Sony's cooking something for GDC?

Ahaha..apparently Kotaku has basically been 'excommunicated', so to speak, by Sony for posting this. Sony is a little pissed off right now. Take that for what you will.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-blackballs-kotaku-240860.php

Brian, This is an email I was really hoping I would never have to write, but it is what it is. When I came on board here at Sony, I made every effort to be as inclusive as possible to media and the blogging community in an effort to improve previously damaged relationships. This included getting people access to executives, opening our events to more individuals and personally responding as quickly as possible to inquiries. This was done in good faith with the thought that the people I was working with would operate with the same integrity and courtesy I think I demonstrated when I was a reporter. Basically, I went out on a limb for a lot of people -- people SCEA PR and SCEA management had written off. I caught a lot of flack for it from folks, but I felt strongly it was the right thing to do.

I am very disappointed that after trying to work with you as closely as possible and provide you and your team with access and information, you chose to report on this rumor.... I can't defend outlets that can't work cooperatively with us.

So, it is for this reason, that we will be canceling all further interviews for Kotaku staff at GDC and will be dis-inviting you to our media event next Tuesday. Until we can find a way to work better together, information provided to your site will only be that found in the public forum.

Again, I take absolutely no joy in sending you this note, but given the situation you have put me into, I have no choice.

Dave Karraker
Sr. Director, Corporate Communications
Sony Computer Entertainment America

Ahahaha. If this was any old rumour, they would not react like this.

Sounds like Kens 4D world is finally coming alive (3D world i real-time).

I think Ostepop owes Ken an apology. ;)

Harrison's keynote details leaked!!?

Details from Phil Harrison- Sony Computer Worldwide Studios
Keynote at GDC March 7th 2007:

Anouncements:

Firmware update available on the 8th for North America/Japan and Asia. European PS3's will be preloaded with this latest update.

Features of this latest firmware include:

More refined PS Store frontend
Playstation Network integrity enhanced
Wallpapers from pictures
Ability to change background colours

Sony Connect Store for music and movies added to the PS Store. Hundreds of trailers/full films/song videos and mps3's available for download.
Playstation Card option in PS Store enabled.
Playstation Lifestyle- Similar to my space/youtube. User generated content and experiences are the key.
+ more.

Removal of Emotion Engine chips in PS3's in NA and Japan to follow in April. Reason for this is to reduce costs and focus on enhanced opportunities via software. Benefits include the ability to upscale selected PSone/PS2 games to 1080i/720p.

Lots of development talk.
Release dates for key games. Warhawk in June/July 2007. Heavenly Sword delayed. Killzone and MGS4 in late 2007.

New content on PS Store available on the 8th:

Tekken 6 trailer
Lair demo & trailer
Rainbow Six Vegas demo
EA: Skate trailer
Battlefield Bad Company trailer
Warhawk demo
Virtua Fighter 5 demo
Virtua Tennis 3 demo & trailer
GRAW 2: trailer
Mortal Kombat 2 game
Killzone trailer

Killzone demo for May.

More details. Stay tuned on the 7th.

Is THIS FOR F***ING REAL!!!??

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=846685

You Can drop the 4D talk. This isn't the 4th dimension. Anyway that basically confirms the big news sony had. Sounds like a neat feature, but to use 96 megs of ram on every console for this is a bit much IMO.

I'm curious what this looks like.

You Can drop the 4D talk. This isn't the 4th dimension.
In Kens speech real-time was the fourth dimension, people being able to enter your "apartment" when you are online is real-time interaction. This is what he had in mind, like it or not.

Meh, that list has no foundation. Let's not mix our rumours and have their credibilities (or lack thereof) rub off on one another..the HOME rumour actually has some basis.

I thought MGS4 was officially slated for the end of 2007 anyway, dunno about Killzone.

Kotaku - big grain of salt - reports that they are hearing Sony will unveil "Playstation Home". Basically a 3D virtual room/space that holds trophies gathered from games and other tasks (think achievements), which all games henceforth will be required to support, and with your own avatar. You'll be able to visit other people's 'homes' online.

So basically it sounds like a cross between achievements, animal crossing, and miis..

Sounds plausible and in-line with the speculation that's out there, but of course it could be completely made up. But I kind of hope it's not since it sounds cool..but again, big grain of salt.

This would explain why a whole SPE is being used for the OS in the background. Would be pretty sweet if you could pull up your own Home or visit someone elses 3D home in the middle of a game.

That's still weird though. I think it's more likely for the request-on-demand SPE to load the Playstation Home. The perpectually-reserved SPE may just listen to events, service network requests, and perhaps perform other regular OS functions (including helping out in Playstation Home once it's loaded).

I thought 96Mb is the upper bound. Can people confirm ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought MGS4 was officially slated for the end of 2007 anyway, dunno about Killzone.

I thought MGS4 and Killzone were always Q4 07 as well, dunno why that would be a surprise. The more interesting things is the demo, but I won't go into that. Two different rumors as Titanio pointed out.

Removal of Emotion Engine chips in PS3's in NA and Japan to follow in April. Reason for this is to reduce costs and focus on enhanced opportunities via software. Benefits include the ability to upscale selected PSone/PS2 games to 1080i/720p.

Is THIS FOR F***ING REAL!!!??

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=846685

I don't see how removing the EE can suddenly allow for upscaling when the GS is still there???... Or have I made a mistake... And this is sony, where is the 1080p hooplah?

I'll take that leaked keynote points list with a grain of salt.

It sounds like too much. It would basically constitute a re-launch of the PS3. I guess making it a true-worldwide launch.

It's just too much tho. The only reason I can see for saving all that good news for so long would be to ride out the monumental tide of backlash Sony has seen for the last year. A tide which is now showing signs of receeding.

I'd say it's mostly bogus. Of course, if it is all true, I'd be extraordinarily pleased with my PS3.

Brian, This is an email I was really hoping I would never have to write, but it is what it is. When I came on board here at Sony, I made every effort to be as inclusive as possible to media and the blogging community in an effort to improve previously damaged relationships. This included getting people access to executives, opening our events to more individuals and personally responding as quickly as possible to inquiries. This was done in good faith with the thought that the people I was working with would operate with the same integrity and courtesy I think I demonstrated when I was a reporter. Basically, I went out on a limb for a lot of people -- people SCEA PR and SCEA management had written off. I caught a lot of flack for it from folks, but I felt strongly it was the right thing to do.

I am very disappointed that after trying to work with you as closely as possible and provide you and your team with access and information, you chose to report on this rumor.... I can't defend outlets that can't work cooperatively with us.

So, it is for this reason, that we will be canceling all further interviews for Kotaku staff at GDC and will be dis-inviting you to our media event next Tuesday. Until we can find a way to work better together, information provided to your site will only be that found in the public forum.

Again, I take absolutely no joy in sending you this note, but given the situation you have put me into, I have no choice.

Dave Karraker
Sr. Director, Corporate Communications
Sony Computer Entertainment America

aawwwww..... it's a break up letter...

I haven't read one in ages... lol

Back