PS3 internals

Fan (16cm)
I was right! It is larger than 120 mm. I think my guess was 150 mm. Big fan!

Why's the controller chip got such a larger spreader? What's that doing to generate heat?

And I'm guessing the Marvell chip is the Firmware?

Can we spot the PS2 RAM for the EE+GS as well?

What is the point of having nicely engraved heat spreaders telling everyone what the chips are?

Surely it's an unnecessary cost (although it does look good)

First impression looks good for the PS3

Looks like a embedded electronics design for a large scalle premium consumer product.

The XBox 360 looks like a cheap PC style Taiwanese mobo.

Power efficient in term of what? The non-major silicon components? Or the overall system power?
I was thinking of non-major silicon components; basically everything but CELL/RSX. It should be fairly obvious those are more power hungry than the XBox360 equivalents, I'm just arguing that the PSU and overall layout might be more power efficient. That would imply, I'll admit, that the chips are even more hungry than XBox360's, if it needs more raw wattage and it's more efficient with it! I ponder how much power that 160mm fan is taking too - probably not more than the XBox's fans combined. The costs in terms of cooling for the PS3 are much more in terms of heat sinks, heat pipes, and beefier PSU, after all.

Uttar

*surve saids* :yep2:
That makes me ponder who made the motherboard layout actually. VIA made the chipset, but did they design the board? At least, you could argue those guys have some experience in cost efficiency, considering their ASPs for PC products, hah! ;)

Uttar

Aha, the article seems still updating :smile:

Another Tech-on article
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20061111/123437/

fan2.jpg

:O That pretty neat.

If you notice the the blades on the fan are nearly straight (steep angle), which is normally really bad, since this formation stinks at creating airpressure, especially in tight spaces, even if it does push a considerable amount of air (the air pressure simply isn't focused when the blades are at such a steep angle). As a result, you never see fans with blades like that, they're just not useful, BUT Sony's gone and taken a negative and turned it into something useful by moving the heat sink from being in front/back of the fan to the sides, which in turn lets you make use of all the air the fan pushes despite it's incoherent nature. It's similar to GPU coolers, but because of the way they've oriented the heat sink it isn't as confining a design nor does it have to rely on tunneling, so the fan doesn't have to spin at as high an RPM to be effective. Nice.

I wonder which site is going to be the first to be brave enough to yank the cover off CELL.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Pana (posted at GAF) the EE+GS also looks like it has 32MB of Direct RDRAM attached to it a la PSTwo.....backwards compatibility is no small cost. What would you guys estimate the cost of it being?

According to Pana (posted at GAF) the EE+GS also looks like it has 32MB of Direct RDRAM attached to it a la PSTwo.....backwards compatibility is no small cost. What would you guys estimate the cost of it being?

Thirty dollars tops (bulk/mass production).

What's the 4th big processor on the PS3 motherboard? There are 4 big chips, one is the BE, one is RSX, one is EE+GS... What's the 4th one? It's close to the outputs so i'm guessing it's the video/scaling chip? Looks huge!

What's the 4th big processor on the PS3 motherboard? There are 4 big chips, one is the BE, one is RSX, one is EE+GS... What's the 4th one? It's close to the outputs so i'm guessing it's the video/scaling chip? Looks huge!

Yes i was wondering that aswel, it could be the I/O controller? a scaler as you said, or both.

Yes i was wondering that aswel, it could be the I/O controller? a scaler as you said, or both.

An I/O chip that big? Then again that's just the cover, the chip itself might be tiny... It just looks weird cause it's just as big as Cell, RSX or EE+GS...

It must be... a G80!!!!!!!111

:LOL:

What is the point of having nicely engraved heat spreaders telling everyone what the chips are?

That's it. Design. Very nice IMO. You could almost hang it on the wall.

Oh, and the fan is pretty cool too.

/coat

An I/O chip that big? Then again that's just the cover, the chip itself might be tiny... It just looks weird cause it's just as big as Cell, RSX or EE+GS...

It must be... a G80!!!!!!!111

:LOL:

Yes its big but it could also be the scaler aswel as the I/O, that would explain the chips size. :)

Hold on a minute....

Maybe its a FLUX CAPACITOR for PS3s 4D time manipulation :LOL:

It's Sony. They make hardware, and good hardware with good design, and they're proud of it. It's hardly going to cost them anything material to write "cell" or "rsx" on small metal pieces.

If the PS3 had a scaler chip surely it would be functional right out of the box, but the PS3 cannot upscale anything in it's current state so I'm guessing it hasn't got a scaler chip.

Huh? Of course it can scale now, at least it scales DVDs.

Back