likely where starting points in those categories.

And there is the survey out today that 80% of Wii gamers are male, and 74% age 12-24...

These numbers are actually not all that impressive, when you consider what low #'s likely where starting points in those categories.

And there is the survey out today that 80% of Wii gamers are male, and 74% age 12-24...
That survey was said to be an online survey... could just mean 74% online gamers with a Wii are male 12-24. Online surveys are iffy anyway, but this one still show that 54% of those Wii owners weren't console players before. So regardless of validity, it still saying that the Wii is reaching a new audience.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14041

Link?

Well no doubt Wii is selling gangbusters either way. But it would be a fascinating turn of events if it still turned out it's audience was mostly core gamers, after all.

thatdude's post has a link to a report on the study.

5) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption "will reinvent the control scheme for a first person shooter. It's the closest you can get to PC control in a [console] game."

What an oxymoron..!

What are you "reinvented" if all you're doing is mapping an already establish FPs control scheme onto a seprate hardware device? (Which basically means that the control scheme hasn't changed, you're just adapting the peripheral you have to work along familiar lines..

Hehehhe.. PR.. :LOL:

Integrating an absolute pointing device into a non-rail shooter hasn't been done before the Wii, or has it?

What they are saying is that Wiimotes accuracy is closer to mouse than what has been available in the console world and that the controller itself is new across platforms. I don't see contradiction in that. I'm sure everybody is cabable of understanding what he said.

What they are saying is that Wiimotes accuracy is closer to mouse than what has been available in the console world and that the controller itself is new across platforms. I don't see contradiction in that. I'm sure everybody is cabable of understanding what he said.

The contradiction part is he talks about re-inventing and then about getting as close as possible to PC handling.

Besides, the PS3 has the highest accuracy in the console world, with its K+M support.

Understanding what he said and what he meant are two different things..

What he meant was fine but what he said was self-contradictory..

Sure we're capable of reading between the lines and understand what he "meant"..

But then again, surely someone of his position should be capable of saying what he means..

:D

Even if you try to understyand what he "said" he didnt say they are trying to make it as similar as possible to the PC control.

"... It's the closest you can get to PC control in a [console] game."

Infers directly that he sees the PC control system as the "optimum solution" and his "re-invention" comment implies that they have worked to diverge their own solution to get it as close as it could possibly be..

I don't know how you could disagree with that interpretation Nesh...? :???:

EDIT:
Anyway I find his emphasis rather strange to say the least..

Console FPSs don't need PC like control (unless your a PC die hard and then i'm sure you'll be getting enough of your FPS fix on that platform NEways, since there's more than enough of 'em..)

Halo, Timesplitters and many other console FPSs enjoyed the dual-analogue control system quite contently AND Halo has probably sold better than any PC FPS to date..

IMO games developers should be trying to fit the Wii controller around the unique game design concepts and not trying to retro-fit the controller to make it do things that we've all seen and played before.. Alot of the initial buzz of the Wii was around the "potential" of new and exciting control elements in games and so far most of what we have seen has been very conventional, uninspired applications of it..

If nintendo really want the controller to be a "revolution" as opposed to a "differentiation" in game control then they should start leading from the front of the pack in game/control design (as much as they are leading in sales..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Infers directly that he sees the PC control system as the "optimum solution" and his "re-invention" comment implies that they have worked to diverge their own solution to get it as close as it could possibly be..

I don't know how you could disagree with that interpretation Nesh...? :???:

EDIT:
Anyway I find his emphasis rather strange to say the least..

What I am saying is that the interpretation anyone can give depends on how he perceives what he said.

Even what you said.

For example you said "to diverge their own solution to get it as close as it could be".

Someone could appear and say to his friends "I went to a forum and a user called archangelmorph said they are trying to make it work like a mouse and Keyboard"

Another person at a different place would say "he said as close as possible to the efficiency the PC control method has"

A third person could try to create a whole picture by imagining the usage of the stick and nuchuck and say "he summed up in a few words: the stick enables you to move your view, target and shoot as if you are holding a gun and the nuchuck enables you to move easilly and independendly. As a result you get a unique experience when playing a FPS and at the same time offer all the advandages of keyboard and mouse"

There are all similar approaches that dont necessarilly express the same understanding

for once people should start trying to understand what the other person tried to say not trying to criticize what he said as if it was stated by a robot. We lack the ability to comprehend others. Even if you try to see what he said you will give a different interpretation from what another person will

Last edited by a moderator:
Back