Intel's answer to CELL, Terrace Kale

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
From PC Watch:

idf02_08.jpg

Oooh... Teraflop of performance! Sounds like they're talking about ice-cream... "A big dollop of chocolate, a big dollop of strawberry"...

Teraflop is the new black.

Aaaanyway, definitely interesting chip if it's as good as it sounds.

Yep, each core is fairly simple - the point here is the throughput for massive parallel data streams... or "long" chaining for the more complex tasks (Cell-ish like).
To me, it's more like a pseudo-FPGA for DSP applications. ;)

If john carmack hates cell, well, I don't wanna know what he thinks of THIS! :LOL:

The headache juggling 80 cores as opposed to just 8 will give him is sure to light up the entire texan night sky!

Well look on the bright side, if i had one of these on my PC, each core could have a process (i currently have 60 processes running on my PC and i'm not doing anything apart from downloading some stuff and posting here) and still have a couple left for anything! It's Microsoft's saviour! With this, they don't need to make their OS more streamlined efficient, they can just keep doing what they do best! :devilish:

The question is, SP or DP?

If SP then its not all that impressive compared to Cell since I doubt its as versatile, it doesn't seem to have a general purpose core and its clearly at a very early prototype stage all for a mere 4 times the performance.

Of course if its DP and they paired half of these cores up with a core2 duo, then released it within a year, that would be impressive! :p

Of course if its DP and they paired half of these cores up with a core2 duo, then released it within a year, that would be impressive! :p

I definitely think that my dream machine would resemble something like that; 4 or 8 conroe or k8l type cores paired with a dozen or two niagaraII or terascale cores, add on a unified shader GPU and I'd be all set!

I definitely think that my dream machine would resemble something like that; 4 or 8 conroe or k8l type cores paired with a dozen or two niagaraII or terascale cores, add on a unified shader GPU and I'd be all set until somehow games start requiring 16 cores, 36 terascale cores, 8 unified shader GPUs and more RAM than you could ever count!

Corrected ;)

Back