PS3 internals

If the PS3 had a scaler chip surely it would be functional right out of the box, but the PS3 cannot upscale anything in it's current state so I'm guessing it hasn't got a scaler chip.

PS3 scales games from 720p to 1080p straihgt from the box, so it does have a scaler chip.

That's it. Design. Very nice IMO. You could almost hang it on the wall.
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to impress some net nerds like you an I though. 99.9% of all PS3s will never be opened, much less completely dismantled to the point the heat spreaders are exposed.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to impress some net nerds like you an I though. 99.9% of all PS3s will never be opened, much less completely dismantled to the point the heat spreaders are exposed.

I think you're getting worried about anything that shouldn't need worrying.

By the same token, you could wonder why manufacturers put any information on the chips at all, be it engraved or hand-painted.

In fact, between pressing 100million metal pieces with "CELL" written on it (cause they's not engraved afterwards, they're pressed like that) and pressing blank pieces of metal and then go back afterwards and write things on them, i'm not sure which one is more expensive.

DVD's:?: , must be a type london boy as PS3 does'nt scale dvd'as to HD. The only scaling that occurs in the machine is games from 720p to 1080p.

No. PS3 scales DVDs up to 1080p like all Bluray players out there (u know, the 2 out at the moment err). Heck, like most DVD players out at the moment.

I think you're getting worried about anything that shouldn't need worrying.

By the same token, you could wonder why manufacturers put any information on the chips at all, be it engraved or hand-painted.

In fact, between pressing 100million metal pieces with "CELL" written on it (cause they's not engraved afterwards, they're pressed like that) and pressing blank pieces of metal and then go back afterwards and write things on them, i'm not sure which one is more expensive.

I'm not worried about it (my PS3 will be one of the 0.01% that does get dismantled), I'm just trying to get my head around why they would bother that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. PS3 scales DVDs up to 1080p like all Bluray players out there (u know, the 2 out at the moment err). Heck, like most DVD players out at the moment.

Sorry dude,

On a down note, SCE informed us that DVD upscaling was not part of the PS3 multimedia feature set. The Xbox 360 upscales DVDs, so it's surprising to see SCE go without the feature.

Link

I just wanna know why the EE+GS is there? Sony, IBM and Tosh made the EE so why the hell cant they emulate it in software? Afteral they kow the chip design better then anyone and should breeze though it. Its not as if they havent got programers to do it either.

here...

Turns out PS3 will upscale DVD movies afterall, at least according to Peter Dille:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/06/t...entertainment/

Quote:
Because, that's something that actually kind of turned some heads is when Microsoft announced 1080p support. They also announced that they were going to be adding DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market.

Right, so I guess from a Blu-ray perspective, Blu-ray movies are obviously 1080p capable; the Blu-ray player will upscale DVDs -- your question's about why not PS1 and PS2 games?

So you're saying the PlayStation 3 will upscale DVDs to 1080p?

Yes. Oh, yes.

Okay.

That's part and parcel of the Blu-ray technology. I thought you were questioning about the PlayStation game aspect.

Yeah, this is also about PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games that are going to be played on the console.

Yeah, I don't know the answer to that, as I said. I thought that's what you're asking. Blu-ray does upscale the DVD movie experience. I'd have to check on the PlayStation -- we can get back to you on that.

I just wanna know why the EE+GS is there? Sony, IBM and Tosh made the EE so why the hell cant they emulate it in software? Afteral they kow the chip design better then anyone and should breeze though it. Its not as if they havent got programers to do it either.

They're working on it. The chip will be dropped in a later revision.

It was always meant to be there as its the only way to get near 100% backward compatibility out of the box. Emulation just wasn't good enough at the time of manufacturing. Sony hopes that in future, they will be doing emulators good enough to take out the EE+GS of the PS3 and save some money.

I read something the other day that said the emulator was almost complete.

As long as it's ready before the PAL launch I'll be happy.

I read something the other day that said the emulator was almost complete.

As long as it's ready before the PAL launch I'll be happy.

Why? What will change for you? Heck i'd prefer to have the PS3 with EE+GS there, cause the emulator will inevitably be less successful than the real hardware, unless Sony manage to do a miracle and create the "Perfect Emulator".

Back